Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #101
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames vs Ottawa, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
So Ward is actually saying that Nordstrom is a better choice for the 4th line LW than Bennett? I know Bennett has been disappointing at times, but Nordstrom has been the worst player on the ice most games. Yet another head scratcher.

Nordstrom is really strong on the PK. Bennet does not have any area right now where he is really strong
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #102
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol, I am so happy I have something to do tonight other than watch tv.

This game is going to go very poorly.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #103
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Ward is actually saying that Nordstrom is a better choice for the 4th line LW than Bennett? I know Bennett has been disappointing at times, but Nordstrom has been the worst player on the ice most games. Yet another head scratcher.
At this stage none of it matters.

Ward is a lame coach. The roster is filled with holes. I imagine the team will battle long enough to stay relevant in the standings for a while longer, but we know what the team as a whole is capable of.

I’m ready for the Bennett noise to be done. I hope he’s traded soon, and the return doesn’t matter. The Flames are saying he’s completely worthless by scratching him on what seems like is becoming a weekly basis, so by their own assessment the the player isn’t worth any sort of meaningful return.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #104
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
To be honest I don't think it matters what Ward does anymore there will be fans that bash him. They just got dummied by the Sens.....if he kept the same lines intact there would be people here saying he's an idiot. Put the lines in a blender, he's an idiot. It doesn't really matter anymore. Just have to hope something clicks and they can pick up points against a team they should be better than. If Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm and Tkachuk can play the way they can it shouldn't matter what the lines are. If those four, heck even one or two of them, decide they're taking the night off again it won't matter what the lines are.

This cop out style argument is one I roll my eyes at. Just because the coach tries different things and they both don’t work doesn’t mean much.

I will say this. The blender usage is idiotic. It’s all been tried at this point and people need to develop chemistry.

It’s like that expression that when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Ward is painting a picture, and instead of a paintbrush, he is using a blender

I read an article where all these wingers talk about playing with Crosby. He would go over plays with them, tell them where he wants them to be, work with them after practice on 2 on 1s and tell them where he wants a pass. He will look at the iPad on the bench and ask guys if they were thinking forehand or backhand

He loved every little detail that gives them a fraction of a second advantage

The Flames show up and have no idea who the heck they are even going to be playing with, much less what their tendencies are going to be.

They are not even trying to do the things that give you those little advantages.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #105
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're certainly not helping their case for selling Bennett by healthy scratching him. Why do the Flames insist on getting the lowest possible return for their assets?
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #106
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spring is in the air.
So, does anyone care?
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People on here complained about healthy scratching Frolik last season...now he is playing in the AHL
Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #108
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're certainly not helping their case for selling Bennett by healthy scratching him. Why do the Flames insist on getting the lowest possible return for their assets?
Well, if pro scouts watched Bennett PLAY, in Ottawa, the Flames will get the lowest possible return...guaranteed.

He deserves to sit tonight.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #109
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruzicka is averaging two points a game in the AHL and we have Ritchie and Leivo in the lineup to add size.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #110
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
How Leivo keeps getting top 6 minutes is beyond me.
Exactly. Where is our "Earned not giving" thing?
For me I'll put Ryan with Johnny and Monny. Ryan has IQ and D skill to complement the other 2. And can take FO when Monny is rejected.
Who cares 4th line as Ward doesn't play and give them valuable minutes.
Call Phillips, Ružička and play with Zac. They may chip a goal or at least will play hard.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #111
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Ruzicka is averaging two points a game in the AHL and we have Ritchie and Leivo in the lineup to add size.
Treliving should be wearing a helmet at all times.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #112
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
For me I'll put Ryan with Johnny and Monny. Ryan has IQ and D skill to complement the other 2. And can take FO when Monny is rejected.
Call Phillips, Ružička and play with Zac. They may chip a goal or at least will play hard.
Are we seriously suggesting Ryan should be playing top line minutes now? He's a guy who is replacement level by many metrics, and offers zilch in terms of driving play or offensive acumen. You might as well put trusty old Sam Bennett back up there since that worked so well.

If you are advocating for a change on that line, how about promoting Pettersen, Philips from the Heat and into the top 6. This allows you to bump up a guy like Dube or Mangiapane to the top line. At least this way you're promoting someone with the prerequisite play driving/puck skills as opposed to what amounts to another wet rag riding shot gun with the teams priciest players.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #113
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames win tonight and roll Edmonton Saturday. Ward runs for mayor - gets CP endorsement.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #114
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Are we seriously suggesting Ryan should be playing top line minutes now? He's a guy who is replacement level by many metrics, and offers zilch in terms of driving play or offensive acumen. You might as well put trusty old Sam Bennett back up there since that worked so well.

If you are advocating for a change on that line, how about promoting Pettersen, Philips from the Heat and into the top 6. This allows you to bump up a guy like Dube or Mangiapane to the top line. At least this way you're promoting someone with the prerequisite play driving/puck skills as opposed to what amounts to another wet rag riding shot gun with the teams priciest players.
I think Ryan is much better player than you think. He is making his line better. I remember last time he was giving 1st line C in couple games and he was playing good.

His much better player than Bennett, Leivo or whoever else that played with Johnny and Monny.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #115
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I'm not sure that having these guys play 4-6 minutes per game without any special teams in a different team and for a different coach, versus a prominent, high minute and responsible role for Stockton is better development.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #116
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

First game after a long road trip -- they already have their built in excuse for not showing up.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #117
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett scratched...

Kylington playing...

But Leivo and Nordstrom still playing...
Old 03-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #118
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because Sam Bennett is mostly ineffective 5-on-5
Because Sam Bennett isn't on the PP
Because Sam Bennett isn't on the PK

Because Sam Bennett is borderline useless unless he's crashing and banging and he's not even doing that anymore
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #119
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not sure that having these guys play 4-6 minutes per game without any special teams in a different team and for a different coach, versus a prominent, high minute and responsible role for Stockton is better development.
There really is not a reason to think an AHL call-up would be benched, so I do not think that one can expect to see minutes that low. More like 7-10. Outside of the game where Dube got injured, nobody has really been in that range of ice time that I can remember.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #120
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Bennett scratched...

Kylington playing...

But Leivo and Nordstrom still playing...
Nordstrom at least is a good penalty killer
Leivo is just lost...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post: