Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #121
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

A working dog isn't called a working dog for ####s and giggles. If you get one of those breeds you better be ready to put in a minimum of two hours of outdoor time a day and probably some indoor mental stimulation as well. And if you do those breeds are incredible. And if you don't everyone will hate your dog, and by extension you.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #122
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It seems like because of Covid, every family in my neighborhood got a dog over the last year. So now when I walk my daughter to school, it's a non-stop dog parade. In the 4 blocks to school, we literally come across 8-10 dogs on the way there and back.

That's fine and all, but I hate how everyone with a dog assumes you love dogs too, and they all just assume everyone wants to play with their dog...when I just want to walk my kid to school. I have nothing against dogs, I just don't care to interact with them...especially every 20 feet. I just want to keep walking. No, sorry lady, I don't want to say hi. I don't care what his name/breed is. No, I don't want your dog jumping on my kid. Yes, I'm sure he's harmless, but no. It's gauntlet of annoying dog owners.

/Sliver5
Well thats tough. My dog wants to lick your kid's face and shower them with love and attention and thats just all there is to it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #123
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Using a power rake is such a good idea... I’m an idiot. Method changed!

If you’re Slivers neighbour, he’d probably be ok loaning you his mower to power rake the unsightly lumps into a fine slurry.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #124
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is generally accompanied with "Don't worry he isn't aggressive" "Don't worry he's nice"

Or some other bull#### to justify their piss poor dog owner behavior.
I hated this one when I was walking a German shepherd who was a police dog dropout. I'd yell back "Yeah, but she's not nice."

Whenever she was wearing her harness she approached life as if she was on-guard; that's why she dropped out. I think she actually mentally classified other leashed dogs as "on the job" and non-leashed dogs as uncontrolled threats. She could meet other dogs on leashes without issue. If a dog came up running off leash while on a walk you could see her eyes snap into Terminator mode like she was deciding how she would kill it.

Sometimes leashing your dog is so that other owners don't have to watch their dog take down yours.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #125
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Some dogs are just jerks. When it comes to intelligence and personality, they have a lot of individual variation based on genetics, just like people. You might be able to train them to suppress their urges , but they will still emerge if the dog has not been bred to pick up on human social queues. Breeds that have been bred for companionship over hundreds of years pick it up naturally with little or no training. Dogs that were bred for working, hunting, or fighting will never suppress their urges 100% and be happy doing it. I think it's almost cruel to own an a dog like that in a normal urban setting because it must be incredibly frustrating for them to suppress their natural urges. The stuff they do that annoys us, is fun and rewarding for them. Making them go against their nature would be like training a human that having fun is a bad thing.
Your post reminds me of the movie "Marly and Me". I don't think I could ever allow a lab to get that undisciplined. I think in the movie it was his father he took after, and he was not around when they came to evaluate the pups.

When choosing a dog, I think you should first know its natural traits, and what you want in a dog. As far as barking is concerned, some dogs are naturally yappy. Stay away from them, especially if your neighbor is Sliver. Secondly, choose a well recommended breeder, not a puppy mill. Thirdly, know what to look for in pups, as you say, they are all different.

For me, I want a hunting dog that is trainable, is a companion, protector, loves kids, and all round family dog. For me, the lab or golden retriever would qualify in all respects. I still think of those beautiful photos of Cowperson and his golden retrievers hiking through the hills.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #126
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Your post reminds me of the movie "Marly and Me". I don't think I could ever allow a lab to get that undisciplined. I think in the movie it was his father he took after, and he was not around when they came to evaluate the pups.

When choosing a dog, I think you should first know its natural traits, and what you want in a dog. As far as barking is concerned, some dogs are naturally yappy. Stay away from them, especially if your neighbor is Sliver. Secondly, choose a well recommended breeder, not a puppy mill. Thirdly, know what to look for in pups, as you say, they are all different.

For me, I want a hunting dog that is trainable, is a companion, protector, loves kids, and all round family dog. For me, the lab or golden retriever would qualify in all respects. I still think of those beautiful photos of Cowperson and his golden retrievers hiking through the hills.
What kind of dog do you figure is the best for protecting its owners from wildlife?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #127
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I started watching After Life with Ricky Gervais. After his wife dies of cancer, their dog is literally the only thing keeping him from killing himself so far.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #128
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What kind of dog do you figure is the best for protecting its owners from wildlife?
I think most dogs have a protective element, and will warn you if they sense danger. The only dog you don't want is a very timid one, that runs back to you when you encounter a bear.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #129
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Neighbors dog droppings

Quote:

Giant Malamute. Very protective, but great with kids.

Pic from internet, not mine, but had two Mals in the past.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post

Yeah...no thanks.

Its a bit of an expenditure to purchase a forklift to pick up after them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #131
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post

Speaking of picking up giant droppings...do you follow them around with a dump truck?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #132
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I hated this one when I was walking a German shepherd who was a police dog dropout. I'd yell back "Yeah, but she's not nice."
This is why we rarely go to the off leash parks anymore, some people just cannot believe their dog isn't just playing and is always a good boy.

Our one dog is 30lbs, so not tiny but still small and is generally well behaved at the park but we have had enough encounters with people who don't understand that their dogs can do some real damage and not everything is play.

Last summer was the worst when someone had a rescue greyhound that clearly should not have been offleash chase mine down and clip him so he basically did a barrel roll. My dog was clearly agitated and must have thought it was time to fight or die and lunged at the greyhound's neck before I could get there and pick him up.

Thankfully he is too dumb to actually connect but it really pissed me off when the greyhound's owner casually walked over and said they liked each other and were having a great time. Clearly not and I both dogs could have got hurt.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #133
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of picking up giant droppings...do you follow them around with a dump truck?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #134
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I'm just gonna throw this in here re: confronting neighbours.

A little over a year ago, I was convinced, without a shadow of a doubt, I was 100% in the right about a flag our neighbour had in their backyard. We live on a ridge, with a panoramic mountain view in Cochrane, and he erected a Canadian flag on his back fence, smack dab in the center of the mountain view. Is it tacky patriotism? Yes. Is it the last thing you want to obstruct an incredible view of the Rocky Mountains with? Yes. Does it bag and clang when it's windy? Every time. Are other neighbors disjointed about it? Yup.

Is it legal? 100%.

As long as it is an Alberta or Canadian flag, it is 100% a non-issue. All I read in the city by-laws was "Nobody can erect flagpoles, temp structures over X height, etc etc etc.... and didn't read all the fine print about what types of flags.

After politely asking him to remove it, and him saying no, things got ugly. Outside of questionable tastes in flag positioning, I had no issues with them, and they were pretty decent neighbors. But it did get heated, things were said both ways that can't be taken back, and then a pandemic hit, and a flag on someone's fence, really seems like a non-issue, and I really learned a lesson about how to behave when not getting my way. I also found out he was a veteran that didn't advertise the fact.

A year later, we've gotten close to patching it up. I've done a lot of snow shoveling to help his wife when he's out of town, offered Covid PPE to him as we have a surplus and just generally tried to be much better and more accepting neighbours. We are on speaking terms again, but in the end, I should have asked, and when I didn't get the answer I didn't like, I should have just accepted it.

This situation sounds similar, and I suggest you not stare at the poop.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #135
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
This is the worst advice imaginable.

OP, straight to bylaw on this. If your neighbours ask if you called, just say no. It's too annoying having friction with your neighbours, so just let the people you already pay (bylaw officers) handle this for you.

First question bylaw will ask is if you talked to the neighbours before calling. Just say yeah. Also, keep a log and take some photos.

If people are going to leave #### on their lawn (unbelievable this is even a thing), go straight to thermonuclear. That is beyond disgusting.
I believe in being honest and giving people a chance to do the right thing before going straight to bylaw. Yeah, it might be a bit awkward, but maybe they genuinely need help due to injury.

Or they're not an a-hole, they just have been a bit lax. And if they are an a-hole, sure, that's what bylaw is for. But if you go that route, at least have the gumption to admit it.

Different strokes I guess.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #136
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure it's the same thing. One is, as you found, a legal flag pole. The other is an illegal sewage dump.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #137
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I believe in being honest and giving people a chance to do the right thing before going straight to bylaw. Yeah, it might be a bit awkward, but maybe they genuinely need help due to injury.

Or they're not an a-hole, they just have been a bit lax. And if they are an a-hole, sure, that's what bylaw is for. But if you go that route, at least have the gumption to admit it.

Different strokes I guess.
But they had the chance to do the right thing. With each pile of #### they left for OP to stare at, they had the chance to pick it up. Days went by. Weeks went by. They had the chance to pick it up for months now. Everyone with at least two brain cells know you have to pick up dog ####. It doesn't go away. Sounds like he gave them months to do the right thing, so now it's time to escalate.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #138
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure it's the same thing. One is, as you found, a legal flag pole. The other is an illegal sewage dump.
There is nothing illegal about a dog pooping on your own property. And in situations like this and flagpoles.... what may be an infuriating act of misjustice, might be very well a total non-issue to others. When does the illegal part kick in? 8 turds? 30 turds? 120 turds? It is completely subjective.

As a dog owner, I tend to pick up after our dogs every few days. But when it's colder than the surface of Mars out... I'm sorry, the frozen turds can wait a week if required.

And the point of my post from the beginning, was think hard about how you handle the confrontation. I still believe the flag sucks, but it didn't suck so bad, I had to spend the better part of a year side eyeing my neighbor, and contemplating security cameras in case our property was vandalized. And that was on me, for handling it poorly.

Last edited by pylon; 03-02-2021 at 03:47 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #139
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
There is nothing illegal about a dog pooping on your own property. And in situations like this and flagpoles.... what may be an infuriating act of misjustice, might be very well a total non-issue to others. When does the illegal part kick in? 8 turds? 30 turds? 120 turds? It is completely subjective.

As a dog owner, I tend to pick up after our dogs every few days. But when it's colder than the surface of Mars out... I'm sorry, the frozen turds can wait a week if required.

And the point of my post from the beginning, was think hard about how you handle the confrontation. I still believe the flag sucks, but it didn't suck so bad, I had to spend the better part of a year side eyeing my neighbor, and contemplating security cameras in case our property was vandalized. And that was on me, for handling it poorly.
Oh man....dont forget the size of the turds!!

I imagine there is a Government Agency that will send out a preposterously well-compensated turd analyst.

What if you have a ####zu? Or that enormous Giant Malamute?

That crap (literally) would have to be based on weight!

Old 03-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose I should have expected that to be censored

Whatever....small dog.