Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #2061
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
It's funny how apathetic Flames faithful seem to be with this upcoming jersey. Normally this is a huge announcement, and I was expecting this thread to explode. I think we're all expecting a jersey we've seen before... and have been voting with our dollars we want, or the result will be underwhelming again.
The reason for my apathy is that when the new Adidas jerseys were announced, it felt like the perfect time to give the fans what they wanted -- a full time return to retro-style jerseys for both home and away. Instead, what we got was a slightly modified version of the same thing.

Then, we find out that the new third is going to be the retro again. We've done this before. Retro is third, then discontinued. Then retro is third, then discontinued.

It just seems like a rehash of the same road we've been down. I want something new. I don't want the retros to be the thirds. I want the retros to be the full time jerseys, and then something new and interesting for the thirds. In my perfect world, it'd be something based upon the shoulder logo from our wordmark jerseys. But not the wordmark jerseys themselves. I was most definitely not a fan of those.

And ditch the black.

Last edited by DionTheDman; 06-26-2018 at 11:41 AM.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #2062
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would say if anything the waist stripes on both are maybe just a little too big. I also don't necessarily like the prevalence of yellow on the second concept. But they're great!
They are definitely HUGE. That was a little on purpose, but I might have gone too far . Love that C&C though, I've made them all a bit smaller going forward. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Freaking beautiful.

I'd love to see a combo of the two.

Take the bottom striping of the top set and the arm striping of the 2nd set.
This was an idea worth exploring. A little smaller stripes as Scorpion pointed out, but here's the throwback striping on the new design:

And the balance from the throwback white updated to this here:

The throwback red striping looks odd to me on this, but the other looks like an upgrade to me. Good call!

Edit:
Sometimes, the smallest change makes the biggest difference. A touch more red to the arms, and we introduce the same contrast the throwback striping has. Much better:

Last edited by Split98; 06-26-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #2063
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
The reason for my apathy is that when the new Adidas jerseys were announced, it felt like the perfect time to give the fans what they wanted -- a full time return to retro-style jerseys for both home and away. Instead, what we got was a slightly modified version of the same thing.

Then, we find out that the new third is going to be the retro again. We've been down this road before. Retro is third, then discontinued. Then retro is third, then discontinued.

It just seems like a rehash of the same road we've been down. I want something new. I don't want the retros to be the thirds. I want the retros to be the full time jerseys, and then something new and interesting for the thirds. In my perfect world, it'd be something based upon the shoulder logo from our wordmark jerseys. But not the wordmark jerseys themselves. I was most definitely not a fan of those.

And ditch the black.
Couldn't agree more.

I remember doing backflips and even pre-ordering before the reveal when the new Reebok Edge jerseys were coming out. I was on pins and needles waiting for the Flames to announce beautiful jerseys last year and... nope.

Just feels like we're going to be disappointed one way or another. I'll be happy to finally get a Tkachuk throwback, but until they change the primaries this feels like a brief moment where they appease the fans before we see more of their vision of the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #2064
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hard time getting excited anymore. Since the '04-era set, the Flames really haven't done anything to inspire confidence in this area.

I'll give them a half-point for the retros. The modern organization didn't even design it, but they at least had the good sense to know that it would be popular with the fans.

Besides that, what have they done since? Flags, scripty wordmark, the Heritage Classic faux historical look, and a league-mandated redesign that saw just a slight tweak to an already tired design.

Surprise me, Flames, but I'm not holding my breath.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #2065
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have a hard time getting excited anymore. Since the '04-era set, the Flames really haven't done anything to inspire confidence in this area.

I'll give them a half-point for the retros. The modern organization didn't even design it, but they at least had the good sense to know that it would be popular with the fans.

Besides that, what have they done since? Flags, scripty wordmark, the Heritage Classic faux historical look, and a league-mandated redesign that saw just a slight tweak to an already tired design.

Surprise me, Flames, but I'm not holding my breath.
These aren't cheap items either. That's a pretty good summary of the effort the Flames have put into something they'd like $200+ for.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #2066
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's nothing to be excited about. It's going to be the same jersey we've seen before, which isn't bad since the retro should be the main. I would be excited though if they made the away the retro whites also. But that's not gonna happen this year.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #2067
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
There's nothing to be excited about. It's going to be the same jersey we've seen before, which isn't bad since the retro should be the main. I would be excited though if they made the away the retro whites also. But that's not gonna happen this year.
I would love for the Flames to surprise all of us and release THAT as the 3rd this year. I believe they can, it would just force the road team to bring their dark jersey.

That'd give me such a warm and fuzzy feeling of love from the team I buy too much stuff from...
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #2068
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s amazing how tone deaf this organization is. They hear about people wanting the retros every year and we still don’t have them. It’s pathetic. Listen to your customers for once in your lives.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #2069
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I would love for the Flames to surprise all of us and release THAT as the 3rd this year. I believe they can, it would just force the road team to bring their dark jersey.

That'd give me such a warm and fuzzy feeling of love from the team I buy too much stuff from...
Did you see the posts where we had pretty decent confirmation that we're going to back to the retro for the third next season? That may be why you're the only one getting excited about possibilities.

I can't remember where they are now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #2070
jayswin

Exp:

nm

Last edited by jayswin; 06-26-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #2071
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did you see the posts where we had pretty decent confirmation that we're going to back to the retro for the third next season? That may be why you're the only one getting excited about possibilities.

I can't remember where they are now.
But WHICH retro 3rds?

I missed the post, but thought it was unofficially agreed that we would be seeing the retros return. So it's official they'll be exactly what we've seen before?

Nevertheless, the time is now to make decisions on the 2020-2021 season
Old 06-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #2072
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
But WHICH retro 3rds?

I missed the post, but thought it was unofficially agreed that we would be seeing the retros return. So it's official they'll be exactly what we've seen before?

Nevertheless, the time is now to make decisions on the 2020-2021 season
I believe it was semi confirmed it would be the same red retro we've used at various times in the past 10 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #2073
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Flyers (Stadium series from a couple years back), Coyotes (original home jersey from 96) and Carolina (remake of the hurricane flag warning jersey) all released thirds this weekend, and they are all black.
All 3 of those teams featured black in their original colour scheme. That's the difference. #NoMoreBlack
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #2074
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I believe it was semi confirmed it would be the same red retro we've used at various times in the past 10 years.
They’ll find a way to add black to it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #2075
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

To be honest the black actually looks good and they should keep it that way, but that's just me because I've grown up watching the flames wear the black C. The only thing they should do is change the jersey style. I hate the stripes on the sides and the font is disgusting. I wouldn't mind if they went back to the retros but I prefer the black.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #2076
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Off topic ... but not worth a new thread ...

Today was 'jersey day' as my sons' school.

I dropped them off and went into the classroom.

There was a little girl wearing a half Oilers / half Canucks abomination.

Anger. Tears. Questions. You name it. But I was clearly concerned for my own child's mental health.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #2077
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Off topic ... but not worth a new thread ...

Today was 'jersey day' as my sons' school.

I dropped them off and went into the classroom.

There was a little girl wearing a half Oilers / half Canucks abomination.

Anger. Tears. Questions. You name it. But I was clearly concerned for my own child's mental health.
Did you call child services?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #2078
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It’s amazing how tone deaf this organization is. They hear about people wanting the retros every year and we still don’t have them. It’s pathetic. Listen to your customers for once in your lives.
I feel like 90% of the Dome is wearing a jersey with a black C. I understand this board is pro-retro, but I feel like jersey sales are what speaks to the organization. A pretty good barometer, if you ask me.

I think the retro has its place, and that's as the third jersey.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kolbe31 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #2079
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

90% of the dome is wearing a primary home jersey for the Flames of the past 15 years? That's not unusual. If they had been wearing a white crest of sorts, that's what 90% of the dome would look like as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
but I feel like jersey sales are what speaks to the organization.
This is true, and probably a good reason why they would be considering something new (or old...). As, like you said, 90% of the dome already have a jersey of similar type to what they are wearing on the ice. If they change what they wear, that's a new batch of jersey sales they will receive.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #2080
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
90% of the dome is wearing a primary home jersey for the Flames of the past 15 years? That's not unusual. If they had been wearing a white crest of sorts, that's what 90% of the dome would look like as well.

This is true, and probably a good reason why they would be considering something new (or old...). As, like you said, 90% of the dome already have a jersey of similar type to what they are wearing on the ice. If they change what they wear, that's a new batch of jersey sales they will receive.
I just feel like the general public had an opportunity to tell the organization they loved the retros by purchasing them. They were the third jersey for years, and 1989 retros have been available for several years as well. I don't think the pro-retro voices were that loud to warrant a full re-brand.

I think there's an abundance of primary home jerseys because people like them. The black C is a strong logo.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote