Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #10861
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Guessing you didn't click on the spoiler tags by FanIn80...

Oh wait, is Vernon a jerk?
Yeah, Vernon was not a very nice guy during his first go round with the Flames. His reputation of being a dick was well earned. He grew up a lot while he was gone and became a much better person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #10862
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
????? It’s why wrote Vernon.

Maybe I missed a joke.
Is Mike Vernon a jerk? That's disappointing. I know my dad wasn't a huge fan after seeing Vernon stumble out of a bar very drunk the night before a big playoff game.

I thought you were just making the same point that FanIn80 did.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #10863
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Class and respect? Ever met Vernon?
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #10864
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

A friend of mine worked the door at a bar. Vernon was reportedly always stirring up #### and his teammates had to have his back
Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #10865
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Is Mike Vernon a jerk? That's disappointing. I know my dad wasn't a huge fan after seeing Vernon stumble out of a bar very drunk the night before a big playoff game.

I thought you were just making the same point that FanIn80 did.
I was just making an off the cuff comment based on a ton of anecdotes from other, older, Calgarians.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #10866
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
A friend of mine worked the door at a bar. Vernon was reportedly always stirring up #### and his teammates had to have his back
And don't forget that mountain of a body guard he had with him when he went out. Always in the background but quick to step in when Vernon's mouth started to run.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #10867
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Versteeg says they didn't hire Sutter to rebuild.... fair enough. Makes sense after spending on a top tier goalie.

They're a cap team that's 5th from the bottom, and no one is paying a premium for anything that might (should) be available from the Flames.

BT doubles down on the win now moves and his team follows up with a complete stinker of a season.

Does BT seriously believe he has the assets to significantly improve this roster? If he does, and makes it work, and the team turns around and starts winning playoff rounds.... Then BT truly is a wizard.
Yeah, it sucks for Sutter, but I don't think anyone is stopping this train wreck. It's on rails at this point. The best case scenario is that they "hang in there" as a bubble team by mortgaging the future more, but Sutter didn't sign on to do that either. No matter what, Sutter is going to be disappointed I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1379860194138669063

I see Wheeler is out indefinitely as well. The trade market might be heating up sooner than later.
The Flames should just load up the Jets and Leafs to make it harder for the Oilers. We need to sacrifice ourselves for the greater good.

Not that it would be optimal so either of those teams win, but anything is better than the Oilers.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #10868
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Sure there were a lot of rumours about the guy back in the day, but that's kinda the point of why hometown players aren't always a good idea. Everybody knows someone who knows somebody... and before you know it, the guy bobbles a rebound before smothering it and then gets a beer can in the side of the helmet and boo'd until the next faceoff.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #10869
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope Tre ships out everyone possible and goes full tank. Finishing 29th isn't out of the question at this stage. However we are talking about the Flames and they probably can't even tank properly and go out and win 85% of the remaining games and draft 13th OA.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #10870
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Vernon lived next door to my uncle in the 1980s. He said he was the worst neighbour he ever had, and he openly considered selling his river-front home that he had lived in for over 30 years because he was such a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #10871
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

From the meathead in Edmonton

Quote:
This in from Doug MacLean, former NHL GM, talking to CHED radio host Reid Wilkins, passing on some speculative trade scuttlebutt about possible Edmonton Oilers interest in Taylor Hall: “I also heard yesterday they’re in on the guy from Buffalo that everybody wants: Taylor Hall. I’m thinking: How is that going to work. How could Taylor Hall go there on a deal? The guy told me they’re looking at a deal that would have them both done for less than $12 million for both of them (Hall and RNH), and it would work next year…It was a reasonable source that said it.”
https://twitter.com/dstaples/status/1379814819881054217
Old 04-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #10872
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Great, the last thing the Oilers needs is a guaranteed 2022 1st overall pick.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #10873
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

^
Wow. That is ridiculous.

There hasn't been a good reason to take MacLean seriouslyabout anything for a number of years now, has there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 04-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #10874
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Sure there were a lot of rumours about the guy back in the day, but that's kinda the point of why hometown players aren't always a good idea. Everybody knows someone who knows somebody... and before you know it, the guy bobbles a rebound before smothering it and then gets a beer can in the side of the helmet and boo'd until the next faceoff.
Vernon's rep came while he was a player not from beforehand. So it didn't really matter that he was hometown.

Frankly, hometown players are a nice story, but they don't work out any more than otherwise. For every Lanny or Vernon, you have a Colborne, Setoguchi, Shinkaruk, Gagliardi, Raymond, etc.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #10875
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious where we draw the line as a forum on talking about these things? I got disparaged pretty mightily for sharing stories that I have heard/ events that I have witnessed in the same vein as those Vernon stories with current players... In short it doesn't take someone born local to treat the city like their personal playground.

I am all aboard the idea of stacking up Toronto + Winnipeg + Montreal to ensure the oilers have a harder time. We're not competing with any of them so why not.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #10876
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Just curious where we draw the line as a forum on talking about these things? I got disparaged pretty mightily for sharing stories that I have heard/ events that I have witnessed in the same vein as those Vernon stories with current players... In short it doesn't take someone born local to treat the city like their personal playground.

I am all aboard the idea of stacking up Toronto + Winnipeg + Montreal to ensure the oilers have a harder time. We're not competing with any of them so why not.
I think a lot of the forbidden stuff is (a) unreported (b) second hand and (c) has to do with stuff that's potentially libelous (eg drug use by certain players).

Saying "Vernon was my neighbor and was a dick" is personal experience, just an opinion and doesn't involve criminal activity.

Also, I have some pretty well sourced inside info about players which I cannot share because I doubt the source would appreciate it. But I'm happy to talk about when I was driven around by Murray Edwards and overheard his phone call to the GM, or when Ken King slapped my shoulder without warning and I jumped out of my skin. Or last year when I saw Talbot golfing so soon after the POs it was kinda funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #10877
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Hockey to me is very plug and play, I’ve seen Gaudreau play with a Nathan Mackinnon in the World
Cup and absolutely dominate. Thought he was the best player on that team that included McDavid and Matthews. Probably not anymore that they’ve hit new levels, but I don’t think Gaudreau is that far off though.

To me, stats don’t tell me the whole story about Monahan because I believe he’s the beneficiary of that duo. Sort of like how Ryan Strome is benefiting greatly in NY. Is Ryan Strome a near ppg game player, no, but he’s playing with some great players and it’s inflating his stats. Throughout the years, I’ve paid very special attention to both players when they’re not playing together and I have found that Monahan is not nearly the same player without him whereas Gaudreau has still been very productive whether he’s playing with a Derek Ryan or a Mark Jankowski or whoever.

It’s a theory I’ve held since that line’s inception in 2014 and over the years it’s only become more solidified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A pre-season best on best tournament 5 years ago.

4 pts in 3 Pre-tourney games agains Europe(x2) and the Czechs. Chara was the only bruiser on Europe; there were a few stout guys on CZE but I doubt those games were particularly physical.

4pts in 3 games in the tourney. RUS, SWE, FIN. Again, a handful of guys known to be physical, but these teams were generally small and fast.

I don't recall exactly, but I suspect physicality was closer to an all-start game than an NHL game, which isn't to say that the games weren't hard fought.

Gostibehere posted 4pts in the tournament games, too. Is he still the elite offensive D-man he once seemed?
Old 04-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #10878
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

4 pts in 3 Pre-tourney games agains Europe(x2) and the Czechs. Chara was the only bruiser on Europe; there were a few stout guys on CZE but I doubt those games were particularly physical.

4pts in 3 games in the tourney. RUS, SWE, FIN. Again, a handful of guys known to be physical, but these teams were generally small and fast.

I don't recall exactly, but I suspect physicality was closer to an all-start game than an NHL game, which isn't to say that the games weren't hard fought.

Gostibehere posted 4pts in the tournament games, too. Is he still the elite offensive D-man he once seemed?
Why bother, the post you quoted essentially laid out that he has a confirmation bias that he has repeatedly set out to ensure is proven. There is literally nothing that you could say to change his opinion that Monahan is entirely a product of Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #10879
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think a lot of the forbidden stuff is (a) unreported (b) second hand and (c) has to do with stuff that's potentially libelous (eg drug use by certain players).

Saying "Vernon was my neighbor and was a dick" is personal experience, just an opinion and doesn't involve criminal activity.

Also, I have some pretty well sourced inside info about players which I cannot share because I doubt the source would appreciate it. But I'm happy to talk about when I was driven around by Murray Edwards and overheard his phone call to the GM, or when Ken King slapped my shoulder without warning and I jumped out of my skin. Or last year when I saw Talbot golfing so soon after the POs it was kinda funny.
What did Edwards say to the GM?
Old 04-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #10880
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Really, points? I mean, if it's all about points, I guess Ghost is better than McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, Eichel and etc. I'm talking about entire games, every shift. He was sensational in that tournament and outplayed all the other forwards in my opinion, including his linemate Nathan Mackinnon and RNH.

Physicality was not prevalent in that series, but we're still talking about best on best here. I know everyone likes to point out out that he can't take a hit and can't play playoff hockey and etc. But I'm pretty sure Gaudreau won the Final Four tournament and Gold at the WJHC. He can play in big games, but what he needs is a good breakout so he can make plays on the rush and how can he achieve this? By playing with a center that can break through a trap, push the puck up ice and dish it off to Gaudreau or to the RW with time and space.

I've said it a lot and I'm going to keep saying it, Gaudreau would be alot better if he played off the puck more because he has a great first step, exceptional instincts and the ability to cut/turn on a dime.
Closed Thread