Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #3741
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Switch is pacing to be the best selling video game platform ever. Beating overall PS4 sales isn’t even a question at this point, it’s looking more at PS2 numbers.
If you are adding multiple systems together it might pass PS4. If you only count home consoles can be hooked to tv it won't. The standard Switch won't have the longevity of the PS4.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-18-2021 at 11:18 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #3742
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If you are adding multiple systems together it might pass PS4. If you only count home consoles can be hooked to tv it won't. The standard Switch won't have the longevity of the PS4.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1356160519095394304?s=21

13.5 million are Switch Lite, so even just the standard Switch alone is pacing to be very close if not beat the PS4, if you insist on moving the goalposts (I did say best selling video game platform though, not best selling platform that connects to a TV)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #3743
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do console sales matter so much to some of you? I have never linked my enjoyment of playing games to the amount of hardware sold. My interest (none) in the Switch would be no different if they sold a million or if they sold a hundred million.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #3744
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1356160519095394304?s=21

13.5 million are Switch Lite, so even just the standard Switch alone is pacing to be very close if not beat the PS4, if you insist on moving the goalposts (I did say best selling video game platform though, not best selling platform that connects to a TV)
Well a portable and home console are different IMO. The normal Switch isn't going to have the staying power of the PS4 they already have a new model coming. I mean if they name 5 consoles Switch I guess it might sell more in the end but then why aren't we combining every PlayStation and Xbox console ever?

Anyway I thought this was the Thunderdome...probably the wrong place for this talk
Old 03-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #3745
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well a portable and home console are different IMO.
Since the Switch Lite can play the exact same games as the Switch, I don't think there's an issue grouping them together for sales.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:37 PM   #3746
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Why are you guys discussing consoles in this thread? Normally I wouldn’t care but some of you complained about PC hardware talk so I’m calling you out.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #3747
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #3748
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Neat!
Old 03-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #3749
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was most of the way through Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 80% complete or so I think, then my daughter somehow erased my save and I didn't catch it before the PS4 cloud data was overwritten (they really need to let you make cloud backups somehow). Can't bring myself to replay the whole damn thing again, guess I'll just watch the final cinematics on youtube
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #3750
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean there's a convenience to console gaming that I appreciate. I think I would play Horizon ZD now on PC just for the better visuals but otherwise, games like that I would prefer to play on a TV.
I'm catching up on Horizon right now. It's glorious on a 3080 and a monitor so large it is a TV.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:39 AM   #3751
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm catching up on Horizon right now. It's glorious on a 3080 and a monitor so large it is a TV.
I have my computer close to my TV so I never run into the "I'd rather play it on a big TV" issue. Though now that I have a 144hz monitor and only a 60hz TV that I won't be upgrading atleast until the fall I play more on that unless it's a game that's locked at 60 fps.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #3752
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I have my computer close to my TV so I never run into the "I'd rather play it on a big TV" issue. Though now that I have a 144hz monitor and only a 60hz TV that I won't be upgrading atleast until the fall I play more on that unless it's a game that's locked at 60 fps.
Not to double up on the PC thread but with the CX 48 (120hz 4k hdmi 2.1, gsync, oled and HDR) my 27" 165 hz monitor is on backup duty for the old computer now.

Basically hits every single feature you can want for you eyes. Only bad would the cost and MAYBE if you have an inflexible setup that the 48 form factor doesn't work for you.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #3753
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not to double up on the PC thread but with the CX 48 (120hz 4k hdmi 2.1, gsync, oled and HDR) my 27" 165 hz monitor is on backup duty for the old computer now.

Basically hits every single feature you can want for you eyes. Only bad would the cost and MAYBE if you have an inflexible setup that the 48 form factor doesn't work for you.

Right now the 55" is on sale for as much as $200 less than the 48". If I got one I'd hang it on the wall so desk space isn't an issue. You gotta quit posting about using these TVs as monitors because I really shouldn't be buying one.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #3754
photon

Exp:

I've got a corner desk so that makes these more difficult to use, I'd have to get a new desk or at least totally rearrange things.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #3755
photon

Exp:

Fenyx: Immortal Rising is pretty fun though it's getting repetitive faster than AC games.

Though it has one feature that's VERY nice. There's areas for a minor deity that is just a bunch of buildings and gardens, and each will have a bunch of activities that are similar.

One is to gather a bunch of orbs from the area and put them in a specific pattern. Another is to rearrange tiles of a puzzle. Both were kind of entertaining the first few times but I was going to start skipping them when I found out there's an item in the menu where it'll help you. It'll put the orb locations on your HUD in 3D or tell you the moves to the tiles to make the puzzle very easy.

Which is nice because I can still get the rewards to improve my character but I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to hunt things down.

Very thoughtful.

And yeah it's mostly BotW meets AC.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #3756
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Right now the 55" is on sale for as much as $200 less than the 48". If I got one I'd hang it on the wall so desk space isn't an issue. You gotta quit posting about using these TVs as monitors because I really shouldn't be buying one.
Yeah, I think the higher price is somewhat dictates by the configuration and number of pieces that they can cut out of the mother glass. It does seem a little counter intuitive but it was an ultimate center piece that I figure I won't be replacing in partial steps for a long long time.

I thought there might be some rumors about them doing a 40" oled at some point. Not sure if that can true or not.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #3757
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are you guys discussing consoles in this thread? Normally I wouldn’t care but some of you complained about PC hardware talk so I’m calling you out.
Quote:
Lol I’m glad talking about video game consoles got policed so we could move on to... computer monitors...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 12:11 AM   #3758
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Lol I’m glad talking about video game consoles got policed so we could move on to... computer monitors...
TVs actually. And they can be used with consoles too.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #3759
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another tip for Assassin's Creed Valhalla, stemming from the latest update this week: Close Camera. Makes the immersion so much better, and it'll automatically zoom out a little when engaged in combat.

To enable, go to Options -> Gameplay -> Close Camera. Toggle to On.

I wish they could go back and include this in AC Odyssey as well. Loved that game, but my main gripe was the classic RPG style wide frame. It hurt the immersion, which is important when you're dealing with historical recreations of ancient cities.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #3760
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Anyone playing Hitman 3? Anything new with it or does it continue the Hitman trend of every new game being a half dozen DLC levels?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote