Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #561
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Dude, your the Eric Francis' of vaccines.

Just relax, Canada's getting lots of Vaccines, more every week, and Ab, BC, Qc are sticking people faster than they can get them. The governments story on timeline has been consistent, since Nov I've been under the impression that I was likely Aug/Sept and people like me would be May/June at the very best, nothing has changed. It's going as well as you could possibly hope.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:43 AM   #562
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife got the Pfizer vaccine on Sunday. Only side effect was sore arm for a day or two.
bubbsy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #563
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is lots to dislike about Trudeau, and I am happy to criticize him when he deserves it. But I also think it’s only fair to give credit when it’s due, or at least not to complain until there is actual evidence that he has performed poorly. In fact I try to do that with anyone, from my companies leadership, to Kenney, Trudeau, or Brad Treliving.

In this case, I have seen nothing to be particularly critical of JT and the Liberals. They used economic leverage and early timing to secure a variety of vaccines, and we are getting them as soon or sooner as most western countries. It’d be nice to be up there US for per capita vaccinations completed, but this is one where the money the US has thrown at it is reaping benefits for them. But we aren’t dramatically behind even them.

I expect JT will try to leverage a successful vaccine rollout into an election, and for many other reasons I hope they lose, but so far vaccine procurement isn’t one of them.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #564
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by GGG; 01-13-2021 at 09:30 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #565
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Do they give the placebo arm the vaccines once they become unblinded? I think it would only be fair.
I dont think they could give someone the oxford vaccine as it hasn't been approved.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #566
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sinovac's CoronaVac shows to only be about 50% effective. Not great news for the developed world it has been selling to. You need to get really high vaccination rates to make this worth it at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/b...l-sinovac.html

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-13-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #567
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not exactly a glowing review from that article:

Quote:
“This was one of the reasons the Americans and Europeans didn’t go with this older technology,” said John Moore, a vaccine expert at Cornell University. “A well-maintained Ford Model T would probably get you from Wuhan to Beijing, but personally I would prefer a Tesla.”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #568
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, probably a blessing that Canada's deal with them fell apart, it would suck to have gone all in on that.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #569
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

suspect we will see new updates regarding delivered vaccines throughout the day (compiled in the tracker), it looks like as of 10am Quebec's new shipment is there as their percent vaccinated has dropped
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #570
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
suspect we will see new updates regarding delivered vaccines throughout the day (compiled in the tracker), it looks like as of 10am Quebec's new shipment is there as their percent vaccinated has dropped
I had the page open from yesterday and the deliveries increased by 50,000ish when I refreshed.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #571
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada has now given enough COVID-19 vaccine doses to cover 1 per cent of the population

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...tion-1.5264794

Here's to the percentage, and hopefully even quicker to the next one.

Last edited by Muta; 01-13-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: word
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #572
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, probably a blessing that Canada's deal with them fell apart, it would suck to have gone all in on that.
The 50% efficacy one isn't the CanSino vaccine that Canada was involved with. The CanSino vaccine is a single shot adenovirus based vaccine, similar to the Johnson & Johnson one (the Oxford vaccine is also an adenovirus one, but 2 shots).

And despite what Erin O'Toole says, Canada was never going to go "all in" on the CanSino one. CanSino was just the first one they were negotiating on because the government wanted to run phase 1/2 (and perhaps phase 3) trials in Canada, so that meant signing on very early while phase 1 trials were going on in China. For the vast, vast majority of purchase agreements, countries didn't sign on to candidates until the phase 2/3 trials were beginning, which is why virtually all vaccine contracts by every country were signed in the summer and later (other than the US's OWS committments and a few isolated examples). And Canada would have done the same, even if the CanSino thing didn't fall apart. Might they have ordered fewer doses from other adenovirus based candidates? That's definitely possible, but it's also totally possible that they just would've ordered from 8 companies instead of 7. The country's method the entire time has been to guarantee doses for 10M people from each company and have options for more for each candidate. So while the government was probably blinded a bit by nationalism (the CanSino vaccine is based on Canadian tech), there's no real evidence to suggest that Canada wouldn't have had just as broad of a group of vaccine contracts regardless of what happened.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #573
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Canada has now given enough COVID-19 vaccine doses to cover 1 per cent of the population

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...tion-1.5264794

Here's to the percentage, and hopefully even quicker to the next one.
Baby steps.

Hopefully we can get to the point where the most vulnerable 5% is vaccinated ASAP. This alone, should have a fairly dramatic effect on deaths.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #574
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend got her second shot this week.

Sadly so far she can't report any super powers.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #575
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My friend got her second shot this week.

Sadly so far she can't report any super powers.
I dunno, being protected from Covid sounds like a super power on it's own. I'd take it!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #576
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

From a tracking standpoint at what point do we start accounting for second doses?

Dividing by 2 isn’t quite right as during the ramp up of deliveries first doses will exceed second doses by far. Should the calculators just incorporate a 3 week lag and assume all people vaccinated 3 weeks ago get second doses today and create an estimated numbers of people who have received 1 or 2 doses or will government tracking of that split be provided?
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #577
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
From a tracking standpoint at what point do we start accounting for second doses?

Dividing by 2 isn’t quite right as during the ramp up of deliveries first doses will exceed second doses by far. Should the calculators just incorporate a 3 week lag and assume all people vaccinated 3 weeks ago get second doses today and create an estimated numbers of people who have received 1 or 2 doses or will government tracking of that split be provided?
At least a couple of governments (Ontario for sure) are reporting how many doses ae 1st and how many are 2nd. The Covid 19 Tracker website is tracking this, but numbers are incomplete.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #578
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I know this isn't what you are asking, but in case people don't know you can toggle on the tracker between people vaccinated and doses given , so by subtracting you can assume how many have had their 2nd dose (spoiler : low so far)

I guess yes the lag somewhere between 3-6 weeks (jurisdictions may push that outer limit, although sounds like they really really don't want to esp for the most vulnerable, LTC etc). in fact I guess assuming they prioritized the right people the first time round those earliest vaccinated are likely amongst the more important to ensure a timely 2nd vaccination
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #579
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That's really great news. Is there an estimate number on how many front life medical staff and seniors there are in AB? As well as first responders. I think once those guys are all vaccinated, that would be another huge milestone.
Not quite apples to apples, but here are some numbers from Sask, which has about 1/4 the population of Alberta:

Long-term care and personal care home residents and staff.
Total number estimate – 30,584
Health care workers in emergency departments, intensive care units, COVID-19 wards and COVID testing and assessment staff.
Total number estimate – 10,000-15,000
Residents 80 years and older in all communities; followed by 79-75, and 74-70 in community as supplies allow.
Total number estimate for each age range:
80+ – 51,302
79-75 – 32,474
74-70 – 47,343
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #580
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
^^^ I know this isn't what you are asking, but in case people don't know you can toggle on the tracker between people vaccinated and doses given , so by subtracting you can assume how many have had their 2nd dose (spoiler : low so far)

I guess yes the lag somewhere between 3-6 weeks (jurisdictions may push that outer limit, although sounds like they really really don't want to esp for the most vulnerable, LTC etc). in fact I guess assuming they prioritized the right people the first time round those earliest vaccinated are likely amongst the more important to ensure a timely 2nd vaccination
I didn’t see the toggle on the website. If governments are in general reporting it it solves the non-issue. I just like to watch the data.