Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #3541
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Alita Battle Angel is up on Disney+ so I thought I'd give a go.

It was actually pretty damned good! Nothing super deep, but the visuals are fricking fantastic and the action sequences are entertaining and just kinetic in a way that most cgi-fests like this usually aren't. Really good looking shots and camera angles and the choreographies feel like there's a constant momentum to what's happening.

Even the characters are fine, in a kind of adorable teen movie way. I really don't get why this didn't do better in the box office originally. Then again I guess I'm one of the guilty ones for skipping it, but now that it doesn't cost you extra, I would recommend checking it out.

Probably mentioned before, but the manga of this is pretty entertaining too if you want to explore that universe a bit more.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #3542
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Venom was fine. The first half hour was cringe bad. Like they watched Batman and robin a whole bunch of times while writing it. Then it turned around a bit and felt more like the original for the last 45 or so minutes.

If they would have spent more time in the first half building the story instead of making those awful attempts at jokes that fell flat, I think it would’ve been far better.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #3543
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very excited for Halloween horror season.

Lamb, Antlers and Halloween Kills look highly enjoyable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 PM   #3544
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halloween 4 was great, probably one of the best sequels in the Franchise. Halloween 5 was not good at all, such a disapointment after how good 4 was.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:17 AM   #3545
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Probably mentioned before, but the manga of this is pretty entertaining too if you want to explore that universe a bit more.
Well I do know it's kind of a classic or at least very popular, so I might at some point.

That said what I liked about the movie was mostly visuals and fight scenes, which are pretty format specific. (Obviously not 100% so.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 AM   #3546
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Perhaps you've forgotten that whole episode where a bunch of MRA types made it the official movie of the "red pill" crowd because it was released around the same time as Captain Marvel and they didn't like Brie Larson... I suspect that didn't help in terms of marketing.
Those people also hated Fury Road and nobody cared.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #3547
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought No Time to Die was an awesome film. Great action, good humor and a deeper look into Bond's character. Felt like I got to know Bond on a personal level more in this film then others. Looks like it got mixed reviews, but it's up there for me as one of the best.

Spoiler!

Daniel Craig, a job well well done representing the franchise over the years.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #3548
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched Many Saints of Newark last night, boy what a mess. No cohesive story of any kind, it just seemed like a bunch of skits set in the Sopranos world simply as fan service. Some of the young actors were terrible too, going into parody territory of the original actors. I had planned a Sopranos rewatch after this movie to get back into it, now I think I have to just to erase the memory
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #3549
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halloween Kills is great, it's like a 80s slasher film with a modern twist. I absolutely loved it, it was so brutal with some amazing kills, and surprisingly beautiful cinematography. This ones going on rotation every October for me, probably my 2nd favorite of the franchise, I even saw a few nods to Halloween 3 in this one.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #3550
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m basing this on nothing factual at all but I think the Last Duel is going to bomb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #3551
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The Lat Duel looks horrible. Maybe I'm missing something? I agree, I think it will be a dud.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #3552
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m basing this on nothing factual at all but I think the Last Duel is going to bomb.
This hair style is factual. So I'd say you have your empirical evidence.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #3553
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I suspect you're right. The last tag line I heard is "based on the incredible true story". Does anyone really care whether dues is a true story or not? It would probably be better if it wasn't.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #3554
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The Lat Duel looks horrible. Maybe I'm missing something? I agree, I think it will be a dud.
It’s getting good reviews and I think it looks great. It just has no audience and is sandwiched between a bunch of movies people want to see more.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #3555
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Halloween Kills is great, it's like a 80s slasher film with a modern twist. I absolutely loved it, it was so brutal with some amazing kills, and surprisingly beautiful cinematography. This ones going on rotation every October for me, probably my 2nd favorite of the franchise, I even saw a few nods to Halloween 3 in this one.
So if one has never seen any of the Halloween movies but is interested in the newest ones, what should be the watch order?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #3556
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I'll be spending a few bucks next week on the movie theaters.

Definitely going to take in the Last Duel on the big screen. Seeing as my favorite Ridley Scott movies are all based on ancient tales. Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven. Although Robin Hood Sucked. I really enjoy these period pieces By Scott.

Also, gonna double down on Venom 2 in the same day too.

Then on the week after the 2nnd, I'll definitely be hitting the Imax up for Dune.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #3557
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But those transitional cross cut scenes. So artsy.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #3558
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Watched Many Saints of Newark last night, boy what a mess. No cohesive story of any kind, it just seemed like a bunch of skits set in the Sopranos world simply as fan service. Some of the young actors were terrible too, going into parody territory of the original actors. I had planned a Sopranos rewatch after this movie to get back into it, now I think I have to just to erase the memory
This movie felt like an extended flashback scene from the show, vs. having enough material or plot for a feature film.

Take away the Sopranos connection and the obligatory easter eggs everywhere, and this would have a totally forgettable cable TV movie. Actually, it probably never even gets made.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:45 AM   #3559
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Never doubt Ridley Scott.

I had slight reservations due to the Damon and Affleck casting but I must admit they were incredible and it's astounding to see what Jodie Comer is capable of especially in contrast with something like Free Guy.

Exceeded my expectations, loved it.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:13 AM   #3560
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lamb was an experience.

Never seen anything like it, and confident I never will again. But glad I did.

A24 can just keep making awesome, atmospheric mind####y and I'll be here for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: