Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #4481
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
$150 million to produce it. It made $40 million worldwide.

Directed by Roland Emmerich who has made many dumb/great movies. Universal Soldier, Stargate, Independence Day (1 & 2), Godzilla (1996), The Patriot, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, White House Down...

Don't get me wrong, Moonfall is not good but it's so dumb and over-the-top I couldn't stop watching to see what they did next.
and that's why I want to see it. I'm a sucker for any disaster movie, no matter how much it cost, how stupid the plot is and how bad the acting is.

I just enjoy them. the cheesier the better.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #4482
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Speaking of crumbling moons, did Elon Musk nuke the moon yet?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #4483
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Lost City was a lot better than I was expecting, which made for a nice surprise.

Had some legit laugh out loud moments. At parts involving grandmas and henchmen.

Hated Radcliffe, great villain.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #4484
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'll forgive a lot, but I can't bring myself to watch a movie where the premise is "The moon is angry at humanity".

I mean I watched most of Greenland.. Well Morena Baccarin was in it she makes it harder to stop watching a bad movie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #4485
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'll forgive a lot, but I can't bring myself to watch a movie where the premise is "The moon is angry at humanity".

I mean I watched most of Greenland.. Well Morena Baccarin was in it she makes it harder to stop watching a bad movie.
That woman is a Saint.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 08:43 PM   #4486
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The Lost City was a lot better than I was expecting, which made for a nice surprise.

Had some legit laugh out loud moments. At parts involving grandmas and henchmen.

Hated Radcliffe, great villain.
I'm just wondering when I might be able to watch it legally. Isn't it on Paramount+?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:52 PM   #4487
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 11:57 PM   #4488
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-30-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #4489
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I actually really enjoyed Greenland, I thought it was really well done. I thought it was going to be big, dumb & fun (my favourite) but it was actually a pretty great story with well written characters.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #4490
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched "X", the new A24 slasher.

It was okay. Some good bits, well mad entertainment, lots of references to classic horror if you're into that. Had some good ideas but didn't really do much with it. Decent popcorn movie for future streaming, but would not recommend paying money for it.

Honestly the first part of the movie before the slasher stuff starts was more interesting than the rest. It was disappointing that none of that character building ever really went anywhere.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #4491
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bubble started off slow, then got really entertaining, then got weird, then shot itself in the foot with about half the movie to go (almost literally). Really killed the very delicate momentum they had to that point.

Too bad. It's a cool concept that would have been better served with far less absurdity.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:40 AM   #4492
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Watched "X", the new A24 slasher.

It was okay. Some good bits, well mad entertainment, lots of references to classic horror if you're into that. Had some good ideas but didn't really do much with it. Decent popcorn movie for future streaming, but would not recommend paying money for it.

Honestly the first part of the movie before the slasher stuff starts was more interesting than the rest. It was disappointing that none of that character building ever really went anywhere.
The old couple had decent character development throughout. Mainly the lady and her uh.. lust for youth. Hence why it looks like they're doing a prequel with her story.

As far as horror, it was fairly strong.

Very well edited. Ample gore. Other disturbing...aspects.

The croc bit was savage.

The X girl needed more development yes. Just a super pretentious/self absorbed chick basically. But oh well, I'm not heartbroken about that.

Came to have a bloody good time. Left pretty satisfied.

Definitely in the bottom third of A24 flicks, but the studio also has a high floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 04-03-2022, 08:07 AM   #4493
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The Bubble started off slow, then got really entertaining, then got weird, then shot itself in the foot with about half the movie to go (almost literally). Really killed the very delicate momentum they had to that point.

Too bad. It's a cool concept that would have been better served with far less absurdity.

Yeah, The Bubble had us chuckling for the first half, then turned into a bit of a mess. Definitely needs to lose about 30mins of junk in the back half
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #4494
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The old couple had decent character development throughout. Mainly the lady and her uh.. lust for youth. Hence why it looks like they're doing a prequel with her story.

As far as horror, it was fairly strong.

Very well edited. Ample gore. Other disturbing...aspects.

The croc bit was savage.

The X girl needed more development yes. Just a super pretentious/self absorbed chick basically. But oh well, I'm not heartbroken about that.

Came to have a bloody good time. Left pretty satisfied.

Definitely in the bottom third of A24 flicks, but the studio also has a high floor.
Tastes vary obviously. I found the old couple a good idea but very lacking in execution. The makeup was just distracting for example, so fake looking as those things always are. To me the movie would have worked a lot better if the old couple had been actual old actors, and I think the whole thing would have been a lot more effective if they looked more normal instead of what they did here.

(It also would have made the movie feel less like it just hates old people and the idea of old people having a sexuality.)

And the whole "we're the same" thing would have IMO been a lot more creepy if it wasn't literally the same actress. That just made it feel like a joke and a gimmick.

On general I'm not a huge fan of meta and references done like that, where they're just references without adding any depth to the material (like an alternate way to think about a scene or something). Done like this, it just pulls me out and reminds me that yes, this movie is not actually as good as that movie and I could in fact right now be re-watching those much better movies.

Again, not a terrible movie, just so disposable.

Last edited by Itse; 04-03-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #4495
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Moonfall might be the single greatest disaster movie ever made.

The trailer makes it look ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous than the trailer. Every step of the way it gets more and more preposterous.

It's like it told Armageddon to "hold my beer".

Have a few drinks and just enjoy the ride. Don't even try to think about the science.

It's not on streaming services yet so you'll have to look "elsewhere" for it.
It showed up on Amazon, so we figured why not...well that was something. Logice need not apply. Somehow they actually made an interesting sci-fi story out of it, which I wasn't expecting at all. Probably 30 minutes too long.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #4496
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moonfall was so bad. So so very bad. And not in that "The Room" kind of way either.

Like...I love disaster movies and how campy they all can be. Just that this one...Roland Emmerich didn't even try.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #4497
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Jackass Forever was great. A bit too much male cornhole for my liking, but overall the news members and some of the skits were hilarious. The dark snake room was pure gold. Ehren McGhehey was the star for me. Knoxville was great as always.

I re-watched the other 3 movies before this one and felt that a lot of it didn't age that well. But JF hit all the right notes.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #4498
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Moonfall was so bad. So so very bad. And not in that "The Room" kind of way either.

Like...I love disaster movies and how campy they all can be. Just that this one...Roland Emmerich didn't even try.
I actually enjoyed it.

It was stupid but fun and Emmerich seems like he leaned into that.

It is not a good film, it really isnt, but for what it was I thought it was fun.

But do not, do not under any circumstances....pay to watch it.

Its a two-hour popcorn time-filler movie, but if you pay for it you are going to be bitterly disappointed. Sam Tarly was great in it as comic relief.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #4499
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We watched Moonfall last night. It was not good and yet we hung with it right to the end. Normally I would tap out early on a movie like this. It must have some redeeming qualities although I can't think of any right now.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #4500
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Moonfall was great. No fluff no pretending just one absurdity built on top of another. The script was especially a stand out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post: