Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #541
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I know it can be tough, it's always a confidence killer with regards to health and the feeling of letting down others.

Don't over think things, it's not easy but things will get better. I am not sure about your specific heart surgery but it's no laughing matter either way. It's a long process and for some people it's 6-12 months before they start to feel almost 100%.

Keep active, eat healthy, do things to mentally relax and reduce stress.

Try and look at the bright side, hockey is a few weeks away !
Must clarify your final point as it's a 14 day difference. Hockey is one week away.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #542
RichieRich
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Whole family having a tough go of things. Seems several of us are on the verge, one being our child. Throw in some significant medical issues, elder parent with dementia, job loss and lengthy unemployment, online schooling, lack of socialization, social media, some ocd, other unresolved issues, Canadian and USA politics, etc. Sh*t better start the upswing soon cos this is not sustainable.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #543
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hang in there. You're not alone.

I agree. The current way of things is not sustainable. We will need some semblance of normal life well before we're all vaccinated, even if that's off and on, for our physical needs, financial livelihood, social needs and psychological needs. It's getting to be a lot, as a youngish adult living alone that never liked the idea of passing time with Netflix more than once a week. It feels wasteful and devoid of meaning or connection, and I've lost my motivation to do hobbies. Maybe due to over indulgence and a lack of variety. The odd drive out of town hasn't been enough to provide relief for more than a day.

I hope everybody gets the relief they personally need soon.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #544
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Whole family having a tough go of things. Seems several of us are on the verge, one being our child. Throw in some significant medical issues, elder parent with dementia, job loss and lengthy unemployment, online schooling, lack of socialization, social media, some ocd, other unresolved issues, Canadian and USA politics, etc. Sh*t better start the upswing soon cos this is not sustainable.
Ugh. I hear you. I have been blessed to have never go too down too deep in my almost 40 years on this planet. However, the last ~3 months have been very difficulty. Can't seem to shake the feeling of isolation, loneliness, hopelessness, sleeplessness and anxiety.

Last edited by bubbsy; 01-11-2021 at 08:04 AM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #545
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Ugh. I hear you. I have been blessed to have never go too down too deep in my almost 40 years on this planet. However, the last ~3 months have been very difficulty. Can't seem to shake the feeling of isolation, loneliness, hopelessness, sleeplessness and anxiety.
You could use a trip to Hawaii

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #546
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This about sums it up.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #547
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Seriously though, I'm starting to feel optimistic about this spring. January is a bit of an isolationist months anyways (post holidays).

I recently got more into powerlifting, which is helping me get through this. It's a hobby where I can challenge myself to improve every week, so it gives some meaning to time. The other hobby I'm considering right now is learning a new language. If my 40 year old knees give out, I'll go full swing into that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #548
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought I'd be way more excited for the Flames coming back. That perfect distraction for COVID and being stuck inside.

Instead it is the opposite. Who is on the waiver wire today seems totally inconsequential given everything else going on.

I think it'll be a welcome distraction once hockey starts but I feel way less motivated as a fan, not more.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #549
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Seriously though, I'm starting to feel optimistic about this spring. January is a bit of an isolationist months anyways (post holidays).

I recently got more into powerlifting, which is helping me get through this. It's a hobby where I can challenge myself to improve every week, so it gives some meaning to time. The other hobby I'm considering right now is learning a new language. If my 40 year old knees give out, I'll go full swing into that.
You hitting those Sunday classes?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #550
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I thought I'd be way more excited for the Flames coming back. That perfect distraction for COVID and being stuck inside.

Instead it is the opposite. Who is on the waiver wire today seems totally inconsequential given everything else going on.

I think it'll be a welcome distraction once hockey starts but I feel way less motivated as a fan, not more.
I too thought watching sports would be a nice distraction but having a hard time getting into it. I thought the absence of fans would be something you'd get used to after a while but for me, it has sucked a lot of the enjoyment out. Without the energy of the fans, it kind of highlights the absurdity of watching people play a game.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 03:27 PM   #551
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You hitting those Sunday classes?
No. In a pretty good rhythm of 4-5 workouts per week though, including 2 Madlab sessions a week. Pretty fortunate, my local Fitness World refitted the whole gym for social distancing. This means they've installed 3 brand new squat platforms with lots of space.

With the bars closed, I'm not drinking as much and stronger than ever, at age 40. With the bars closed, I'm less social and far more irritable though. My sleep is beginning to fall into weird patterns, which concerns me. Going to bed at 10:00pm sometimes, waking up at 3:00AM sometimes.

Some of the breweries around my area have great outdoor spaces. I may have to start making an effort to hit those and just generally drink more........never thought I'd say that!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #552
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Well, my family gathered for Christmas, and I was pretty pissed but remained civil and was hoping to just forget about it as I’m too exhausted to even think about it anymore.

But now as things get worse and worse in Ontario, I’m more angry. It’s nice that I have a mental list of people who in the future, if I am exhausted and feeling guilty that I’m not coming through for one of them, I can exercise guilt free selfishness.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #553
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

You just need some more pieces of flair.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #554
RichieRich
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Same... I really see how various immediate bubble and secondary bubble people are dealing so differently with this. The most "ok" people seem to stay further away from social media and typically have more positive activities and personal accountability. The less ok people tend to be youth and those that excessively follow and rant about political based subjects. That said we have had to pursue psychological counselling for the family and individual who is suffering most. Toughest times ever for the family. Somehow this CP forum is helping me a bit even if anonymous... thanks folks!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #555
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like my mental health has suffered for sure during the last nine months, and I generally consider myself a strong and fortunate person. I have great family and friends to rely on and I still have a great job. But being single and living alone, the girl I loved suddenly leaving me out of nowhere, getting older in general (late 30s), and a general boredom with the same, mundane work/home routine everyday for months - with no access to gym, classes or restaurants right now either, or ability to see live music or go to events anywhere - is making this a tough time for me.

I realize I don't have much to complain about versus other people in worse scenarios, but my mental health has definitely slipped into levels I haven't been in before. I find I worry about things more and think about things I can't control. I'm hoping good things happen in 2021, I can at least try and be an optimist during all this. I mean, what else can you do?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #556
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

I realize I don't have much to complain about versus other people in worse scenarios,
I was in a similar situation back in the spring. I felt like I was in mourning, but I still had a job, I was able to work from home, no one I knew was sick. So then I felt guilty for feeling bad because others had it so much worse. I remember talking to my cousin and she said, a loss is still a loss. Just because someone else is in a situation that might be worse, doesn't mean that there is something wrong with grieving your losses.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #557
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's been grating on me the past while is this very present "groundhog day" feeling. I often am putting my kids to bed at night and thinking to myself.. didn't I just do this?? Been trying to mix the days up to break the feeling, but it's tough. My wife and I "fought" over who got to go grocery shopping the other day, as we both wanted the change of scenery and outing.

I'm thankful that she and I are both still employed and our immediate and extended family are healthy, but even with the vaccine rollout started, it still feels like there's not a light at the end of the tunnel yet. Tough slog for sure.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:27 AM   #558
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
My wife and I "fought" over who got to go grocery shopping the other day, as we both wanted the change of scenery and outing.
My wife and I were doing this, too. Now we just split it up and both go, just to different stores. She usually does the 'main' groceries, while I head off the other direction and hit up the pet store or any specialty stores/stuff we need. It...actually helped.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #559
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting ready to lose it.
Moved in March 2020
Lease is up March 2021 and have to move again BY CHOICE.

I did not do enough research and moved into a place that had bad Google reviews but the place appeared okay when I did an initial walk through at night while the upper tenants were away.
Wow...what a mistake.
The nightmare of stomping heavy walking Neanderthals above me at ALL hours of the day, the horrible smell of cooking from above and then blood curdling shouting matches between 4 different people has been unbelievable.
Then they moved ....new tenant with a huge dog moved in and she is worse.

A 90 pound woman who makes the floor sound like there's a herd of elephants as she storms around up there....there has to be mental issues involved because people don't speed walk around in there houses like this ....its insane. Its like watching a squirrel run across a street.....running...suddenstop....running ....stop....wow.

One night recently she and her boyfriend got into a fist fight , knocked down drag out brawl. I could hear her yelling come on get up ...is thst the best you got?!?!?

I've yelled up several times when this occurs between midnight and 4 in the am ....absolutely nucking futs.

I've surprised my self by only responding angrily on occasion and just observing the rest of the time and documenting each incident .

I hate where I live ....avoid coming home but I have 2 cats I adore and they are terrified by the noise and have become skittish.

My 14 year old has taken to turning on fans and wearing head phones and or hearing protection to drown out the noise .

I have shared custody and feel awful for him. He's asked how I chose to live like this. Smart kid . He doesn't understand HOW I don't react to it when he's here.....I'm hoping by being calm I'm setting an example.

I told him in life sometimes you have to just shut up and observe...and respond instead of reacting poorly.

I wanted to be a good guy and honor the lease agreement I signed and only have a short time left bu I hate moving and finding a new place is already proving to be a tall task. I can't believe how people have no regard at all for others...period.

Landlords (slumlords) and people who misrepresent, lie and cheat people make me wanna scream.

I deal with this stuff all the time as a full time job....I work in peoples homes as a furnace company owner and the things I see would have made me think I knew better but this is where I ended up.

Praying I find something where I don't have to listen to anyone ever again in situations like the above. Need a place where even my cats don't feel threatened and bombarded by constant noise.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #560
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I feel like my mental health has suffered for sure during the last nine months, and I generally consider myself a strong and fortunate person. I have great family and friends to rely on and I still have a great job. But being single and living alone, the girl I loved suddenly leaving me out of nowhere, getting older in general (late 30s), and a general boredom with the same, mundane work/home routine everyday for months - with no access to gym, classes or restaurants right now either, or ability to see live music or go to events anywhere - is making this a tough time for me.

I realize I don't have much to complain about versus other people in worse scenarios, but my mental health has definitely slipped into levels I haven't been in before. I find I worry about things more and think about things I can't control. I'm hoping good things happen in 2021, I can at least try and be an optimist during all this. I mean, what else can you do?
In 10 months we'll be watching Cavalry lift the microwave plate while drinking $14 beers at Spruce Meadows. I can feel it!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: