Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #2501
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the issue is that all the improbable fight scenes in the first movie that were somewhat cool become kind of redundant in the sequels to the point where Chapter 3 wasn't really that great. I get that he's the best hitman of the bunch but surely other qualified hitmen could surmise better plans than simply running up to him with a knife or gun in their hand when simply hiding on a roof with a sniper rifle would take care of business quickly and easily. Why do men with guns even run at the person they are trying to kill when they can just stand there from a distance and unload their clips in him while he's fighting several other dudes in hand to hand combat? I get that you have to suspend your level of disbelief for a movie like this but it becomes a little boring watching the same old scene of several people running at him and getting beat up over and over. I still like the movies but I would hope that they have a better story and more action scene creativity in chapter 4.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #2502
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean almost any movie who's premise starts with "An assassin" you can pretty much immediately dismiss as something that's going to be pretty weak on story. Proceed accordingly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #2503
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I mean almost any movie who's premise starts with "An assassin" you can pretty much immediately dismiss as something that's going to be pretty weak on story. Proceed accordingly.
Disagree.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #2504
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the John Wick movies are perfect at being what they are. Reminds me of Stranger Things in Netflix. Not the best show on television but maybe the best at hitting its mark consistently.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #2505
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
IMO the John Wick movies are perfect at being what they are. Reminds me of Stranger Things in Netflix. Not the best show on television but maybe the best at hitting its mark consistently.
The first John Wick was a rare iconic action movie that came out of nowhere. It resonated because of its simplicity and world building elements. The plot was simple and the story resonated because the character had clear motivations. To me, the movie was about redemption and whether or not it's entirely possible. And then things got blown up and shot real good.

I think the sequels made some (common) mistakes in that they focused in on developing the world building rather than the character.

I want to know more about how the world revolves around John Wick and less about how John Wick fits inside this ever-expanding world. The sequels didn't really do that... to me at least.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #2506
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Speaking of crap action movies, just watched John Wick 2. Keanu is fine but that was some ridiculous, infantile garbage.

Not in the league of Fast & Furious but still overrated.
I'm with you. I actually didn't mind the first, but the second I felt was like playing Doom with iddqd on. Haven't bothered with the third
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 PM   #2507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was watching Battle Las Angeles tonight, I forgot how much I liked this movie. Especially since the Aliens fought like soldiers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #2508
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 were great. Great villain, an insane Gary Busey, Mel Gibson smoking 10 packs a day and running at a sprint for 30 miles while accurately killing bad guys.

The ultimate line

M - "God hates me"
Riggs - "Hate him back it works for me"

3 was terrible, it just didn't work, they took the edge off of Riggs.

I kind of liked 4, but that's because Jet Li was an awesome baddie in that movie, and defined that quiet guy that was awesome when he decided to do something.
I agree, 1 and 2 are the clear standouts from that series. Perfect chemistry between the two leads, great dialogue, terrific action sequences, over the top violence, and a good sense of humor.

3 was pretty weak story-wise and had the worst villain of the series. You could tell they were starting to run out of steam by that point, and it just seemed to be missing that magic ingredient that the first two movies had.

4 was better than 3, but they tried to squeeze in too many characters and went a little overboard with the comedy, resulting in some of the action scenes feeling more like slapstick and less like the pure balls-to-the-wall action flicks that 1 and 2 were. Jet Li was awesome though, especially in this scene:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 AM   #2509
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Decided to watch "Now You See Me" this afternoon. Found a blu ray version in the local Sally Ann. Loved this one and will have to watch the sequel.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:47 AM   #2510
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Maybe lower your expectations on the sequel though.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #2511
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The real difference is that Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 were dark action movies.

3 and 4 were buddy comedy action movies.

I mean, most of 1 is about Murtaugh wanting to kill himself. Any laughs were dark comedy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #2512
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

This is a silly discussion. Watch The Last Boy Scout which is objectively the pinnacle of dark comedy/buddy cop/Shane Black films.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #2513
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The real difference is that Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 were dark action movies.

3 and 4 were buddy comedy action movies.

I mean, most of 1 is about Murtaugh wanting to kill himself. Any laughs were dark comedy.
You mean Riggs, Murtaugh was too old for this sh%%

On one side you had a cop close to retirement and ready to go, and probably make sure that he just got through alive, and maybe didn't care as much about being a cop.

On the other side you had an unbalanced suicidal cop, that really didn't care all that much what happened.

It was a great plot balance.

I always kind of chuckle at the writers struggle.

1st movie

The baddies kidnap Murtagh's daughter and try to kill Riggs - "He goes into manic now I'm pissed over drive"

2nd movie

The baddies kill cops, and then kill Rigg's girl and he finds out his wife was murdered. Riggs has his psychotic break

3rd movie

Riggs wipes out on a motor cycle and dislocates his shoulder . . . complete psychotic I'm angry now break" He was more angry about falling off a bike then the rookie cop who was murdered just 5 minutes before.

hmmm

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-14-2021 at 09:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #2514
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
This is a silly discussion. Watch The Last Boy Scout which is objectively the pinnacle of dark comedy/buddy cop/Shane Black films.
I imagine a lot of people have seen The Nice Guys with Crowe/Gosling at this point. If you haven't, it's one of the best movies of this genre in the 2000's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #2515
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I imagine a lot of people have seen The Nice Guys with Crowe/Gosling at this point. If you haven't, it's one of the best movies of this genre in the 2000's.

There are some cult movies that for the life of me I can't explain, but people love it. Personally it labored on, didn't have particularly strong dialogue nor story. A lot of people loved it, so there's a higher probably it's just me.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #2516
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
There are some cult movies that for the life of me I can't explain, but people love it. Personally it labored on, didn't have particularly strong dialogue nor story. A lot of people loved it, so there's a higher probably it's just me.
IMO it's a brilliant movie so probably just you, but you aren't alone when it comes to not liking what is universally touted as the Avenger movies do nothing for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #2517
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of those movies that i could watch a million times and literally laugh out loud every time. Shane Black is great at creating funny personal interactions.

Even Iron Man 3, which wasn't great, had some great personal dialogue.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #2518
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
No Country For Old Men. You can apply exactly what you wrote to that movie for me so I get it... different strokes and all.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #2519
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Hanks new movie, News of the World, is excellent. Wife and I really enjoyed it. Helena Zengel, the young lady who plays opposite Tom was excellent.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #2520
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Watched American Skin yesterday - man what a tough watch with all that is going on right now in the US. Thought it was well done and very thought provoking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote