Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #281
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I have a hard time seeing it myself. The ability to play wherever you want, start your new family wherever you want, go to a better team, a better city, better weather, potentially more money or a better tax situation, etc. I suppose being comfortable could outweigh all of that since who really knows what Johnny values, but it's hard to imagine. With the way the team has been trending, half of the current roster could be gone in the near future anyways so it seems hard to imagine that's what would be drawing him to the Flames long term.
How many big UFA signings actually "picked" their better team and didn't win anything? The only one I can think of that had success doing that was Marian Hossa, and it took him 3 tries to find the right one.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #282
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
How many big UFA signings actually "picked" their better team and didn't win anything? The only one I can think of that had success doing that was Marian Hossa, and it took him 3 tries to find the right one.

This is actually a really good point. It seems to rarely work out.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #283
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

32 teams and one winner, pretty tough to pick right
Old 09-26-2021, 02:44 AM   #284
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
32 teams and one winner, pretty tough to pick right

True, but easy to pick wrong.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #285
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A better team could simply mean making the playoffs. It doesn't mean he needs to pick the cup winner. If he went to Colorado I'd say he left for a better team regardless if they won the cup. And to clarify that's just an example I don't think he's going to Colorado.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #286
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
True, but easy to pick wrong.
Yep, and the Flames are a pretty sure wrong bet if your goal is going to a contender.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 12:24 AM   #287
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's the old grass isn't always greener.....
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #288
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It's the old grass isn't always greener.....
No, but some time it is. It’s not that hard to pick the top teams. I doubt a player would pick a team for a free ride on a Cup. They’d pick their favorite team or contenders that have a chance.

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 09-27-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #289
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have turned into a team that now has to overpay players to keep them. I'm a big Sutter fan but I think many players would want to avoid him. Taxes are higher here. The weather is not good. The lifestyle isn't like it is in the big cities. The arena is terrible for the next few years.

They can't risk losing Gaudreau for nothing or a crappy deadline deal.

They have to sign him and overpay him.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #290
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Friedman: Gaudreau not expected to comment on contract status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
The Flames have turned into a team that now has to overpay players to keep them. I'm a big Sutter fan but I think many players would want to avoid him. Taxes are higher here. The weather is not good. The lifestyle isn't like it is in the big cities. The arena is terrible for the next few years.

They can't risk losing Gaudreau for nothing or a crappy deadline deal.

They have to sign him and overpay him.

This. I see some people suggesting deals for 5 years at $8 million and I think it is highly unlikely to get him for anything like that. First of all, it’s a virtual certainty that the deal will be 8 years if it’s with the flames. They have the ability to give him that 8th year that no one else can give him so if he signs with the flames it will be for the max term.

He will also not give up his NTC so that if things turn bad in Calgary, he can just ask for a trade and get some control over where he goes.

And I truly believe he wants to stay. But he has all the leverage in any negotiation and his motivation to take any kind of team-friendly deal is just not there. I think if Treliving had brought in a huge talent like Eichel, you might have a chance to convince Johnny to come down from market value to get to play with a top center like that for the next 5 years… but without something big like that, I just don’t see him signing for anything less than $8.5 million per year for 8 years. And I would not be the least surprised if took $9.5 million to get it done for Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 09-27-2021 at 11:30 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #291
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So in this last page I have learned posters on CP know he will hit the open market and what the player will sign for and what he won't. Lots of insiders on here.
Isn't that Eric Francis' schtick? ...maybe he has many accounts?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #292
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has treliving commented at all?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #293
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So in this last page I have learned posters on CP know he will hit the open market and what the player will sign for and what he won't. Lots of insiders on here.
In these contract negotiation threads, I wonder how many people have ever negotiated a contract, let alone one worth millions.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #294
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying back up a brinks truck for Johnny, but overspending by a few mil on a bonafide star is a lot less egregious than, let's say, the Gudbranson deal.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #295
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling this is going to be a good bounce back season for Gaudreau. I hope we are able to find a way to lock him in, before his value jumps up.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #296
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I have a feeling this is going to be a good bounce back season for Gaudreau. I hope we are able to find a way to lock him in, before his value jumps up.

I think he will have a great year and he’ll especially shine in the olympics. Johnny always looks even more impressive at best-on-best tournaments. He makes players around him better… even when playing with superstars.

stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #297
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm not saying back up a brinks truck for Johnny, but overspending by a few mil on a bonafide star is a lot less egregious than, let's say, the Gudbranson deal.
Not really.
I don't like the Gudbranson deal but the long-term ramifications of that deal are a waste of 1.9M for a single year.

If you overpay Johnny it could restrict your franchise for 6-8 years if it ends up being a bad deal.

They just aren't similar at all in terms of potential impact.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #298
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not really.
I don't like the Gudbranson deal but the long-term ramifications of that deal are a waste of 1.9M for a single year.

If you overpay Johnny it could restrict your franchise for 6-8 years if it ends up being a bad deal.

They just aren't similar at all in terms of potential impact.

The alternative is he walks for nothing. And now a team with no allure has lost its only entertaining offensive player. I submit there is more importance surrounding Johnny than just his hockey contribution. He puts butts in seats which means money for the club.

If there is no Eichel and no Johnny next year, I think many STHs rethink their commitments, IMO of course.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #299
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The alternative is he walks for nothing. And now a team with no allure has lost its only entertaining offensive player. I submit there is more importance surrounding Johnny than just his hockey contribution. He puts butts in seats which means money for the club.

If there is no Eichel and no Johnny next year, I think many STHs rethink their commitments, IMO of course.
If the alternatives are 8 x $10.25M (for argument's sake - basically, a lot) or he walks away for nothing, I would opt for the latter, given what we know today. Both are terrible outcomes, but if those are my choices...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #300
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I think he will have a great year and he’ll especially shine in the olympics. Johnny always looks even more impressive at best-on-best tournaments. He makes players around him better… even when playing with superstars.

He could have a great year. If he's signed before I'm a happy fan. If he's not then I'm a sad fan because it likely means he's gone.

And I know he'll do well in the Olympics. It isn't tight checking or rough so of course he will shine. I'd way rather he shines in the playoffs as a Flame.

With how many stupid contracts Treliving has given out I'm ok with a little overpay on Johnny, especially since we'll have lots of cap space when Chucky is gone.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote