Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #1541
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

lol, my kids have been back to school from their 2.5 week break for four days and they already have a PD day this Friday. Never ceases to amaze me the slack teachers have been able to negotiate into their contract year after year.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #1542
Dynamic
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Dynamic; 01-07-2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Thinking again
Dynamic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dynamic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #1543
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, my kids have been back to school from their 2.5 week break for four days and they already have a PD day this Friday. Never ceases to amaze me the slack teachers have been able to negotiate into their contract year after year.
Do you understand that a Professional Development day is not a day off for teachers? It is a day where they continue their education on how to best do their job, and to make sure that each teacher in the province is on the same page in terms of presenting the curriculum.

It's a day off for your kids. Put them to work. Send them to the mines.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #1544
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure why they are sending grades 7 to 12 back to finish out the last couple of weeks of the semester. Transitioning from one format to another is not easy on the teachers or the students. Simply let them finish online, and then move into in-person teaching for the next semester.

Education is such an afterthought for this government.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #1545
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm not sure why they are sending grades 7 to 12 back to finish out the last couple of weeks of the semester. Transitioning from one format to another is not easy on the teachers or the students. Simply let them finish online, and then move into in-person teaching for the next semester.

Mental health is the major factor here. My son has been having anxiety and stress over online learning. He just struggles with it. My wife took him to the ER at one point because he was having chest pain. The doctor told them that they're seeing a lot of middle and high school kids coming in with similar problems. Mental health in kids is taking a huge hit right now.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #1546
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am actually struggling with something that I could use some input on.

Since the beginning of the school year, Rocky View County has been using Bioesque disinfection agent to fog their schools. Unfortunately, a friend of mine has an allergic reaction to this product, that results in a headache that lasts from contact until about six hours after leaving the building.

RVS has allowed the janitorial staff from each school to decide how the agent is to be applied, and when. Talking to a couple of teachers in town from different schools, the application varies quite dramatically, with my friend's school being the most fogged by a long shot.

They fog during the school day, extensively at night, and you can smell the product coming off of the school building in the times where I have parked out front in the drop off area.

If you check the Bioesque site, this is not being used correctly or safely.

After being away from the school for a while, it's clear that it will be difficult for my friend to go through months of headaches once again. If this product was used in the correct way, would it be a problem? Impossible to know under current circumstances. The school administration, health and safety for the School county are all aware of the problem, and no changes have been made to come in line with less aggressive measures being taken at other schools. My friend is not the only one with issues, but because of my proximity, is the one that I'm am concerned with.

What are the ethics involved in dropping a dime on a media outlet, or even community social media? (I realize that this is a water downed version of doing just that!)
Old 01-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #1547
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am actually struggling with something that I could use some input on.

Since the beginning of the school year, Rocky View County has been using Bioesque disinfection agent to fog their schools. Unfortunately, a friend of mine has an allergic reaction to this product, that results in a headache that lasts from contact until about six hours after leaving the building.

RVS has allowed the janitorial staff from each school to decide how the agent is to be applied, and when. Talking to a couple of teachers in town from different schools, the application varies quite dramatically, with my friend's school being the most fogged by a long shot.

They fog during the school day, extensively at night, and you can smell the product coming off of the school building in the times where I have parked out front in the drop off area.

If you check the Bioesque site, this is not being used correctly or safely.

After being away from the school for a while, it's clear that it will be difficult for my friend to go through months of headaches once again. If this product was used in the correct way, would it be a problem? Impossible to know under current circumstances. The school administration, health and safety for the School county are all aware of the problem, and no changes have been made to come in line with less aggressive measures being taken at other schools. My friend is not the only one with issues, but because of my proximity, is the one that I'm am concerned with.

What are the ethics involved in dropping a dime on a media outlet, or even community social media? (I realize that this is a water downed version of doing just that!)
It's a long shot, but have they contacted the minister of education and health? Or Dr Hinshaw's office? If they are using a product like that off-label they could be in some trouble, despite whatever the school board thinks.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #1548
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's a long shot, but have they contacted the minister of education and health? Or Dr Hinshaw's office? If they are using a product like that off-label they could be in some trouble, despite whatever the school board thinks.
I am a fan of maximum escalation.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #1549
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am a fan of maximum escalation.
The great thing about email is it takes basically zero effort to cc as many government people and media as you like. And if you don't bcc, they all get to see how worried they should be based on who you send it to.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #1550
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Bizarre. Not other schools.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #1551
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Bizarre. Not other schools.
Seems like there is a lot of variability. A friend of mine said that her kid's school was off on Monday and they didn't start online learning until Tuesday. My kid's school is off on Friday.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #1552
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Employers have an obligation to ensure chemicals are used safely and in line with manufacturers instructions and SDS sheets.

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_087.pdf

Part 4 and Part 29 may be relevant

Part 4 covers the maximum exposure limits to various substances and the requirement to establish exposure limits to unlisted substances.

Part 29 covers WHIMIS which provides the requirements for providing the Saftey information for all chemicals used at a work place

I’m not sure if schools are required to have a joint health and safety committee as required by Part 13 or not but if they do than raising complaints through that body would force them to be addressed.

If that doesn't work you could report an unsafe condition through the OHS website

https://www.alberta.ca/report-unsafe-work.aspx

Also would the union do anything. Ensuring a safe work environment should be one of the primary functions.

Last edited by GGG; 01-07-2021 at 07:47 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #1553
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

When my kids were in high school (CBE) they went back to class for about a week after Christmas and then everyone went home for pretty much the entire month of January it seemed while Grade 12's wrote diplomas and grade 11/10 wrote finals. They didn't want anyone else in the school while other were writing finals (I guess) so there was essentially no classroom instruction going on in January anyhow. I would think they could have worked that into the shutdown, it doesn't make sense to send high school kids back when there wasn't much to send them back to in the first place.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #1554
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
When my kids were in high school (CBE) they went back to class for about a week after Christmas and then everyone went home for pretty much the entire month of January it seemed while Grade 12's wrote diplomas and grade 11/10 wrote finals. They didn't want anyone else in the school while other were writing finals (I guess) so there was essentially no classroom instruction going on in January anyhow. I would think they could have worked that into the shutdown, it doesn't make sense to send high school kids back when there wasn't much to send them back to in the first place.
Yeah my daughter is in high school and with exams she's basically got a few weeks off (aside from the tests). Apparently the exams can't hurt your mark now, they can only help it. I kind of get this, because this firs semester was a mess with Covid and it seems fair. It's also easy for kids to say "it really doesn't matter what I score" though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #1555
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Seems like there is a lot of variability. A friend of mine said that her kid's school was off on Monday and they didn't start online learning until Tuesday. My kid's school is off on Friday.
My kids go to two different schools. So of course their PD days are never the same.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #1556
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My kids go to two different schools. So of course their PD days are never the same.
My kids have Monday off for a PD day. The end is in sight... 4 more days.
Boblobla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #1557
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

The biggest challenge with remote learning this week has been that it is a mixed class of Grade 3s and Grade 4s. And the teacher largely teaches to the grade 4s, so she is asking the grade 3s to do things that are simply beyond their current skill levels.
Remote learning is already challenging, why would they mix different grades in?
Some of the decisions are simply idiotic.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #1558
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The biggest challenge with remote learning this week has been that it is a mixed class of Grade 3s and Grade 4s. And the teacher largely teaches to the grade 4s, so she is asking the grade 3s to do things that are simply beyond their current skill levels.
Remote learning is already challenging, why would they mix different grades in?
Some of the decisions are simply idiotic.
Thats too bad. My son is in a 1/2 split, and the teacher does an activity with gr 1 and gr 2 have an independent work activity. Then they switch.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #1559
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Transitioning from one format to another is not easy on the teachers or the students.

I disagree. Coming back to school has been massively positive for my kids’ mental health and I don’t think they’re alone. I think the government agrees that this is a net positive and that’s why they’re back. Not because the government doesn’t care.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #1560
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I disagree. Coming back to school has been massively positive for my kids’ mental health and I don’t think they’re alone. I think the government agrees that this is a net positive and that’s why they’re back. Not because the government doesn’t care.
+1. They specifically said they want to continue to minimize spread (which is why the other restrictions, eg indoor dining) remained, but they felt in person school was important.

Even if you disagree with that assessment it isn't obviousy wrong or objectionable to say in-person school is more important than indoor dining, etc, I don't think.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: