Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #1581
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...that was an entertaining bit of bus joy riding!

Everton did well considering they played most of the second half and ET without Calvert-Lewin.

And by Mourinho's own standards he'll have considered that performance nothing short of disgraceful

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #1582
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
So Bale didn't feel right after training yesterday, not physical mourinho said, and hes working with the sports science team.

Seems it's a mental thing for him, which I hope he can figure out. Hes just seemed so tentative this year, confidence low after the last few years at madrid, plays a bit like hes afraid if he goes all out he will get hurt.
It's hard to know given that it's him and Mourinho.

Quote:
While the reason for Bale's exclusion is unknown at this stage, it comes less than 24 hours after he posted a message on Instagram saying "good session today," after Spurs' final full training session before the game.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...t-out-19813458

The "unhappy feelings" that Mourinho is talking about could simply be him being pissed at lack of playing time or something like that.

Besides, wouldn't it have been easier to just say he picked up a small knock or tweak and avoid the drama?

Old 02-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #1583
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t have a chance to watch the game until later last night. Pretty disappointing, to say the least. It’s not often that we’ll score 4 and lose, but we managed to make that happen!

I can’t say the ref cost us the game, but there’s no way that should have been a penalty. It’s not a foul, and neither player even knew the other was there. Yet later in the second half, an Everton player takes down Lamela in the box and there’s nothing. How does one get called and not the other? It’s not so much the terrible call in the first place, but the complete lack of consistency.

Anyway, no trophy there for Spurs, so hopefully we come through in the League Cup.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #1584
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can’t say the ref cost us the game, but there’s no way that should have been a penalty. It’s not a foul, and neither player even knew the other was there.
Oh ffs! Just stop!

Every game there is some story of injustice in your head. Who cares if it's accidental or not? The majority of fouls are unintentional. Fact of the matter is Hojberg clipped him and it was an easy to give penalty.

Hojberg didn't protest. None of the other Spurs players protested. Jose didn't protest it or mention it after the game. None of the match report make mention that it shouldn't have been given.

It's only in your head that there's no way that shouldn't have been a penalty.

Because he didn't see him it can't be a foul? That's a new one. What's next? It was clumsy and he didn't mean it?

Last edited by Bagor; 02-11-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #1585
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Oh ffs! Just stop!

Every game there is some story of injustice in your head. Who cares if it's accidental or not? The majority of fouls are unintentional. Fact of the matter is Hojberg clipped him and it was an easy to give penalty.

Hojberg didn't protest. None of the other Spurs players protested. Jose didn't protest it or mention it after the game. None of the match report make mention that it shouldn't have been given.

It's only in your head that there's no way that shouldn't have been a penalty.

Because he didn't see him it can't be a foul? That's a new one. What's next? It was clumsy and he didn't mean it?
Yeah, I mean the refs are infallible, so why even discuss these things?

Fact is, that isn't a foul anywhere on the pitch, let alone a penalty. Of course you disagree, because it's Spurs. I couldn't possibly care less. Like I said, it's the inconsistency that is frustrating. That's a penalty, but when the same thing (although Lamela actually had the ball), took place in the second half there's no call.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #1586
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d be angry at that pen decision too. Diving is only going to worse with calls like these, all you have to do to get a pen is find an opponent looking the other way and trip over his feet.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #1587
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I’d be angry at that pen decision too. Diving is only going to worse with calls like these, all you have to do to get a pen is find an opponent looking the other way and trip over his feet.

How about the Bednarek collision, and resulting United penalty?
(Disregarding harsh red, and diving)

I feel both players while trying to avoid the opponent, cost a goal scoring opp.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 02-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #1588
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
How about the Bednarek collision, and resulting United penalty?
(Disregarding harsh red, and diving)

I feel both players while trying to avoid the opponent, cost a goal scoring opp.
I didn’t see any contact at all on that one, but I only just saw it once and didn’t really look closely. My initial reaction would be that there isn’t anything there to make it a foul.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #1589
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I mean the refs are infallible, so why even discuss these things?

Fact is, that isn't a foul anywhere on the pitch, let alone a penalty. Of course you disagree, because it's Spurs. I couldn't possibly care less. Like I said, it's the inconsistency that is frustrating. That's a penalty, but when the same thing (although Lamela actually had the ball), took place in the second half there's no call.
No. It has nothing to do with Spurs. I disagree because you're clearly and obviously wrong. It's you and your every game conspiracy hard luck story.

It's as clear as day a foul. It's as clear as day a penalty. When you clip a player accidentally or not running at full speed they're going down with momentum. Hojberg's reaction tells you all you want to know. He knew he'd fouled him. His team mates knew he'd fouled him. The ref was perfectly positioned and with no hesitation knew he'd fouled him. The only person that thinks he didn't foul him is you.

And the poster that thinks going down when clipped whilst running at full speed towards the ball is going to worsen diving. Just

Why don't you enlighten us all why clipping a player who's running towards the ball is not a foul? Anywhere on the pitch? Fact is if you think that you've got a unique interpretation of the rules.

Last edited by Bagor; 02-11-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #1590
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue here is that while a lot of people can leave room for nuance, you're a black and white person with no grey area. We see this with the offsides and how ridiculous I think that is, whereas you have no issue with goals being called back because a player is judged offside by a shoelace.

This is the same discussion, applied to this incident. It's a sport where there's contact all the time, and not every bit of contact is a foul. These two guys ran near each other and their feet hit. So sure...I guess there's contact and it's in the box. For you, that's enough. For me, it's still a ridiculous call, but increasingly I'd love to see United get one like that this weekend.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #1591
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Answer the question. Explain to us how in your mind a player being clipped by another whilst running full speed towards the ball is NOT a foul?

This is not about me. This is about you. You're one of the few people on this planet that thinks that wasn't a penalty and not only that clipping someone from behind isn't even a foul! You're the one disagreeing with the majority.

Why do you think Hojberg didn't protest? Why didn't any of the Spurs players protest? Why didn't Jose kick up a stink about it? Why did the papers and pundits fail to discuss this travesty?

Answer the question.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #1592
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Answer the question. Explain to us how in your mind a player being clipped by another whilst running full speed towards the ball is NOT a foul?

This is not about me. This is about you. You're one of the few people on this planet that thinks that wasn't a penalty and not only that clipping someone from behind isn't even a foul! You're the one disagreeing with the majority.

Why do you think Hojberg didn't protest? Why didn't any of the Spurs players protest? Why didn't Jose kick up a stink about it? Why did the papers and pundits fail to discuss this travesty?

Answer the question.
I don't even think it needs explaining. Did you watch the game and see the incident? I mean the announcers were saying basically the same thing. You have to understand my argument here, even if you don't agree with it. surely you've seen enough of the sport through the years to know that just because players come together doesn't mean it's a foul.

And what's the point of Jose talking about it? We gave up 4 other goals, lol. It's not like that was the extra-time winner.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #1593
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. I watched the second half. Yes. I saw the incident.

Yes, you do need to explain yourself why you think one player running towards the ball at full speed being clipped and tripped by an opponent is not a foul.

Answer the question.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #1594
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spurs v Everton.

Disappointing loss, but a wild ride for sure.

That penalty was a tough take. I haven't seen a replay that truly shows why it was a penalty.

In any event, Spurs lost on their mistakes which were plenty
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #1595
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. I watched the second half. Yes. I saw the incident.

Yes, you do need to explain yourself why you think one player running towards the ball at full speed being clipped and tripped by an opponent is not a foul.

Answer the question.
I'm just going to call it day with this discussion. I'm sure that all of the others who are interested in the PL and surrounding games don't care whether you or I think that this should have been a penalty.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #1596
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just going to call it day with this discussion. I'm sure that all of the others who are interested in the PL and surrounding games don't care whether you or I think that this should have been a penalty.
Well you're the one that is so certain that no way is that a penalty. I'm genuinely interested in why you feel that when an individual is running towards a ball and he is clipped and tripped by an opponent that is not a foul.

I mean you state it so definitely that that's not a foul anywhere in the pitch.

Why is it not a foul? Accidental or not is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunreader View Post
That penalty was a tough take. I haven't seen a replay that truly shows why it was a penalty.
Youtube.com but methinks that won't help you.
I mean The Spurs got jobbed...right?

Last edited by Bagor; 02-11-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #1597
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well you're the one that is so certain that no way is that a penalty. I'm genuinely interested in why you feel that when an individual is running towards a ball and he is clipped and tripped by an opponent that is not a foul.

I mean you state it so definitely that that's not a foul anywhere in the pitch.

Why is it not a foul? Accidental or not is irrelevant.

Youtube.com but methinks that won't help you.
I mean The Spurs got jobbed...right?

Honestly I have watched it over and and I don't see nearly enough contact to warrant that being a penalty, I don't see a clip at all and the forward pulled off a hell of a dive IMO.

He was never going to be first to that ball anyways, and strategically took a flop and it worked out for him. He's turning and looking back to the ref before he's even fully on the ground.

Either way the penalty is inconsequential to the overall outcome of the game. Spurs played horrible for that 7 minute stretch before the break where they conceded three, and even then were able to claw back to get the game in to ET.

At that point it's a new game and they have nobody but themselves to blame for losing in Extra Time.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #1598
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly I have watched it over and and I don't see nearly enough contact to warrant that being a penalty, I don't see a clip at all and the forward pulled off a hell of a dive IMO.

He was never going to be first to that ball anyways, and strategically took a flop and it worked out for him. He's turning and looking back to the ref before he's even fully on the ground.
Irregardless whether or not he was going to be first to the ball. The simple fact is he was running to the ball and was clipped/tripped. That's a foul any day of the week any part of the pitch.

There's no flop there at all. That's someone going down at full speed after being clipped. Looking back at the referee once he hit's the deck.

Anyways, sometimes you just need to look at the players and their reactions to get a sense of whether it was fair or not. Hojberg puts his arms up, looks back, sees the ref pointing to the spot and has that air of I effed up resignation. Same as the rest of them, they ALL know it's a legit penalty.

Anyways, de Gea has been taking a bit of heat (rightly so) recently but Lloris has to bear a significant brunt of the blame for that loss.

But the story of the night was Jose hanging Bale out to dry last night. That's the story to watch in the coming days.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #1599
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was incidental contact, neither of them were looking at each other if I remember right, their legs just got entangled

But in the box that's always being called a pen
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #1600
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to the Klopp postgame after that sequence gives Leicester the lead. Another disaster from Alisson lol.