Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Solar Energy Questions

Looking at getting Solar installed on my house - got 2 quotes, 1 from Virtuoso and another from YYC Solar.

YYC Solar is cheaper & gives more energy production - my question to CPers who know anything about Solar - are there any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Looks like the panels quoted me are the same brand too - I will obviously go for the cheaper one if everything else is cet par, but just curious if there are other questions I should be asking?

Thanks!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has lots of info:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=181700
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That was the thread I was looking for, thanks!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Looking at getting Solar installed on my house - got 2 quotes, 1 from Virtuoso and another from YYC Solar.

YYC Solar is cheaper & gives more energy production - my question to CPers who know anything about Solar - are there any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Looks like the panels quoted me are the same brand too - I will obviously go for the cheaper one if everything else is cet par, but just curious if there are other questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

Solaryyc just installed my system a month ago. 10.1kw

I was very happy. Installed was $2.05/watt before any government grants ($1.56 when that is factored in)

The biggest reason I went with solaryyc was that they used microinverters, vs a lot of others who were using string inverters.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

I was very happy. Installed was $2.05/watt before any government grants ($1.56 when that is factored in)

The biggest reason I went with solaryyc was that they used microinverters, vs a lot of others who were using string inverters.
Are there any government grants for residential solar in Alberta right now? I didn't think so, but would be interested to be proven wrong. I think $1.56/W all in net installed cost might be getting close to being a rational investment
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Are there any government grants for residential solar in Alberta right now? I didn't think so, but would be interested to be proven wrong. I think $1.56/W all in net installed cost might be getting close to being a rational investment
Yes the NRCan Greener Homes Grant is a federal grant program worth $5k

There is also a"up to $40,000, interest free loan" that has been announced and should be available in the next few months

I haven't received the funding yet, it's a slow program, but my install is eligible and there should be non-issue getting approval.

With solar clubs and the energy coops paying a premium in the summer, I am anticipating a payout I 8-9 years.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the NRCan Greener Homes Grant is a federal grant program worth $5k

There is also a"up to $40,000, interest free loan" that has been announced and should be available in the next few months

I haven't received the funding yet, it's a slow program, but my install is eligible and there should be non-issue getting approval.

With solar clubs and the energy coops paying a premium in the summer, I am anticipating a payout I 8-9 years.
Ah. Did you ever actually hear back anything from NRCan? I applied for it a few days late when it first came out for a retrofit (do the last few new windows we need) and still haven't heard anything. I thought you had to wait for the audit to do any work to get the credits? Or is solar exempt from that rule?

The solar club deals seem to good to be true to me. What's the catch I'm missing? Just that the import price in the winter is higher than the market rate?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Ah. Did you ever actually hear back anything from NRCan? I applied for it a few days late when it first came out for a retrofit (do the last few new windows we need) and still haven't heard anything. I thought you had to wait for the audit to do any work to get the credits? Or is solar exempt from that rule?

The solar club deals seem to good to be true to me. What's the catch I'm missing? Just that the import price in the winter is higher than the market rate?
I applied for Greener Homes in June, my registration is approved, but they haven't progressed it past that. I went forward and paid for the pre-retrofit assessment so I am just waiting for the program to catch up - Honestly terribly managed program, I can't believe how long it is taking, but I assume it will be paid eventually

I can't see any catch on the solar club, right now during the export months the price is $0.285/kWh and during the import months the cost is $0.0810/kWh - I think you might be able to get locked in for 3 years at $0.0679 with Atco right now, so you are paying marginally more, in the import months (which for me I am estimating to be November - March)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wow, that seems like a great price, $16K for 10kW. I just got a quote back from KCP for ~$2.75/W ($1.95/W w/ $5K grant). Also sent a note over to Skyfire and SolarYYC.

Was looking at a ~9kW system with microinverters + Energy Hub for future EV/BESS.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Wow, that seems like a great price, $16K for 10kW. I just got a quote back from KCP for ~$2.75/W ($1.95/W w/ $5K grant). Also sent a note over to Skyfire and SolarYYC.

Was looking at a ~9kW system with microinverters + Energy Hub for future EV/BESS.
I got quotes from SolarYYC, Skyfire and Virtuosso

SolarYYC was the best price (obviously) I don't know how dependent the cost will be on your setup. I have a bungalow and 19 of my 27 panels are on a fully unobstructed southfacing slope, the other 8 panels face roughly east.

Not sure if cost would increase if you had a 2 story or other impediment to install. YMMV

Let me know if anyone wants a referral to SolarYYC and I will split the $400 referral fee with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post: