Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Flames The Mangiapane & Kyllington Signing Thread

ARBITRATION HEARINGS

August 5 - Andrew Mangiapane

August 10 - Oliver Kyllington
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would like to see Mangiapane at 6x6 and Kylington at 2x2.75.

Think that makes sense for everybody involved. Keeps Oliver in RFA territory, too, I believe.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would like to see Mangiapane at 6x6 and Kylington at 2x2.75.

Think that makes sense for everybody involved. Keeps Oliver in RFA territory, too, I believe.
Bang on, I expect both of those to be quite close.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Mangiapane's agent was certainly quick out the gate following the Gaudreau departure.

Big opportunity for Andrew to step up to the plate, one that I think he relishes.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've just got an uneasy feeling about Kylington moving forward. I wouldn't mind seeing him moved. Guess we'll see how it plays out.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

8x5.5 for Mangiapane

8x4 for Kylington
Old 07-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #7
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
8x5.5 for Mangiapane

8x4 for Kylington
Mangiapane is getting 50m total if he signs an 8 year deal.

Kylington on the other hand should only be offered a bridge of 2 x 2.5m.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane is the guy that I question whether he can keep his level of play up. I would be hesitant to give him a big contract over eight years. I think he's a candidate for a big step backward this year. Kylington reminds me of Giordano right before he became a major player for the Flames. I'd see if they can lock him in longer-term on a cheap contract, otherwise bridge and be prepared for the consequences.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #9
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me I see a chance to slot Mangiapane on the off wing like they did with Tkachuk and make a top line of Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane

One of the best passers in the league with a couple of snipers who like to go to the dirty areas and have a nose for the net seems like a grand recipe. Not afraid to sign Mangi long term at all, he has a ton of drive and loves playing here, one of our fearless players too.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #10
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Mangiapane is the guy that I question whether he can keep his level of play up. I would be hesitant to give him a big contract over eight years. I think he's a candidate for a big step backward this year. Kylington reminds me of Giordano right before he became a major player for the Flames. I'd see if they can lock him in longer-term on a cheap contract, otherwise bridge and be prepared for the consequences.
If Kylington ever learns how to integrate some deceptiveness into his skating, he will become a monster. People rave about his great skating, but it's all like straight-line speed, defenders can anticipate exactly what he's doing. He's gotta copy some moves from Makar.

I would say that if Kylington shows that he wants to improve his skills in the off-season, we lock him up long-term.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #11
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mangiapane is an interesting case. The agent has come out looking for term as that bargaining position is likely the best he will ever get. Big goal total plus two wingers rejecting long term deals in the same offseason.

His shooting percentage is unsustainably high, but even with regression towards career mean he's still potting 25+ goals and this is on moderate volume. If he gets more prime minutes, especially on the powerplay, that could keep him over 30 even with regression in shooting percentage

Ultimately though he's not the kind of guy you sign for 7 or 8 years. 4-6 is better and he has a very clear comparable in Kempe who signed 4 years at 5.5M AAV. If you want to get the 5th or 6th year that might cost a little more, but it shouldn't go over 6 IMO
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If I'm the Flames, I have absolutely no interest in going into this season with any top-6 on defence other than Weegar, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington, and Zadorov.

That's just a ridiculously strong group, the kind that wins you a Stanley Cup. I think you only move one of those guys if the return knocks your socks off.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If you can extend Huberdeau I think a longer term contract for Mangiapane would be okay. But a shorter term deal might be in order if the team finds itself in a rebuild be 2025 type of thing.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If I'm the Flames, I have absolutely no interest in going into this season with any top-6 on defence other than Weegar, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington, and Zadorov.

That's just a ridiculously strong group, the kind that wins you a Stanley Cup. I think you only move one of those guys if the return knocks your socks off.
It is a very strong group, but we might need a bit more help upfront this year. Besides, we have a lot of D that can step into a bottom pair role.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #15
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Kylington goes to arbitration, what would happen to him next year? UFA?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
It is a very strong group, but we might need a bit more help upfront this year. Besides, we have a lot of D that can step into a bottom pair role.
The only guy I would be comfortable projecting that with is Mackey. Stone in a pinch if you bring him back. But you need to account for injuries, with which the Flames have been extremely lucky of late.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:29 PM   #17
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Meloche is on a one way contract. I figure he's the number seven, or at least the Michael Stone replacement.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #18
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a bit surprised that Stone wasn't brought back to the team. His shot from the point is dynamite. Maybe the Flames can afford to move out one of their current top 6 dmen for a haul.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #19
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mangiapani has always been underestimated in his career. He also has a habit of proving his detractors wrong.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #20
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has proved everyone wrong time after time. If we don’t sign him to what he’s worth he will sign a low term deal to get the hell out of here and go to a team that will appreciate his services better. He’s done nothing but improve his game. It coincides with the ice time he gets. He actually got less ice time last season than the season prior. Give him 2/3 more mins per game and you’re looking at a consistent 35-40 goal scorer. He would be great with Huberdeau and Lindholm. I think we need to realize we finally have a solid sniper on this team.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-24-2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Apparently I think Tkachuk is still on the team!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good