Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #8101
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Treliving is left to walk you probably see Maloney as the new GM. Yuck.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #8102
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guy seems like a guy who would book his own Super 8 rooms to keep some per diem in his jeans and I am NOT saying that's a bad thing.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #8103
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe Treliving moves in to a President of Hockey Ops role and Conroy becomes GM. I think he interviewed this last summer for some or at least was in the conversation.

Not sure if that is what Treliving would be looking for obviously but none of us really know anyway.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:06 AM   #8104
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
If Treliving is left to walk you probably see Maloney as the new GM. Yuck.
My guess Conroy could get the job.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:07 AM   #8105
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lombardi makes the most sense in this scenario, but I don't buy it. Flames and Tre have taken their negotiations to the wire before. He'll get his deal.

No doubt there is conflict between the two. I don't doubt it for a second, but they both have to realize that it's been a pretty productive relationship so far that they're both benefiting from.

Also re: player usage... The likely source of their conflict. The flames prospects that are ready are forwards. This team hasn't had a significant forward injury in 2 years. That won't last. I know they have had plenty of opportunity to get the players NHL reps without injury, but they likely need to have their hand forced.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #8106
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
We know that autonomy is important to Tree, so if he's getting either too much involvement from the owners or too much from the coach, I can see him wanting to move on.
And if he does, I think he will have ample opportunity.
Would be a blow for sure.
It seems nobody on the outside really knows the dynamic between Sutter and Treliving. Hopefully Treliving still has the final call but if Darryl is allowed more input than a typical head coach then I can see Treliving wanting to take a look at available options elswhere. Just the thought of Darryl Sutter running the Flames again is absolutely terrifying.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #8107
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
We know that autonomy is important to Tree, so if he's getting either too much involvement from the owners or too much from the coach, I can see him wanting to move on.
And if he does, I think he will have ample opportunity.
Would be a blow for sure.
Yeah, I think so as well. Treliving will find a new landing spot almost immediately.

…I’d be incredibly bummed to watch this organization just backslide into a Sutter sphere of influence. The perfect succession plan is already in place too. Sutter as Head Coach with roster approval to whatever degree, and Conroy as a first time GM.

It’s our version of the Oilers Old Boys Club, except their Old Boys Club actually won Cups in Edmonton.

I hope we see Treliving extended…as I’m afraid of what comes after him.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #8108
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I view that this team is in a heavy win now mode for the next 3 years, that times with Sutter's remaining term as Head Coach.
After that I think all bets are off, but I suspect they are going to be dragged into a re-build based on the lack of young players and aging roster.

I would like to see BT at the helm for all of that, but if he leaves then indeed I see Sutter having a heavy hand in things for 3 years, and then after that, probably a new management team.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #8109
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Leafs are rolling. If they make the ECF, no way they move on from Dubas. Even if they do, Shanahan isn't going anywhere. Treliving is not walking into a scenario in which he doesn't have full autonomy.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #8110
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Changing course a little, the mouth breathers up north are discussing the Lafreniere scratch and how the Oilers should target him. Lots of discussion that Puljujarvi and mid round pick gets it done. God they are stupid……
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #8111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
The Leafs are rolling. If they make the ECF, no way they move on from Dubas. Even if they do, Shanahan isn't going anywhere. Treliving is not walking into a scenario in which he doesn't have full autonomy.
That's a pretty massive IF considering their playoff history
Old 12-30-2022, 12:08 PM   #8112
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
That's a pretty massive IF considering their playoff history

Sure, but the second "if" is pretty much a lock: even if Dubas goes, Shanahan and his final say over hockey ops will remain. Based on everything Treliving's said and we've heard from local media, he isn't going anywhere near a situation without full autonomy.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #8113
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
but I don’t think he wants it.
I would agree, why would he want the post when he was so awful at it the first time...
Old 12-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #8114
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Changing course a little, the mouth breathers up north are discussing the Lafreniere scratch and how the Oilers should target him. Lots of discussion that Puljujarvi and mid round pick gets it done. God they are stupid……
Lol, Oiler fans still think he's a premier blue chipper for some reason. Guy has 2 goals and 8 points despite playing on the wing with McDavid.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #8115
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
My guess Conroy could get the job.
Can the nicest guy in the world really be in control of tough decisions?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #8116
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure I take Conroy suggestions seriously. He is like a golden retriever. There has never been a rumor or report he has interviewed for a GM job, even though people have speculated that he would, they just assume so because he is personable and outgoing I think.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #8117
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I'm not sure I take Conroy suggestions seriously. He is like a golden retriever. There has never been a rumor or report he has interviewed for a GM job, even though people have speculated that he would, they just assume so because he is personable and outgoing I think.
Not true. He was reported to have interviewed for the Sabres position in 2017.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #8118
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Lol, Oiler fans still think he's a premier blue chipper for some reason. Guy has 2 goals and 8 points despite playing on the wing with McDavid.
Read a speculative piece about Pulijarvi for Acciari from the Blues would help both teams. That's probably true, and close to correct value.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #8119
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
nm. Sureloss covered it.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #8120
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Read a speculative piece about Pulijarvi for Acciari from the Blues would help both teams. That's probably true, and close to correct value.
This is closer but Edmonton would still have to do a significant add. Acciari is defensively responsible and can still put up a few points (13 pts and not playing with McDrai). JP is a stone hands and a strong candidate for the green jacket if he keeps up his play. Acciari is also getting paid $1.25MM compared to JP’s $3MM and they are both basically UFAs (JP’s $3MM qualifying offer is going to walk him to UFA unless he accepts less). What would possibly be the incentive for St. Louis to do this deal unless the Oilers sweeten it with a 2023 2nd or something else of value.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote