Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #201
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
You do realize he can't even sign till July 1st? If it bothers you so much don't pay attention to it .
Can't really avoid it if you're a hockey fan.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #202
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Having personally lived in many of the high tax and low tax places in Canada and the US, I have never really understood the focus on taxes when it comes to places to live. Sure at the extremes it could theoretically make a difference, but for most places the difference is not that much. Especially when you factor in actually living there, most of the costs balance out anyways.

For example I currently live in the US, and my federal/state taxes are lower than in Canada. But when I add what I pay for healthcare, property tax, and road/bridge tolls, it is a wash or more expensive for my base life costs here. With paying for private school because the public ones here are so underfunded and horrible, I am actually paying a lot more to live here than I did to live in Canada. Even in the states, moving from Texas to California, the tax differences were an absolute non factor for me.

What really matters to me is the place itself. Are there the climate and amenities right for what me and my family want to do? Does the city have good communities for the hobbies you+family are interested in? Does the city have a large base of the type of employment you are interested in? Different cities have different personalities, find the one that is right for you.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
Having personally lived in many of the high tax and low tax places in Canada and the US, I have never really understood the focus on taxes when it comes to places to live. Sure at the extremes it could theoretically make a difference, but for most places the difference is not that much. Especially when you factor in actually living there, most of the costs balance out anyways.

For example I currently live in the US, and my federal/state taxes are lower than in Canada. But when I add what I pay for healthcare, property tax, and road/bridge tolls, it is a wash or more expensive for my base life costs here. With paying for private school because the public ones here are so underfunded and horrible, I am actually paying a lot more to live here than I did to live in Canada. Even in the states, moving from Texas to California, the tax differences were an absolute non factor for me.
You just might not be in the same bracket as the players. Taxes are way lower for the rich in the US and even out more at the bottom end. Anyway, hockey players aren't paying health care wherever they play. Not many have school aged kids and the ones who do probably use private schools even in Canada (lots of people I know do even where I can't see the difference). Toronto has tolls.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #204
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Slightly off topic but anyone who's paying for private school in Canada must have a lot of money to burn because they aren't getting a better quality of education for their kids than they would at your average public school. Giant waste of money.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #205
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post

What really matters to me is the place itself. Are there the climate and amenities right for what me and my family want to do? Does the city have good communities for the hobbies you+family are interested in? Does the city have a large base of the type of employment you are interested in? Different cities have different personalities, find the one that is right for you.
The difference in income tax between Florida and New York is $800,000 per year on a 10M per year contract. That isn’t getting made up by road tolls or the other things you listed. All the things a normal person considers cost of living expenses are completely irrelavant to someone making $10M in base salary.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #206
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Slightly off topic but anyone who's paying for private school in Canada must have a lot of money to burn because they aren't getting a better quality of education for their kids than they would at your average public school. Giant waste of money.
As a teacher I would never send a kid to private school. They are so far behind the 8 ball in education and the life experiences kids get in the public system far out ways being sheltered in the private system.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #207
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone care to put forward their prediction on what will happen?

My guess is that he signs an 8-year extension with the Islanders before noon on Friday. Cap hit greater than Kane/Toews/Price ($10.5M) but lower than McDavid ($12.5M).
Old 06-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #208
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think he signs with the Islanders for 8 years in the neighbourhood of $11 million/season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #209
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

$12.5mil/yr in San Jose is my best guess.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #210
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signs with Calgary. 7 years for 5.0 mil per season.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he re-ups with the NYI for 8 years at 11.5M/yr. If for some reason that does not happen I will bet the same deal to the Leafs. I don't see him playing anywhere else than those two teams.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #212
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Signs with Calgary. 7 years for 5.0 Mil per season.
If that happens I will add you doing the Buddy Christ next to BT on my back.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #213
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because its worst case I'm going to say San Jose without a doubt. $85 million total.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #214
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He'll go to Tampa and then things will get stupid. Tampa will also get Karlsson and then sell off all their role players. They'll be Tavares, Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Karlsson, Vassihartdtospell and a bunch of other guys.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #215
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
The difference in income tax between Florida and New York is $800,000 per year on a 10M per year contract. That isn’t getting made up by road tolls or the other things you listed. All the things a normal person considers cost of living expenses are completely irrelavant to someone making $10M in base salary.
Exactly this. Health care is expensive as hell in the US but his health insurance making $10 million a year is not necessarily more expensive than the guy making $100K running his own small business.

Property taxes do matter though, over 4% in many states. But then it all depends where he wants to own a house.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #216
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
You are correct, but only to a certain degree. Honestly, private health insurance and private education cost an incredible amount of money in the U.S. If you have several children, your costs could easily be $100 K for a year. I will say that if they're making that much money, they aren't going to worry about a few hundred thousand dollars difference over the quality of life factors. There's just a tad more culture in New York compared to Florida. In that sense the extra taxes become irrelevant to a large degree as well.

Besides which, acquiring wealth is just the first part of the game. Maintaining wealth by making smart purchases and investing well, is far more important long-term than what the taxes are.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #217
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You are correct, but only to a certain degree. Honestly, private health insurance and private education cost an incredible amount of money in the U.S. If you have several children, your costs could easily be $100 K for a year. I will say that if they're making that much money, they aren't going to worry about a few hundred thousand dollars difference over the quality of life factors. There's just a tad more culture in New York compared to Florida. In that sense the extra taxes become irrelevant to a large degree as well.

Besides which, acquiring wealth is just the first part of the game. Maintaining wealth by making smart purchases and investing well, is far more important long-term than what the taxes are.
$100K seems high but I guess you are including private school in there to. In that case yeah you could easily spend that or more. Which doesn't even begin to include saving for college.

You are right though, lots of super rich people choose to live in California and NY, the highest tax states. But a ton of athletes live in Florida and Texas for the very reason of low taxes.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #218
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d imagine their health care is covered as part of their compensation package. Probably their families too.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #219
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream scenario: Signs in Tampa, they have to trade us Brayden Point to make room for him.

Realistic scenario: I think he signs with the Isles again at $11mAAV for 7 years.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #220
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While it might make no difference for the average Joe where you live in terms of taxes, I do concede that for the guy making millions of dollars, it absolutely makes a difference financially. Still there are other factors at play. If I was making money like Tavares, personally, I would give up a few $100,000 out my $10 million salary to live somewhere that I want to. Not saying that's where Tavares' head is at right now, but who knows.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote