Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #1181
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought Solo was great. And I really hope the Lando series/movie? will continue to explore that era and those characters.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #1182
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just finished season 1 & 2 and this show is way better than anything else from the latest generation of star wars stuff. I hated TFA, and I turned off R1 half way through because it was so dull. I would have watched Lord and Miller's Solo, because I love those guys, but then KK interfered and got her stink all over it.

Then Favreau's creative team comes in with the Mandolorian and blows all that #### out of the water
It's amazing what can be accomplished by a team that: A. likes star wars B. likes star wars fans and C. wants to meaningfully contribute to the legacy of the brand. I always got the impression KK had nothing but contempt for the brand and thinks the fans would gobble down any garbage with the star wars brand on it.

Season 1 starts and the look and feel of the series is perfect right away. The characters, puppets and animatronics all scream Star Wars. The action is all inspired and engaging. I thought I was going to hate grogoo, but I liked him a lot. The season is plagued by bad writing, a side effect of trying to cram so much action in, moments of bad writing are usually pretty easy to forgive in this show, but it got overwhelming in the season finale and I found it really distracting and a disappointing way to end to an otherwise fantastic season. There was also too many "remember star wars?" moments like: whomp rat references and everything having to happen on tatooine.

Favreau was also really leaning on his references this season, so much so that we made a game of trying to figure what he was referencing and trying to come up with a cute name for the episode: Game of Fetts, Boba Wick, Boba: Warrior Princess, Boba Heat, etc. The best episode was the one with Bill Burr (Boba Heat), amazing that Bill has found his way on to 3 iconic shows (Chappelle Show and Breaking Bad).

Favreau must have known what I was going to think about the first season, because the second season went a long ways in addressing my concerns. The show has it's own unique feel now and did a great job building off what worked during the first season. The writing tightened up a lot and there were only a few points where bad writing annoyed me: just put on your ####ing helmet, Bill! Boba Fett fighting with a staff and the battle droids having a nap in space during the finale.

The finale to season 2 was a jaw dropper and a worthy way to get Luke onto the show., neatly tying together the grogoo story arc and setting up what I assume is the "King of Mandalor" story arc. I haven't liked Darth Fring much, his character makes no sense: he had his apprentice fight a jedi to a standstill and he dresses like Vader but he doesn't seem force sensitive at all, but he really worked in this episode and I hope they figure out his character a lot better.

Final note: Arrested Development has completely ruined Carl Weathers for, he was fine, but I cant look at him without thinking "you got yourself a stew, baby"
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #1183
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.The Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Rogue One
8. Solo
9. The Force Awakens
10. The Rise of Skywalker
11. The Last Jedi

I’ve watched Rogue One probably 10 times and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it’s so loved. The last scene with Vader was awesome and the battle on Scarif was great but I found the movie to be boring and kind of lifeless leading up to the battle. Definitely isn’t a bad film but I really don’t understand how anyone could rank it among the original trilogy. That said, I have it below the prequels and I’m sure that makes no sense to others.

The only movies I think are truly awful are The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker. I loved The Force Awakens when it was released, but their follow up movies were so bad that it ruined that one too. I can’t say I hate it though.

Solo was decent but I have some personal issues getting over the fact that someone else played Han Solo. Took me out of the movie and it felt like I was watching a fan-film on YouTube. That and the weird Lando/droid love stuff.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #1184
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think my biggest fascination with Rogue One was more or less the concept, how the concept was surgically placed in the timeline and appeared seamless with the era while paying homage to the originals. I think that does possibly blind me a bit from the movie itself, but then the decision to kill off the cast was not a twist I saw coming to be honest, it was not very Disney. In fact the director originally did not think they would let him do it. Then Vader shows up at the end and it was literally like the cherry on top of the sundae. I was very, very satisfied.

I thought the battle on Scarif was amazing as well, it was definitely in the top of Star Wars battles.

I only wish The Last Jedi wasn't such a hot mess, because that led to the poor turn out for Solo, which got a bad wrap as I just commented above, which led to the cancellation of the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies. Now we're getting those on the small screen, which given Mandalorian's record so far that might actually be better, however the concept for Boba Fett sounded amazing. Similar to Rogue One, taking a snipet from the OT, pulling it out, expanding on it and then plugging it back into the existing timeline. It was supposed to follow Boba Fett post "no disintegrations" meeting with Vader in Empire Strikes Back and explore the relationship between all the bounty hunters double triple crossing each other trying to be the one who finds Solo first.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with how it turned out, Boba was great in Mandalorian and technically they could still do this movie down the road and not disrupt anything planned for Boba in the future..

OH LAWD I JUST REALIZED THIS WAS THE MANDALORIAN THREAD. PLEASE THREAD GODS DO NOT SMITE ME!!!! I tied this into Mandalorian you see, you see??? Should we create a new thread to discuss how much people hate it when threads get derailed so they can take their comments about thread derailment there and stop clogging up our existing threads?
Old 01-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #1185
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's ridiculous but it works.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #1186
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I kept expecting I'd chuckle then shut this off, but I watched the whole thing. So well done.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #1187
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does he block all that laser fire? Those robots are firing at him simultaneously and his lightsaber doesn’t really move faster than what a normal human would do.

I’m nitpicking but it struck me when I saw this a second time. Probably better not to think about it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #1188
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How does he block all that laser fire? Those robots are firing at him simultaneously and his lightsaber doesn’t really move faster than what a normal human would do.

I’m nitpicking but it struck me when I saw this a second time. Probably better not to think about it.
I think the idea with Jedi has always been using a combination of blocking only what is necessary, dodging only what is necessary and moving with precision.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #1189
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They really cheaped out on the guns for those dark troopers. Even the mass produced Geonosis arena droids had rapid fire blasters built right in. And even high end Jedis had to run the hell away when standard issue droidekas showed up pimping shields. Seems like the only thing the dark troopers are good at is flying, punching, and taking forever to charge up.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #1190
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I think the idea with Jedi has always been using a combination of blocking only what is necessary, dodging only what is necessary and moving with precision.

Pretty much. Remember Vader takes a Solo shot and just absorbs it too. One of those "as long as they're ready for it you're ####ed" sort of dealies.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #1191
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Star Wars at it's best is also a world that show the backsliding of technology.

Except for the glaring exceptions of Star Killer base and BB8, the next generation of tech is always worst then the prior generation.

It's kind of a neat thing about that world that differentiates it from the real world, that I'm not sure even most of the creators of Star Wars content seem to understand.

So it could just be harder for a diminished Empire to arm these robots as well as the federation did before.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #1192
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's always been an actual argument that the Star Wars universe is kind of at the apex of technological development and is now declining.

I mean the history of sentient races in Star Wars spans 25 million years, with hyperspace happening 25,000 years before the events of ANH. From there you're seeing more improvements then innovations and new sciences.

I mean Star Killer is really the death star concept x 1000. BB8 isn't really all that new and could be argued that he's primitive compared to flying droids.

The next generation isn't better as much as its more powerful faster. Their shields might have more power, lasers and weapons be more powerful, ships a bit faster. Its now about power equations more then new power, faster computers more then new computers.

In fact to me the only thing thats changing with the new tech is esthetics and you can see a sharp decline on that from the end of the PT to the end of the ST.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #1193
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 02-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #1194
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lost it at:
The galaxy's most dangerous never nude.

EDIT: Did not know that Gina Carano was a crazy person in real life. That is sad to hear.

Last edited by Mull; 02-02-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #1195
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bump reminded me of this story

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...wars-1.5896995

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #1196
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished binge watching S2. Now that is what I have been waiting for all these years. I feel redeemed after watching this past season. The finale was one of the most perfect episodes to any series finale and one of the best ending scenes in any Star Wars feature ever. R2 was the icing on the cake.

Please more of that!

Just saw a note on the internet to watch past the credits . Looks like there will be more of that!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #1197
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #1198
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cara Dune? More like Cara Done.

Lucasfilm has officially cut ties with Gina Carano over repeated, offensive social media posts she has made.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/man...no-1234905589/

Quote:
“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” a Lucasfilm spokesperson said in a statement. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

Carano shared several offensive posts on her Instagram stories Tuesday night, including one that compared likened contemporary political differences to the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #1199
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man that is a huge loss for her, she had a really good thing going there. Especially if she was supposed to be in that spinoff show.

I can do without her character again, I didn't dislike her, but I felt she played her part well. However she isn't integral to the story in anyway. Easy off screen death if that.

When will people learn... lol
Old 02-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #1200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

She probably cost herself a great deal of money. She had a decent start to her acting career, was in several high profile movies, then did a real solid role here. Now she's probably done.