Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:
Post Ongoing NHL Teams Covid-19 protocols thread.

To discuss news around teams' requirements & restrictions around attendance.

If you want to talk about anything else pandemic related, there's a Covid subforum. Keep this one on-topic.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Its kind of the same topic though, people can't explain why they may not be in favor of vaccine passports without talking about covid and their reasoning for not or for wanting the passports.

Either way there's no need to fly off the handle because there's someone opposed or in disagreement etc.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Edmonton and TO to allow vaccinated or negative test. Others only fully vaccinated. Not sure about Ottawa or Montreal.

Quote:
Oilers Entertainment Group says proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test will be required for fans 12 and over at Edmonton Oilers games this season.
Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs will also require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test for entry this season.

The Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets, meanwhile, will only admit fully vaccinated fans.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...rting-sept-28/

I know it isn’t strictly nhl related but since it came up in the last thread:

Quote:
The Edmonton Elks and Saskatchewan Roughriders are moving towards creating a policy that would allow only fully-vaccinated fans to attend games for the rest of the season, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji.

Hearing that the #Elks preference is to move towards a policy for fans to be fully vaccinated for all fans attending home games going forward. However all of the necessary discussions with various stakeholders have yet to take place to make that happen.

Same situation with #Riders. Things appear headed in this direction. A lot of stakeholder discussions now taking place. As numbers evolve, all teams are having to adjust. Doesn’t sound like it will be long before all 9 @cfl teams will have full vax policies for fans.

Similar policies have been announced in B.C., Calgary, Hamilton, and Ottawa over the past few days, leaving Edmonton and Saskatchewan as the only remaining CFL teams that permit unvaccinated fans to attending games.
https://3downnation.com/2021/08/25/e...r-fans-report/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this is part #2

Protocols seem simple, over 12 yrs old to enter an Arena you must be fully vaccinated or in some places a 48 hour test
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are players going to be required to vaccinate?

After seeing crazy comments from former players like Prust and Penner I'm curious to see if any current players decide not to get it
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post

After seeing crazy comments from former players like Prust and Penner I'm curious to see if any current players decide not to get it
Unclear but will require alignment between the league and NHLPA

https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...2021-22-season
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Herald article about CSEC’s decision to require vaccinations: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...vaccine-policy

Quote:
Calgary sports fans have largely welcomed the news — but a kernel of anxiety has erupted for others who fear vaccine mandates will spread.

One angry Calgary business owner said he would not renew his Flames season tickets this year, which cost approximately $24,000 annually. The man — who declined to be identified for fear of blowback to his business — said he’s not anti-vaccination but isn’t convinced of the safety of the COVID-19 vaccines.

But many fans who spoke to Postmedia said a vaccine mandate was essential to getting them through the door again.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand limiting entrance to fans and how they can do that but can someone smarter than me please explain to me how these businesses can legally force their employees to get this vaccine under threat of losing their employment? Do we not have laws to prevent this?

Genuine question. I’m curious as to if they can actually do this from a legal standpoint.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I understand limiting entrance to fans and how they can do that but can someone smarter than me please explain to me how these businesses can legally force their employees to get this vaccine under threat of losing their employment? Do we not have laws to prevent this?

Genuine question. I’m curious as to if they can actually do this from a legal standpoint.
Outside of union environments, employers don’t need a reason to fire employees. It’s just a matter of severance or no severance. Employers can’t discriminate under typical categories, such as race or sex, under the Human Rights Act but this wouldn’t apply.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post

I think the players are going to have to. The Federal mandate of anyone traveling by plane within Canada is required to be vaccinated. This included charter flights. So I don't know how the NHL gets around that.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Here an article by a law talkin’ guy about charter challenges and universities. It gives some good insight as to why it is allowed.

https://fauw.blog/2021/08/11/no-a-va...hts/#more-1713

A few quotes but it’s a short article and worth reading the whole thing.

Quote:
It is true that the broad liberty interests of unvaccinated individuals are affected by limiting where they can go, by instituting employment requirements, and by having their privacy intruded on by being required to disclose their vaccination status. Yet we already place limitations like this in many circumstances. Ontario schoolchildren have, for many years, been required to provide proof of vaccination to attend school. Smokers are not allowed to smoke in indoor public spaces, because we recognize the dangers of second-hand smoke.

In short, one person’s liberty interests end where the rights of others begin. We cannot allow people to invoke rights in the name of behaviour that produces incontrovertible harm to others.
Quote:
We should dismiss simplistic arguments that employment conditions in the valid pursuit of health and safety are unconstitutional (indeed, there are other laws that require employers to take reasonable action to ensure the health and safety of employees and customers).
Quote:
Even then, sometimes accommodations don’t work or aren’t feasible, and health and safety rules ought to take precedence if the risks are high enough and other accommodations constitute an undue hardship for the employer.
Basically, vaccines undeniably work, the circumstances allow for reasonable measures given the public health emergency and the health and safety of the general populace outweigh a persons right to infect and endanger others.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-25-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #12
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Outside of union environments, employers don’t need a reason to fire employees. It’s just a matter of severance or no severance. Employers can’t discriminate under typical categories, such as race or sex, under the Human Rights Act but this wouldn’t apply.
No clue on how this will shake out with vaccines but on an individual basis the labor board is far more powerful than a union now days and they do protect the workers for wrongful dismissal, fire someone without a good reason? if the individual fights be prepared to write a very large check.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #13
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think the players are going to have to. The Federal mandate of anyone traveling by plane within Canada is required to be vaccinated. This included charter flights. So I don't know how the NHL gets around that.
And I don’t understand why they would want to get around a vaccine requirement. The summer break was an ideal time to get all the players vaccinated. Even if starting vaccination now, the risk of an adverse reaction causing a player to miss a game is likely much lower than the risk of infection causing a player to miss games or causing the team to have the schedule disrupted.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #14
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does that include private planes or charters?
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #15
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NHLPA recently told players they might be at risk of having pay withheld this season if they fell ill from COVID-19 and weren’t vaccinated, or if they’re unable to travel because the jurisdiction they are travelling to requires proof of vaccination, such as the case for travellers crossing the border from the U.S. into Canada.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...2021-22-season
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
No clue on how this will shake out with vaccines but on an individual basis the labor board is far more powerful than a union now days and they do protect the workers for wrongful dismissal, fire someone without a good reason? if the individual fights be prepared to write a very large check.
Again, there is no requirement under Alberta law for there to be any reason to fire someone. It’s just that if there is just cause, you don’t have to give reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. All that any lawsuit would do is establish how much notice should be given. That would vary depending on position and term.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
And I don’t understand why they would want to get around a vaccine requirement. The summer break was an ideal time to get all the players vaccinated. Even if starting vaccination now, the risk of an adverse reaction causing a player to miss a game is likely much lower than the risk of infection causing a player to miss games or causing the team to have the schedule disrupted.
Yeah 100%. The NHL isn't even going to entertain the thought of finding any loop hole as they want everyone vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Does that include private planes or charters?

Just what I heard on the radio and they specifically mentioned charters. I don't know about private planes.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #18
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

Many businesses have requirements for safety, etc.

It’s REALLY easy to show that Covid protection is safer for all who work there.

And there’s a thing called WCB. If an employee goes to work, gets sick from COVID, it’s going to be a lot better for the company if they were actively taking measures to prevent COVID spread rather than ignoring it.

Corporate insurance policies, same thing.

I’d be surprised if there are any companies mid sized and up that HAVENT made vaccines mandatory by some point this fall.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #19
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sharks will require proof of vaccination.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430985750728777730
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #20
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought the federal mandate only included commercial flights. The NHL teams travel on private jets and should not be subject to the required vaccination protocol.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote