Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #3361
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, just finished ceramic coating my car with the cquartz uk stuff zamler recommended. Took about five hours including prep. Wow, that's a big undertaking. Whatever they charge at a shop for that is not enough. I don't know if I'd do it again.

Just washing the car at a wand wash was $28 because I did such a thorough job. I have an attachment for my drill I use along with wheel cleaner, but I did that at the car wash so probably wasted like $5 using that and no car wash resources. It was important to get the wheels perfect, though, because I did ceramic coat them, too.

In my garage I clay barred, then polished by hand (chickened out on using my power polisher), then did the ceramic coat. Last thing was some final spray and buff to seal in the ceramic coat or something? Not exactly sure what that was but in the ceramic coat kit it said to use it so I did.

Gotta say, this better be worth it because it's way more work than my typical annual wax. I took a before and after shot in my garage and they look virtually the same, probably owing to the really good wash I gave it before starting. I guess the real benefit is in staying cleaner longer between washes. Once the coating cures, I'll take it outside and hopefully get some better pics that will show off the work that went into it.

I also picked up some tire shine gel and application sponge from carzilla. That stuff is way better than anything else I've ever had. Also did my glass with RainX. Summer floor mats are back in, too.

If it snows again, you guys know who to blame.

Thanks for the tips.
Getting some beautiful beading on my car today and I have noticed during the past couple of rains that my car does stay ridiculously clean since applying the ceramic coat.

Just bought another kit to do my wife's car, so I guess enough time has passed since doing mine that I've forgotten just how hellish it was to do. Plus, she'll help me with this one, so it should cut my time in half. She's a good little helper.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #3362
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone tried using The Car Room at Detailz? It's in the Manchester Industrial area, but they let you pay per-hour to wash and detail your own car, use their equipment, etc.

The biggest nuisance for me is that I wash my car, do a full chamois and glass clean outside in the parking lot, but then I have to drive it home to do the proper detailing work and it gets road grime and dust on it so I don't want to go putting a ceramic coat over a now-imperfect paint surface. You pretty much need to be able to wash, dry, and detail without moving the car to do a ceramic coating job justice, so I'm thinking of giving them a try.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #3363
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Has anyone tried using The Car Room at Detailz? It's in the Manchester Industrial area, but they let you pay per-hour to wash and detail your own car, use their equipment, etc.

The biggest nuisance for me is that I wash my car, do a full chamois and glass clean outside in the parking lot, but then I have to drive it home to do the proper detailing work and it gets road grime and dust on it so I don't want to go putting a ceramic coat over a now-imperfect paint surface. You pretty much need to be able to wash, dry, and detail without moving the car to do a ceramic coating job justice, so I'm thinking of giving them a try.
A quick detailing spray or even a quick rinse-less wash at home before doing the detail and coating should be good. I use Optimum No Rinse to give my car's a quick wash in the garage.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #3364
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, don't want to start a new thread, but calgarygeologist's post reminded me...

I have a new baby with a stealth Xpel wrap, and a ceramic coating over it, so I would like to know some product suggestions that would be best for protecting and caring for it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #3365
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Okay, don't want to start a new thread, but calgarygeologist's post reminded me...

I have a new baby with a stealth Xpel wrap, and a ceramic coating over it, so I would like to know some product suggestions that would be best for protecting and caring for it.

I like CarPro Reload but pretty well any quality SiO2 topper will do as they are all as easy as lightly spray on and wipe off. Just ensure your car is properly washed and use the two rag method of initial wipe with a one rag and dry rag to go over and ensure there are no streaks. Should take 1-2 hours or less on a medium sized vehicle.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #3366
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already have the ceramic coating, just looking for good cleansing/care products
Old 06-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #3367
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already have the ceramic coating, just looking for good cleansing/care products
It's a topper not a ceramic coating. Just a spray on detailer essentially that will be a sacrificial layer for stuff like water spots or bird crap. Lots of good soaps for washing ceramic coated cars. I use Chemical Guys Mr. Pink with a two bucket system.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #3368
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Did you ever end up posting any photos of the new E tron?
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #3369
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Did you ever end up posting any photos of the new E tron?
I get it back tomorrow, and I will
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #3370
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You stealth wrapped an e-tron GT?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #3371
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You stealth wrapped an e-tron GT?
sorry
Old 06-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #3372
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I get it back tomorrow, and I will
Ahem.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #3373
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Ahem.
Ultimate took some pictures, which will be way better than anything I could do, so I am waiting for them.

For anyone needing PPF or a wrap, BTW, Ultimate is fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #3374
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody know of a car wash in the south end of town with an upholstery cleaner? I need to clean some cloth seats.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #3375
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody know of a car wash in the south end of town with an upholstery cleaner? I need to clean some cloth seats.
It had been forever since I was down that way, so it was news to me, but what is the new, GIANT car wash on Macleod and 99th?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #3376
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone know of a dealership that isn't currently gouging customers with extra fees and will actually sell for cash at MSRP? So tired of getting the run around the prices going up by like 5000+ for fake dealer add on stuff or "Alberta advantage" package. Bait and switch on the websites is pissing me off too. For reference I'm looking for a small SUV, Mazda CX-30 GT Turbo, Hyundai Kona N Line, VW TAOS, Chev Trailblazer. Something along those lines.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:20 PM   #3377
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

With supplies as tight as they are all dealerships are gouging customers with extra fees, and nobody will actually sell at MSRP. Especially in a cash transaction.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #3378
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
With supplies as tight as they are all dealerships are gouging customers with extra fees, and nobody will actually sell at MSRP. Especially in a cash transaction.
Guess I might have to factory order then wait awhile then. Not ideal but it what it is.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #3379
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Complain to the manufacturer, most of them have agreements with their dealer networks not to charge more than sticker. Ford is now hammering dealers in the states for marking up the lightning pick ups.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #3380
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This was 10 years ago, but we had a good sales experience at Stoney Trail Mazda; have you tried them? Really disliked the other Mazda dealerships though, they all seemed really sleazy. The only other advice is maybe look at dealers out of town? When the Calgary Toyota dealers were giving me the run around I ended up calling the Lethbridge dealership and they were great to deal with. And I ended up buying a truck from the Ford in Cochrane because the sales manager was the easiest to work with.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote