Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #201
keenan87
Franchise Player
 
keenan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flames Town
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's not just profit and loss though. When you run a small business (particularly fledgling businesses), the owners put up all of their life savings, pledge their home as collateral and things like that. So, when that guy down the road has his business fail, it's not about "I didn't make as much money this year", it's "I lost everything". That's devastating.

And yeah, people should follow the guidelines, but try to have a little empathy for people who are literally in desperate times here.
Never said I don't have empathy for people following guidelines. It sucks and I hope for the best for them.

Its the other idiots who are whining but not following guidelines .. I just went for a walk a week or so ago and the tiny local barber shop had 10 people standing and sitting around 3 chairs in the waiting room (only a couple of people wearing masks). I know I sound like a cold person but I would have zero care if a business like that went bankrupt.. because they are adding to the problem and shooting themselves in the foot
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

I have a very sneaking suspicion that Slava is right about lockdowns on the other side of January.

Thanksgiving was a disaster. The Christmas restrictions might have been too little, too late, plus all of the people who are ignoring them anyways...I dont know.

Next Tax Season is going to be wild. I dont know if I should be expecting the Government to either throw their hands up and admit defeat or come down like hell-bent Tyrants.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #203
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have a very sneaking suspicion that Slava is right about lockdowns on the other side of January.

Thanksgiving was a disaster. The Christmas restrictions might have been too little, too late, plus all of the people who are ignoring them anyways...I dont know.

Next Tax Season is going to be wild. I dont know if I should be expecting the Government to either throw their hands up and admit defeat or come down like hell-bent Tyrants.
Maybe we just don't need to pay tax? I mean really, the government seems to be able to finance everything anyway, so maybe we can cut to the chase and just go on with our lives without taxes?

(It's a joke, in case anyone plans on discussing this. Although no tax would be pretty amazing)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #204
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player
 
VladtheImpaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe we just don't need to pay tax? I mean really, the government seems to be able to finance everything anyway, so maybe we can cut to the chase and just go on with our lives without taxes?

(It's a joke, in case anyone plans on discussing this. Although no tax would be pretty amazing)
Truly. There is an apparently endless supply of it, so why must we play this time-consuming shell game, and pretend to give some of it back? Just print it and give it to us - let's not bother with the charade...
__________________
Cordially as always,
Vlad the Impaler

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #205
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Truly. There is an apparently endless supply of it, so why must we play this time-consuming shell game, and pretend to give some of it back? Just print it and give it to us - let's not bother with the charade...
I don't understand why someone didn't think of this sooner to be honest. Need more money? Just print more. I can't see a downside.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #206
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Truly. There is an apparently endless supply of it, so why must we play this time-consuming shell game, and pretend to give some of it back? Just print it and give it to us - let's not bother with the charade...
This is essentially the monetary theory we are operating under. For as long as inflation remains printing money has no consequence.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #207
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

I’m not sure I know what you mean exactly by “for so long as inflation remains”? Are you insinuating there’s some kind of economic model where inflation doesn’t exist or something?

Personally I think inflation is going to be insane in Canada in the not too distant future, and Canadians lives are going to... well...
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #208
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m not sure I know what you mean exactly by “for so long as inflation remains”? Are you insinuating there’s some kind of economic model where inflation doesn’t exist or something?

Personally I think inflation is going to be insane in Canada in the not too distant future, and Canadians lives are going to... well...
I’m missed the word low at the end there. As long as inflation remains low printing money doesn’t have a negative affect.

It’s speculation that inflation is going to become insane in the future. Based on older economic theories it should already be insane but just chugs along at a nice rate. I think it’s because asset price increases have been eating up the excess money rather than inflating consumer prices and those asset values can come crashing down which would cause massive wealth loss rather than inflation to catch up to asset values.

Something will happen to make available labour line up with money available we don’t know what it is. The other option is increased taxation to remove excess money from the market rather than inflation. The problem is that the US is setting the rules to the game and currently it’s massive money printing, so you might as well go along with it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016