Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy is getting his vaccine today, which in addition to being great for him, is good for me because I win the over/under bet as to the date either one of us would get our first vaccine- a bet he is happy to lose

this has led to my new worst nightmare that my assigned vaccine day will be a snow day and I'll miss it (he's not in YYC so not a worry) (edit- I don't have a vaccine date yet, and unlikely to be imminent)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Getting vaccinated would be the only thing to get me out of the house today.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #23
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How many "critical front line healthcare" workers are there?

The 3 or 4 thousand that have been vaccinated already - how much if the total does that represent>?
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #24
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
How many "critical front line healthcare" workers are there?

The 3 or 4 thousand that have been vaccinated already - how much if the total does that represent>?

these are good questions. I don't really know. AHS has 100 k employees I think (many of which are not health care workers, or front line and not all front line health care workers are employed by AHS)

about 11 k physicians in the province I think

the first waves are ICU, respiratory techs and Long term care workers- I think (no real info to back this up) 1 and 2 are pretty much done, I don't have a good handle on the number for LTC

then you are into ER
then medical, surgical and covid wards etc

those have not really started yet
Old 12-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #25
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was vaccinated yesterday, arm is a little tender and I have a mild headache today, which could be related, or the fact that I am looking after a 5 year old all day.

Either way, I'm fortunate enough to be able to get the vaccine and as a result I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to work with those who require help in the next few months.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #26
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
So I was vaccinated yesterday, arm is a little tender and I have a mild headache today, which could be related, or the fact that I am looking after a 5 year old all day.

Either way, I'm fortunate enough to be able to get the vaccine and as a result I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to work with those who require help in the next few months.
Apparently the 2nd shot packs the punch- keep us posted!
Old 12-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #27
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

They aren't side effects, they are a "robust immunological response".

Body working as intended.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #28
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
I would not volunteer them at this point because I don't want to chance them getting the placebo.

I would give them the vaccine though, and they are all between 6 and 12.
Would safety tests for Children had a placebo arm?

I'm not sure that they would need to if they are safety trials and not efficacy trials.

I suppose the answer is yes for one, and no for the other who has had some fairly concerning allergic reactions. While I know the safety trials need to be done, if they have already done the adult safety tests, I am pretty confident that they know a lot about what will be safe for children.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #29
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Would safety tests for Children had a placebo arm?

I'm not sure that they would need to if they are safety trials and not efficacy trials.

I suppose the answer is yes for one, and no for the other who has had some fairly concerning allergic reactions. While I know the safety trials need to be done, if they have already done the adult safety tests, I am pretty confident that they know a lot about what will be safe for children.
They don't mess around with kids. At all.

But you do need a control for a clinical trial, whether that is a placebo or standard of care.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #30
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As of Tuesday at 10:55 pm CST, more than 26538 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine have been administered across Canada.
Quote:
0.071%
of the Canadian population has received at least one dose
https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

Might just be the site lagging behind, or I missed some bit of info regarding the vaccine rollout. But any reason the territories aren't getting jabbed yet?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #31
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was because it didn't make sense to send the Pfizer vaccine up north because of the storage conditions it requires.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, they don't have any of the -70 freezers. Kind of ironic it it's the coldest place in Canada...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
Knut

Exp:

NWT is getting the Moderna vaccine. Also they intend to have 70% of the NWT vaccinated by March.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #34
Knut

Exp:

http://globalnews.ca/news/7539137/mo...anada-approved

Moderna has been approved. Let’s get Jabbin’
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #35
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great news Moderna is finally approved.

I wonder if we are going to get into a situation where some people will be waiting to get their ‘preferred vaccine’. Like if the Oxford vaccine is available at 65% efficacy, but a person wants to hold out and get the Moderna option. Are we going to be discussing what brand we got stuck with, and will there be feelings of disappointment if you only got what becomes perceived as a lesser option?

Inevitably there is going to be a ranking of which ones are the best, as multiple options get approved. Having said that, it is wonderful that it is even going to eventually be something that is discussed, as opposed to ‘will there be an effective vaccine?’

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 12-23-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #36
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Festivus miracle!
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

I wonder if we are going to get into a situation where some people will be waiting to get their ‘preferred vaccine’. Like if the Oxford vaccine is available at 65% efficacy, but a person wants to hold out and get the Moderna option. Are we going to be discussing what brand we got stuck with, and will there be feelings of disappointment if you only got what becomes perceived as a lesser option?

Inevitably there are going is going to be a ranking of which ones are the best, as multiple options get approved. Having said that, it is wonderful that it is even going to eventually be something that is discussed, as opposed to ‘will there be an effective vaccine?’
I think we give away our Oxford doses to CoVax to support the vaccination of high risk people in other countries since we secured supply for September with between Moderna and Pfizer. Also Oxford has less stringent storage requirements so easier to administer in less developed nations.

If the anti-vax component really is 20% or greater a 70% vaccine starts to get close to not being good enough when you end with 56% population immunity.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #38
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Inevitably there are going is going to be a ranking of which ones are the best, as multiple options get approved. Having said that, it is wonderful that it is even going to eventually be something that is discussed, as opposed to ‘will there be an effective vaccine?’
As long as the whole package gets us to hers immunity won’t matter much?
Old 12-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #39
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think we give away our Oxford doses to CoVax to support the vaccination of high risk people in other countries since we secured supply for September with between Moderna and Pfizer. Also Oxford has less stringent storage requirements so easier to administer in less developed nations.

If the anti-vax component really is 20% or greater a 70% vaccine starts to get close to not being good enough when you end with 56% population immunity.
Agreed. I’m no Trudeau fan but I like the way they have handled this part. We have leveraged our wealth as a country to put us in a strong position for vaccine access, both in options and numbers. But once we have been able to take advantage of our collective affluence, I also expect we would be a strong contributor to helping the rest of the world get vaccinated as well, as it should be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #40
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
As long as the whole package gets us to hers immunity won’t matter much?
Absolutely, but on a more individual level I still expect that conversation. I’m referring more to the psychology of having multiple options and human behaviour, but for sure on a macro level it doesn’t really matter.