Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Dustin Duthie pleads guilty to triple murder, sentecing descision reserved

Sorry I'm posting this here, it has a emotional connection. Al Pennylegion was a friend, a fellow Bantam football coach, and a really good guy, he and his wife and this persons girlfriend didn't deserve this.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7720908/c...0GlobalCalgary

Quote:
A Calgary judge has reserved their decision in the sentencing of triple-murderer Dustin Duthie — who admitted to killing his girlfriend, mother and stepfather in 2018 — following a day of emotional victim impact statements during a sentencing hearing.
Earlier this month, Duthie, 27, pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder in the death of his step-father Alan Pennylegion and two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of his girlfriend Taylor Toller and mother Shawn Boshuck.

I was glad that he was fit to stand trial, I'm happy he plead guilty. It doesn't spare the families of the victims any pain, but at least they won't have to relive it through the trial.

I hope he gets life and doesn't leave prison alive.

RIP Al

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever the sentence I hope you find, or have found peace with the loss of your friend. Sorry for your loss.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly that was a year from hell for me, I had so many things happen that I was completely angry all the time, and honestly there were times when I was looking for an exit. I think I talked about that year here, because for the most part CalgaryPuck can be a great sounding board, and I got some great advice from people that probably in a sense did save my life (I dealt with losing my job for 7 years, Al passing, and the suicide of a close family members, all like bang bang bang). So to an extent, I've felt a bit of gratitude to this community. I can also say, that I'm glad that I'm still here (life, earth)

Part of me had tried to put Al out of my mind, he was gone. I know its unfair, and it sounds callous.

I will say that the amazing thing was that there was a really large celebration service, gathering for Al, I was happy to see hundreds of people show up for a celebration of his life. A lot of the players that he coached showed up. Pretty much the entire football coaching community was there. I got to reconnect with a lot of people that I hadn't talked to in a while. It was so nice to see.

But when this news came out, I was really upset and angry for most of the day, I had literally zero focus. I didn't know the other two victims that well. I had met his wife and chatted with her at football games on Saturday, because I always spent the day at Shouldice, whether I was coaching a game or not. I'd always sit with Al and his wife for a while. We'd chat football, enjoy the games talk about the players, and just genuinely have a nice time. When I was coaching with Cowboys Grey, He was on the staff of the Cowboys Navy as the Receivers coach, so we coached together during combined practices except for Rivalry week when Grey would Play Navy, and me and Al and the other coaches would play up the rivalry, it was fun for the coaches.

Have I found some level of peace, not really, but I think by now the one thing I know, is I'm not an at peace kind of guy. But I'm happy that the families that were affected by this will at least get some sense of closure once the sentencing is complete and they won't have to sit through a trial.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rder-1.5979313

Life in prison, his parole eligibility moved from 25 to 35 years. At least the family didn't have to sit through a trial. Or have to worry about Parole for a long time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: