Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 10:56 AM   #8641
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
For local film fans - 2001: A Space Odyssey is playing at the Plaza! This MUST be seen on a big screen a least once. I'm taking my wife and offspring and hoping they'll be both amazed and massively confused.
This is good Dadding.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #8642
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I honestly don't see the point in any 4K remasters. New movies shot in 4K are fantastic and there's a clear difference between them and 1080p versions, but I have yet to see any older movie with a 4K remaster that actually made a difference. I downloaded a 4K remux of Back to The Future and did a comparison to the 1080p version I already had, couldn't tell them apart. It just seems pointless when most 4K TV's already do a great job of upscaling 1080p content
Was your 1080 copy physical or digital?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #8643
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I honestly don't see the point in any 4K remasters. New movies shot in 4K are fantastic and there's a clear difference between them and 1080p versions, but I have yet to see any older movie with a 4K remaster that actually made a difference. I downloaded a 4K remux of Back to The Future and did a comparison to the 1080p version I already had, couldn't tell them apart. It just seems pointless when most 4K TV's already do a great job of upscaling 1080p content
There's a significant resolution difference between actual film and 1080p. Actual film crushes 1080p. Film doesn't have HDR or color grading, which new movies shot in 4K likely have. This may be what you're liking more.

For my tastes, 1080p for most movies is honestly fine. For the rare movies though, I want better.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:39 PM   #8644
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm certainly not an expert but I do notice a difference between 4K and Blu Ray disks. Sometimes it's not very noticable but every time the 4K looks and sounds better than Blu Ray or streaming. Also my reasoning is if I'm buying a film, I'll spend the extra $5/$10 get it on the best format available and then never have to rebuy it. Here is a comparison I found for 2001 Space Odyssey and you can see much brighter colors and sharper lines for the 4K disk.

Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:58 AM   #8645
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
For local film fans - 2001: A Space Odyssey is playing at the Plaza! This MUST be seen on a big screen a least once.
Not sure The Plaza counts as a big screen.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 AM   #8646
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the new Ghostbusters movie yesterday. The pacing could have been a bit better and they try to cram in too many characters, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a fun mix of the original films crossed with the Real Ghostbusters animated series. Solid story and a cool villain as well.

Aykroyd brings so much joy to his role and almost steals the show. You can tell he just loves making these movies. McKenna Grace was excellent once again as Phoebe, and I liked the family dynamic between her, Carrie Coon, and Paul Rudd's characters. This one felt like the last adventure for the OG crew before the new gang fully takes over the firehouse. Overall I'd put this movie on par with the previous film. Afterlife moved at a slower pace and tugged at the heartstrings a little more, while this one is busier with more action and Ghostbusting. Hopefully they can make at least one more of these.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:35 AM   #8647
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Saw the new Ghostbusters movie yesterday. The pacing could have been a bit better and they try to cram in too many characters, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a fun mix of the original films crossed with the Real Ghostbusters animated series. Solid story and a cool villain as well.

Aykroyd brings so much joy to his role and almost steals the show. You can tell he just loves making these movies. McKenna Grace was excellent once again as Phoebe, and I liked the family dynamic between her, Carrie Coon, and Paul Rudd's characters. This one felt like the last adventure for the OG crew before the new gang fully takes over the firehouse. Overall I'd put this movie on par with the previous film. Afterlife moved at a slower pace and tugged at the heartstrings a little more, while this one is busier with more action and Ghostbusting. Hopefully they can make at least one more of these.
Intriguing, I too watched Ghostbusters last night and for the most part I concur with your assessment.

I liked it. It wasnt great, it leaves a lot of gaps and leans heavily on callbacks and cameos and I also agree that Aykroyd nearly stole it.

So to go back a bit, thematically it wasn't 'great' but I loved almost every minute of it. Its got that cheese element, it doesnt have the 'natural comedy' element of the originals but lets be real, that was ' catching lightning in a bottle' you cant compare anything to that.

And come on...the Ecto1!

There are so many iconic cars in film, the DeLorean, the various Batmobiles, the Bullit Mustang, Bond's various cars....the Bluesmobile for God's sake! I can on and on, but the Ecto1 is just so 'Ghostbusters.'

Like, its not sleek, its not fast but it is the vehicular personification of its users, its this schlubby rolly-polley big vehicle that is basically equipped to do anything. Its got the tools and its got the talent! And its got the siren to prove it!

So I'll probably say something similar about this movie that I said about 'Afterlife.'

Was it perfect? No. Will you like it? Probably. Will a Ghostbusters fan like it? Almost certainly.

Standard Film Score: 6.5/10

Ghostbusters Fan Score: 8/10

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 11:08 AM   #8648
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh...and Kumail Nanjiani.

Hollywood...get this man as much work as he wants.

I dont know what it is about him, but he cracks me up. Just Gold in every scene he's in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-29-2024, 12:30 PM   #8649
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh...and Kumail Nanjiani.

Hollywood...get this man as much work as he wants.

I dont know what it is about him, but he cracks me up. Just Gold in every scene he's in.

Agreed, he was great. I hope they keep him around for the next one.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:32 PM   #8650
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Underworld 1&2 are awesome.
Evolution was decent, Rise of the Lycans was better than I remembered, however each were a step down from the proceeding film in the series. Rise of the Lycans is really just a Romeo and Juliet/Spartacus monster mash(up).

It dawned on me that the actor who played Tanis was in The Muppets Christmas Carol as Fred, which felt like quite the revelation.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 03-30-2024 at 12:08 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:02 PM   #8651
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Huge recommendation to Late Night With the Devil. I know many people in this thread will love it. The level of tension and unsettling feeling during the entire movie is off the charts. It was so well done, with some terrific acting performances. I had trouble sleeping last night after seeing it, that hadn't happened to me in years. I still felt in a hypnotic state of suggestion. It's not scary in a sense, but may leave you traumatised.

I also saw Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey II which also may leave you traumatised for other reasons... it's a step up from the first, yet still quite terrible. It has a bigger budget, and the gore/splatter gets an upgrade, and they're building a universe. Yet it's still quite terrible. If they used the characters properly there might be a movie there. They don't do that... it's basically just guys in costumes ripping off better horror movies. Trash. There's so much you could do ripping off these characters, yet they don't do that; it feels like a massive waste of an opportunity.

See Late Night With the Devil though. In theatres if possible, with an audience. That's the way it's meant to be seen.

I was going to see it but got postponed. Should be seeing it in the next week or so. Looking forward to it!

There's a blood & honey 2? Heard the first was atrocious.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:03 PM   #8652
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I checked out Godzilla x Kong last night. It was alright... At least it didn't feel overly generic like the last couple. It has it's own "feel" to it. It felt more like an Adam Wingard movie than the Godzilla vs. Kong. The music was good, and I always like Dan Stevens. The visuals were a step up, and it kept my interest. The fight scenes were fun.

Although as a Godzilla fan it felt like Kong co-starring Godzilla. 'Zilla often shows up for a couple minutes then quickly disappears. I would have prefered a version where Godzilla is the star of his own movie. At least this one doesn't waste our time developing human characters and removes much of the forced humor. The new kaiju were also pretty cool, and had a few moments themselves.

It's definitely not Minus One good... but it was fun for what it was. I liked it more than Ghostbusters. I do wish they treated the story seriously. The peak of this franchise will always be the first 30 minutes before Bryan Cranston unexpectedly croaked. If only they kept that going the rest of the way.

Last edited by trackercowe; 03-29-2024 at 01:06 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 04:33 PM   #8653
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also took the boy to see Godzilla x Kong today. It's about what you would expect. The humans are there to mostly give exposition and a small amount of emotional attachment to Kong. The rest of it is like watching an extensive MMA match between CGI apes, which is not without merit.

I do really enjoy watching Brian Tyree Henry. He always seems to play one of the most enjoyable parts of any movie he's in these days.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:58 PM   #8654
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love most Kaiju/monster fare, but Godzilla x Kong looked like a darn video game in the trailers.

VFX took me right out of it. Looked like budget-300 CG graphics. I don't know if I can sit through a whole movie of that unless the story is really engrossing.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:32 AM   #8655
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream Scenario starring Nicholas Cage was good. Entertaining all the way through, well written and acted. These high concept allegory movies can often fall too much in love with being clever or making Big Statements, or they're either too on the nose or too confused about what they're actually saying, but this one worked very well. It's an easy watch, stays pretty light even when dealing with heavy topics, it's thought provoking but not preachy. An A24 film, for those who care.

Would recommend if the premise looks interesting to you. Essentially, this is a good version of the film promised in the trailer.

Also rewached Godfather 2. Still worthy of it's reputation, a fantastic film. I actually strongly prefer it over Godfather 1.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 07:56 AM   #8656
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Roadhouse

The directing is bad.
The writing is (mostly) bad.
The camera work is really weird.
McGregor is laughable.

Despite the above, I was laughing most of the way through and had an enjoyable time. Gyllenhaal carries it and is obviously having fun. I liked the MMA backstory (I'm not a big MMA fan mostly because of scenes like guys pounding on the faces of obviously unconscious opponents). It obviously knew what it was and some of the characters had me howling. Especially the biker with the broken arm who was super polite. Gyllenhaal had some laugh moments as well.

Overall I had fun. It's not a serious movie and thats okay,.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:13 AM   #8657
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched Roadhouse

The directing is bad.
The writing is (mostly) bad.
The camera work is really weird.
McGregor is laughable.

Despite the above, I was laughing most of the way through and had an enjoyable time. Gyllenhaal carries it and is obviously having fun. I liked the MMA backstory (I'm not a big MMA fan mostly because of scenes like guys pounding on the faces of obviously unconscious opponents). It obviously knew what it was and some of the characters had me howling. Especially the biker with the broken arm who was super polite. Gyllenhaal had some laugh moments as well.

Overall I had fun. It's not a serious movie and thats okay,.
Yeah I dont get the criticism.

As I've said over and over again, this movie told viewers what it was and what they were going to get and then delivered on that promise.

It was not a serious movie and it never pretended to be. And theres nothing wrong with that.

It was what it said it was going to be. A couple hours of mindless entertainment.

Its not threatening to sweep the Oscars or anything.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:40 AM   #8658
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say I felt the camera and direction felt very bad in certain places. Weird framing. Bad lighting. Strange edits. Took me out of the fights and felt like a a bit of a mess sometimes with weird camera moves and what felt like a lot maybe 'on the fly' sort of things, which Liman is famous for. But how that could become The Bourne Identity vs what this is pretty stark. He was obviously trying some things that IMO didn't work. If the fights were filmed like Identity, this probably would have been a lot more awesome. And if MacGregor wasn't in it. He's really bad. His character is literally an ape. It could have been fun with someone who could give off a menacing persona vs a silly one. A Jason Stathom in his role would have been better.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #8659
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will say I felt the camera and direction felt very bad in certain places. Weird framing. Bad lighting. Strange edits. Took me out of the fights and felt like a a bit of a mess sometimes with weird camera moves and what felt like a lot maybe 'on the fly' sort of things, which Liman is famous for. But how that could become The Bourne Identity vs what this is pretty stark. He was obviously trying some things that IMO didn't work. If the fights were filmed like Identity, this probably would have been a lot more awesome. And if MacGregor wasn't in it. He's really bad. His character is literally an ape. It could have been fun with someone who could give off a menacing persona vs a silly one. A Jason Stathom in his role would have been better.
Oh this film certainly did not have 'Statham Money.'

I'm thinking that 80% of their budget went the Gyllenhaal, the director took a chunk of what was left, McGregor is too brain-damaged to realize that people should get paid and they made the film on whatever was left.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:00 AM   #8660
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh this film certainly did not have 'Statham Money.'

I'm thinking that 80% of their budget went the Gyllenhaal, the director took a chunk of what was left, McGregor is too brain-damaged to realize that people should get paid and they made the film on whatever was left.
Yeah I agree for sure. I was thinking more a younger "Stathom type"...whoever that is I don't really know. I'm sure there's a stunt man around with some decent acting chops that could have been that. But they wanted MacGregor's face I'm sure.

He's just so, so bad.

Maybe even like a Tony Jaa would have been cool. Someone more silent Terminator type vs whatever MacGregor was doing.