Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum
Ivrnet

Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #21
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm most looking forward to my young daughter being able to have play dates.
single child, and home schooled. she's been so lonely. the occasional facetime playdate really isn't much.

hoping we've learned and it will stick, is that we've all been filthy pigs and hand washing/sanitizing is the way to go.
I can't believe the things we all touched and carried on with life without a second thought. oh yeah, let's use the bank machine and then lick the cheezie dust off our hands.

It's amazing talking to friends and coworkers at how almost nobody has gotten colds this year, myself included.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #22
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Most looking forward to doing activities with my daughter that we currently can't.

What I've learned is to no worry about trivial things. This year has taught us what really matters. I was carrying around a bunch of stuff that was weighing me down as a person. I've decided to put that sh** down. I'm tired of carrying it.

I keep this passage from a Stephen King novel in mind:

"“So do we pass the ghosts that haunt us later in our lives; they sit undramatically by the roadside like poor beggars, and we see them only from the corners of our eyes, if we see them at all. The idea that they have been waiting there for us rarely if ever crosses our minds. Yet they do wait, and when we have passed, they gather up their bundles of memory and fall in behind, treading in our footsteps and catching up, little by little.”

Eff you - you little beggars - I'm leaving you behind.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #23
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait - does that mean a mass unbanning is coming? Like when they turn off the containment unit in Ghostbusters? MMF is slimer?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Wait - does that mean a mass unbanning is coming? Like when they turn off the containment unit in Ghostbusters? MMF is slimer?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #25
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a former financial planner who has seen the pathetic money habits of the vast majority of people; about half are a missed paycheque away from ruin or near ruin. If we achieve anything I think getting people to manage their money well would be a huge win.

I’m not hopeful.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:30 AM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 12-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah honestly, everything was going fine until dickless started banning everyone.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Work from home for white-collar workers is the big one. For years we have pointlessly driven our cars or taken transit to go sit in an office for nine hours. Execs were always afraid to risk having people work from home, but now that they were forced to for a year, they can see that it works.

Obviously, there are things that must be done in the office. As some have said above, hopefully companies will be strive to more compassionate and flexible with core hours, sick days, and 3-4 day workweeks to accommodate for other aspects of life.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #29
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Work from home for white-collar workers is the big one. For years we have pointlessly driven our cars or taken transit to go sit in an office for nine hours. Execs were always afraid to risk having people work from home, but now that they were forced to for a year, they can see that it works.

Obviously, there are things that must be done in the office. As some have said above, hopefully companies will be strive to more compassionate and flexible with core hours, sick days, and 3-4 day workweeks to accommodate for other aspects of life.
I'm not convinced this one will stick long term. Perhaps in some industries (tech being the most likely) but there are some where it just works better in person. Oil and Gas being one of those in opinion, I think there will be a large return to the office once the pandemic ends.

I do hope you are right about WFH when sick, there is a benefit to employers in that they do not lose a day's productivity - that person can probably still function somewhat. I don't know how receptive all management will be to large scale WFH. At my employer they never miss an opportunity to let us know there is little trust in WFH, if we are not at the office then they cannot monitor us. Which is unfortunate.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

For me, the things I can't wait to do without a second thought to risk:

Attending live concerts
Dining at restaurants
Playing shinny
Going to the gym
Traveling - road trips
Seeing my friends - meeting for games
Seeing my volunteer friends

Things I hope change in general:

Social Media be policed for disinformation
People continue to use safe health practices
People develop flexibility to work with each other remotely

Things I've learned that will stay with me:

Some people are very selfish
Some people are very unselfish
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #31
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

I agree with you on the 3-4 day work week and being flexible.

However, I really dislike WFH and believe there are many benefits associated with going to an office. Sure, you can allow WFH maybe once a week or so to appease everyone... but I think you lose all aspects of a team environment if everyone is always working from home.

I have been working from home for several months now. I have meetings with coworkers but no opportunity to actually build rapport and learn more about how things are going in their personal lives. I miss going for lunch with colleagues and grabbing coffee with clients.

For me, I feel confined while WFH. I feel like a tiny cog in a machine who is getting work done to make my boss happy and improve the bottom line. Its isolating and takes away from good culture.

Maybe I am in the minority here and love my office job... and think work should be a positive aspect of our lives. WFH gives me the feeling of "I am collecting a pay cheque and that is all this job means to me. Can't wait to finish so I can go do other things"... I don't think that is healthy especially considering we spend the majority of our working hours doing our paid job.

So for me, I can't wait to go back into the office.

Last edited by keenan87; 12-21-2020 at 11:23 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #32
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm not convinced this one will stick long term. Perhaps in some industries (tech being the most likely) but there are some where it just works better in person. Oil and Gas being one of those in opinion, I think there will be a large return to the office once the pandemic ends.
Tech definitely can do it long term. No need for those of us who work in tech jobs to be forced to travel to the office when it's been set up for years to work from anywhere at the click of a button.

Having worked in an O&G exploration environment in my previous role, I agree those kind of people are going to want to return to the office. I transitioned to a tech job before the pandemic and looking back I can imagine how hard it would be to work in my previous role 100% remotely. Some days were fine to WFH but many times not. My former colleagues I've spoken with agree and some are finding it difficult to keep up the same quality of work as before. Some things you need to be sitting in a group around a board table pointing at charts/maps/whatever else.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like a blend of 2 days in the office and 3 at home. I think that in person office work has diminishing returns beyond it. You get the meetings and interaction time in the two in person days and save the commute and avoid distractions the other days

To make this palatable to business I’d be willing to give up an office in exchange for a smaller cubicle to reduce space.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #34
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was skeptical of WFH, but I think we (I work in O&G) have been remarkably productive. I think the 2 days in/ 3 days WFH that GGG describes is perfect. Smaller office footprint, perhaps sharing of parking and in-person meetings can occur if needed. I for one would love to have access to a high speed printer/scanner, but most of my work can be done very easily from home. Just the relief of being able to pick up the kid from school is immensely helpful, and I can still get the work done.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #35
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I was skeptical of WFH, but I think we (I work in O&G) have been remarkably productive. I think the 2 days in/ 3 days WFH that GGG describes is perfect. Smaller office footprint, perhaps sharing of parking and in-person meetings can occur if needed. I for one would love to have access to a high speed printer/scanner, but most of my work can be done very easily from home. Just the relief of being able to pick up the kid from school is immensely helpful, and I can still get the work done.
Curious as to what position/sector (generally) you have in O&G. My experience has been the opposite. I'm on the service side and while I am fully able to WFH for most items I have trouble seeing it being effective long term. Without in person meetings with clients it is difficult for us to convey ideas and be effective. Part time at the office is completely unworkable for us as clients demand our availability whatever day they happen to be working. Scheduling meetings involving multiple groups of multiple people when they are all working different days would be a nightmare.

Had a client call us last week (myself and sales). They are in the same building as we are. Told us to be down to his office in 30 minutes for a meeting. He was not impressed when told I was WFH and not available to meet.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote