Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Celebrating the holiday season in 2020?

With little to no clarity at this point from governments in the Western Provinces as to what holiday restrictions will look like this year, I'm curious how people are planning to celebrate? Have you and your loved ones resigned yourself to a virtual only holiday season, or will you be celebrating locally or in another province regardless of any restrictions?

At this point we are considering an outdoor element locally (weather permitting) and are on the verge of cancelling our plans to drive and stay with
extended family in another province.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My step sisters are flying in to spend 4 weeks back home in Canmore. So that means my wife and I will be staying Calgary, given the risks. First time missing Christmas at home, other than the year we went to Thailand. It will be just the 2 of us. If the weather is nice we may drive out for an outdoor visit, as we often go for a cross country ski Christmas day at the Nordic Centre. But that will be it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My step sisters are flying in to spend 4 weeks back home in Canmore. So that means my wife and I will be staying Calgary, given the risks. First time missing Christmas at home, other than the year we went to Thailand. It will be just the 2 of us. If the weather is nice we may drive out for an outdoor visit, as we often go for a cross country ski Christmas day at the Nordic Centre. But that will be it.
Tough business for sure. It would almost be easier if the provinces stepped up now and took the option out of everyone's hands. It would certainly erase the need to have difficult discussions with family that may see things differently.

I certainly get the sense there are more than a few people sitting in the camp of ignoring rules in place this Christmas as well so that may not even matter unless they plan on physically monitoring road crossings and halting flights.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slowly but surely my folks are coming to the realization we won't be having a family get together for Christmas. I think my mom is still in denial about it, really hoping the province can put it to bed so we aren't fighting with them about it. I floated the idea to them of isolating for 14 days prior to Christmas, but they are turning into hypocondriacs, with a pile of doctors appointments in the weeks before Christmas.

Last edited by burn_this_city; 12-02-2020 at 02:17 PM.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

My brother and sister in law are planning to come (by air) and stay with my parents over the holiday. At this point I think my family will be opting out of Christmas celebrations and just do our own thing.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't know what to do. It is very likely to be the last Christmas with my wife's father due to cancer.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
chedder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm set to have surgery right before christmas, barring a covid related postponement. So I'm good to just ring my bell from the couch and have my spouse and kids jump up to serve my wishes. Does suck that my parents won't be here for dinner unless the rules miraculously change.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm struggling with this, just for my mother. She seems to be in denial as well, and seems to think that a large family dinner is in the offing (it's not). At the same time though, she's isolated, and we won't entirely leave her alone on Christmas. We haven't really figured out what that means at this point, because it's such an impossible decision. Her health hasn't been great this year, and of course we don't know how many more Christmases she has, but obviously we don't want to hasten that by irresponsibly gathering this year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Merry Christmas Mom! I brought you and Dad some Covid this year!”

I’m joking of course, but the sad thing is that it WILL happen this year, somewhere. It’s not even a question of “if”. And as awesome as 2020 has been, I don’t want to cap off the year by being the one who gets to tell that story...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% virtual, except for my immediate household family. Still working on how to shift that to virtual too.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a few propane fire pits so weather dependent we might have a brief outdoor visit/gift exchange but that will be the extent. If the weather is garbage we will likely do a drive-by/gift drop off with everyone in masks.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waiting for guidance from the BC government and if it is a go-ahead, our family bubble will isolate for a week separately before seeing each other.

Otherwise, it's me and the gal making roast lamb at home.

Not so bad either way.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #13
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

We normally have extended family at a large Christmas dinner of around 25 people, but this year it'll be just our immediate family, which is just my parents and myself. I'm not married and have no kids and I live a 20 minute drive from my parents' place. I was considering not going to see my parents at all this Christmas, but being single I think the risk is low and going to have dinner with them should be safe. I'm already fairly serious about staying safe and away from people but the 10 days or so leading up to the dinner this year, I think I'll stay at home the entire time.

Dinner with parents on 24th and spend the day in with the gf on the 25th.

Last edited by activeStick; 12-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I like about the pandemic is the adversity it is putting on Christmas.

Man I hate Christmas.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #15
bagofpucks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Our hope was my brother (who is a teacher) would get a negative test and he and his wife would spend some time with our mom and my family. My mom helps us with our kids, so she’s been part of our bubble since March. At this point, I think this is completely off the table, so we will just spend time with my mom.

On my wife’s side of the family there are a few folks who are still working in non-WFH situations and even more folks that aren’t taking it seriously, so our plan has always been just to do gift drop offs and FaceTime.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m currently bracing for the inevitable nuclear fallout I’ll be facing due to differing opinions on how serious this situation is. It’s going to suck.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
We don't know what to do. It is very likely to be the last Christmas with my wife's father due to cancer.
This has to be the worst. All things being equal, writing off one Christmas really shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone.

Except people in this position. It's hard. Every Christmas that comes and goes with my mum still being alive is a minor miracle. Really hope she's still around next year and we can do it properly.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #18
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Xmas alone in 30 years ...got my boy for Xmas day to the 27th ...he's 14 and is having a tough time watching the Xmas and I from the sidelines.

Gonna be going to the cottage Xmas day hanging out having fires and hikes .

He loves Christmas....I find it painfully difficult being away from my dad who could pass at anytime but his health and covid just would jive .

Let's just say this CP....I want to be posting with all of u In the future when we hoist a silver trophy in the air and we are mask free and loving life and celebrating this bump in the road Together.

Please be safe by brothers and sisters of CP.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
With little to no clarity at this point from governments in the Western Provinces as to what holiday restrictions will look like this year, I'm curious how people are planning to celebrate? Have you and your loved ones resigned yourself to a virtual only holiday season, or will you be celebrating locally or in another province regardless of any restrictions?

At this point we are considering an outdoor element locally (weather permitting) and are on the verge of cancelling our plans to drive and stay with
extended family in another province.
going to be at home with my wife and kid. no visiting anyone else, and nobody coming to our house.
both our aged mothers will be home alone in their apartments.

with the exception of Santa. We told our kid that Christmas magic makes him Covid immune.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #20
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not much.

I don't particularly like Christmas, and neither does my wife. We lost my father in law on Christmas eve last year under horrible circumstances, so that pretty much seals the deal on Christmas in my household forever.

The flipside is my mother loves Christmas, but we're all taking this seriously so there are zero plans to visit etc. I've always liked seeing friends and family over Christmas, but I despise all the other aspects haha.

Mostly the music.. Oh man do I hate Christmas music.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post: