Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #521
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While I'm sure it makes sense given the lack of facilities, the number of doses to the territories seems crazy. By the end of February, Yukon will have received nearly 30K doses while having a population of 36K. That's enough for 2 doses for 40% of their population.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #522
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Booked my vaccine appointment today, getting it done on Thursday! Pretty slick system AHS has set up to book the appointments, was very easy. I’m pumped
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:34 AM   #523
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So I am guessing that starting with the next batch of vaccines that are scheduled to arrive, we will be starting to circle back to give the second shot. If that is the case, then the number of people may start to lag.
It is interesting that Quebec has decided not to double back while supply is limited, and instead hit more people with a single dose first, then double back later.
Not sure if it's a great idea or a bad one.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #524
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Are we though...?
Kenney said we could run out of vaccines by next week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ndro-1.5868688
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #525
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
It is interesting that Quebec has decided not to double back while supply is limited, and instead hit more people with a single dose first, then double back later.
Not sure if it's a great idea or a bad one.
News is reporting this morning that Phizer has threatened to cancel their contract with the Canadian government if Quebec proceeds with this as it constitutes use of the vaccine as it was not intended nor designed to be administered and therefore violates the contract that was signed. Hoping the Feds have a quick and harsh talk with the Quebec government about this. The reports indicated Quebec was considering delaying the second dose as much as several months, not just a few weeks.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #526
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've focused so much on provincial difficulty in administering doses, we've really let up on the federal government's ongoing massive failure to procure enough to meet demand.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #527
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We've focused so much on provincial difficulty in administering doses, we've really let up on the federal government's ongoing massive failure to procure enough to meet demand.
I too am somewhat concerned as well, looking at their projections, we'll still be under 10% at the end of March.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #528
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Still going on about this? I though the G7 was your standard:

Canada:

-~160 doses per 1,000 people by March
-guaranteed doses of currently approved vaccines for ~50% of the population by June (potentially closer to 75% if other vaccines are approved before then)

USA:

-~600 doses per 1,000 people by March
-guaranteed doses for ~55% of the population by June (higher if other vaccines are approved before then)

UK:

-haven't released specific quarterly numbers, but it looks like about 5-600 doses per 1,000 people by March
-based on their 2M a week goal, they should have enough doses for about 60% of their population by June.
-However, they're using a largely untested regimen on a vaccine with relatively low efficacy to achieve those numbers. This was necessary because they only ordered enough doses from the more successful mRNA vaccines to cover about 40% of their population in all of 2021.

Japan:

-Not even starting Pfizer doses until February/March
-Moderna isn't expected to be approved until May under the best-case scenario

Germany/France/Italy:

-155 doses per 1,000 of currently approved vaccines by March
-guaranteed doses of currently approved vaccines for ~25% of the population by June.
-Could be as high as 65% if 3 other candidates get approval before then, but by that same metric every other country's first half % will be higher if that happens too.

So the US and UK got a faster start and will be well ahead of Canada through Q1 (though the UK is using a questionable vaccine to achieve that), but Canada will likely move faster in Q2 to catch up; the entire EU is likely on par with or behind Canada through Q1-Q2; and Japan isn't even starting for months. The only country I'd put clearly ahead of Canada is the US, and then probably the UK; even considering they're relying on a much less effective vaccine their coverage should be quite good by the end of Q1.

Last edited by opendoor; 01-12-2021 at 11:59 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #529
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
I too am somewhat concerned as well, looking at their projections, we'll still be under 10% at the end of March.
It's been less than ideal so far, agreed.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #530
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's been less than ideal so far, agreed.
Based on what metric?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #531
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Based on what metric?
The glaring lack of cooperation between the provinces and the federal government being the biggest one.

Lack of transparency.

Changing timelines.

Threat of an election.

You want more?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #532
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
News is reporting this morning that Phizer has threatened to cancel their contract with the Canadian government if Quebec proceeds with this as it constitutes use of the vaccine as it was not intended nor designed to be administered and therefore violates the contract that was signed. Hoping the Feds have a quick and harsh talk with the Quebec government about this. The reports indicated Quebec was considering delaying the second dose as much as several months, not just a few weeks.
All I can find is the typical language you might expect. Nothing like threatening to cancel supply, just stuff like this.

Quote:
A Pfizer spokesperson said the company "cannot confirm that such consequences have been implied," but that "Pfizer has continued to encourage public health authorities across Canada to follow the Health Canada authorized dosing intervals."
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/montre...1_5262256.html

I would be happy to read anything that indicated a stronger stance. In article linked above, Legault has already said they would comply if not doing so threatened supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #533
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The glaring lack of cooperation between the provinces and the federal government being the biggest one.

Lack of transparency.

Changing timelines.

Threat of an election.

You want more?
I’d like you to expand on changing of timelines. My understanding was we have been 6 million by end of March and everyone who wants in end of September for quite a while.

Also for lack of transparency what would you be looking for in addition to what we have today? We have rough volume through to September and detailed volumes through the end of Feb and it appears these targets are being hit.

I don’t see the lack of co-operation as much as political posturing on who is causing delays When in reality the global supply of vaccine is causing the delay of which Canada is getting more than its share due to pretty good procurement. So you have the feds saying you got to get it in people’s arms and the provinces saying we are out. I see that as a positive tension that should drive better performance

Last edited by GGG; 01-12-2021 at 01:11 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #534
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
News is reporting this morning that Phizer has threatened to cancel their contract with the Canadian government
Odd, as the feds just announced we've acquired another 20million doses from them?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...id19-1.5869906
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #535
DoubleK
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Odd, as the feds just announced we've acquired another 20million doses from them?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...id19-1.5869906
This is great news.

Hopefully Alberta can get some doses faster as we've demonstrated the ability to deploy does quite quickly.

Very happy to see AHS step up after a slow start.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #536
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Lack of transparency.

Changing timelines.

Threat of an election.

You want more?
Michelle Rempel? Is that you?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #537
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

5527 doses reported yesterday, and over 52000 doses total given.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #538
MegaErtz
Draft Pick

I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today. Does anyone know if the second dose is the same as the first dose?
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #539
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine today. Does anyone know if the second dose is the same as the first dose?
Exactly the same
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #540
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Same dose, and it's worth remembering that side effects are more common after the 2nd dose than the 1st.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: