Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #241
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nuggets have definitely earned the right to be considered the Warriors chief threat. And they look this good with no Isaiah Thomas yet, and with no Michael Porter this year. Jokic is maybe the MVP at this point in the year, probably the closest we'll see to prime Arvydas in the NBA.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #242
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uhhhh....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1092881615972380672
Old 02-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #243
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Does Lowry even have much value considering his injury issues?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #244
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm highly skeptical that this rumour is anything more than Memphis trying to up the trade value for legitimately interested teams.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #245
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps but if the additional price is a very low 1st, just because the raps are more desperate to upgrade, I do it. I’ve been saying it for years that Lowry cracks under pressure and that he’s wildly inconsistent. JVs alright but become redundant so I do the deal to change Lowry and bring a legit big. It’d be more or less even but if the raps are going all in and other teams are willing to offer more, throwing in this years first isn’t a big deal at all.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #246
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funniest part of this isn't LeBron on LeBron Island, but Rondo is sitting in the crowd. But while I don't think LeBron can ever catch MJ as the greatest, he's already without question the NBA's all-time drama queen. KD might have ruined the NBA, but he appears to be dead on when he said LeBron teams are toxic. Just makes you appreciate a guy like Tim Duncan who just won and shut the #### up.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1092977492649017345
Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #247
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2018-19 NBA and Raptors thread

Seems like the Raptors won’t be adding anyone , feels like a missed opportunity to go all in. Probably will look for buyout options. If they don’t fix their shooting they won’t be going far. I just don’t see how you look at the raptors roster, in their biggest season to date, and not make a trade for shooting. OG, Powell, Wright, and picks should be on the table and others depending on the player. No finals no Kawhi, it’s that simple.

With the 76ers adding Harris it feels like the raptors are being out maneuvered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 02-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #248
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I trust Masai absolutely. I'm also not a fan of going all in if that means being a bottom feeder for the next 5 years. It's nice to build something and win it - not completely mortgaging the future for a one time shot at a championship. It's not like the Leafs where there's a 50+ year drought. Masai, if he seen an opportunity to add some good player, but if it meant extreme risk of being a bad team next year and the following years, hopefully sits on the sidelines and accepts the teams' fate this year. Where there's smoke there's fire though, and I can't see this ending well for Lowry with the rumor out there. If he's been discussed heavily and they don't deal him, he'll sulk. If they do he'll sulk. That's my main concern right now - keeping him. Another side note - any chance Masai acquires VC? Seems like he'd be a good fit this year.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #249
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I trust Masai absolutely. I'm also not a fan of going all in if that means being a bottom feeder for the next 5 years. It's nice to build something and win it - not completely mortgaging the future for a one time shot at a championship. It's not like the Leafs where there's a 50+ year drought. Masai, if he seen an opportunity to add some good player, but if it meant extreme risk of being a bad team next year and the following years, hopefully sits on the sidelines and accepts the teams' fate this year. Where there's smoke there's fire though, and I can't see this ending well for Lowry with the rumor out there. If he's been discussed heavily and they don't deal him, he'll sulk. If they do he'll sulk. That's my main concern right now - keeping him. Another side note - any chance Masai acquires VC? Seems like he'd be a good fit this year.

The issue is you don’t want to become a tread mill team that is stuck in the middle. That’s probably the worst place to be in the NBA and there’s many of those teams. You have one year to convince Kawhi to stay and if he leaves Toronto wont get a player near his caliber for some time, unless they go full tank. The raptors have some nice parts but as far as the future goes their best U-25 player is Siakam and after him there isn’t any young player on the roster that screams all star potential.

Frankly, Masai already mortgaged the raptors future with trading derozan for a one year rental when they could’ve flipped Derozan for futures. He decided to go all in for this year by trading his best asset, if Kawhi leaves and they get bounced before the finals it’s an utter failure. Trying to flip it any other way is just being an optimist. This isn’t any other year for the raptors, this is their last chance to get to the finals if Kawhi leaves. No one will come to Toronto as a free agent, without Kawhi there’s nothing that separates Toronto from other teams. I’m sure Masai has a plan in place if Kawhi leaves, I’m just not sold on the potential of the raptors supporting cast.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-06-2019 at 08:02 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #250
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well any team is probably asking for OG or Siakam, and it's really hard to trade those guys if you wanna contend next year because we know they are good and they are cheap. Raps obviously don't have any room to spend past keeping Kawhi. I also think it's hard to look at any guys like Harris or Beal and not end up thinking Siakam is the best player being traded. I seriously doubt Masai is just standing still, the Gasol/Conley rumour tells you he's trying to make moves. But if the goal is the keep Kawhi long term and contend, you can't trade Siakam or OG and that doesn't leave you much that interests teams.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 AM   #251
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with what’s been said, about being in the middle of the pack. But seriously, if we wage everything here, do the raps have a chance greater than 10% of taking it? I don’t think so unless another all star like Davis is brought back the other way. So then in the off-season when you’re trying to look at signing Kawhi, he looks at the now decimated roster and realizes he has nothing to work with and definitely won’t sign (if he’s at all interested at the moment). I’m thinking aloud now but it’s definitely a tough decision. I can’t imagine corporate wants potentially four years of no gate revenue if there are no playoffs, so on that I can’t see the all in scenario today with dealing Siakem. OG, maybe, but I hope not for a rental.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #252
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

There really isn't anyone who would put them clearly over the top outside AD. Maybe Masai works some magic and can get that done, and in that situation you can give up anyone really. But Bradley Beal, assuming you give up Siakam to get him, is a net negative for the Raps. If you can get Beal for $.30 on the dollar sure, but Beal is only an upgrade for the right package. And the Wizards likely can get similar packages to what the Raps can offer from other contenders.

Siakam is a top quality asset, which is why he should be untouchable unless it's a clear and obvious upgrade. Outside AD, no one like that is really available.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #253
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mirotic to the Bucks. Raptors desperate for 3 pt shooters and they were reportedly interested in trading for him. Raptors are getting badly out maneuvered. Both the 76ers and the Bucks have gotten better. Amazing how the raptors never have any assets to trade at the deadline.

Like usual, the Raptors seem to be striking out on deadline day.

Last edited by Beninho; 02-07-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #254
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093583301720330240
Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #255
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

Wow, was not expecting this. Gasol is definitely a good add but he’s not the same player he was 2 years ago. Still a good add, will be interested to see what the raptors gave

Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #256
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

More buyout spots opened too. If they can get Wesley Matthews then Masai did very well here.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093584193811083265
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #257
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And uhhh obviously PR and Masai don't talk much lol.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093549087645974528
Old 02-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #258
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yeah let's be grateful the Sixers didn't draft Tatum instead of Fultz or the Raps wouldn't have a path to the Finals (although Simmons is a decent bench piece at least)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093596530911731712

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-07-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #259
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Well Gasol is at least something.
I actually really liked Valachuwinesauce but I guess he is seen has not having enough upside and injury prone.
Wright is a decent piece too and he has the athletic ability to succeed in the league.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #260
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Toronto Raptors are trading veteran center Greg Monroe and a second-round pick to the Brooklyn Nets, sources told The Athletic's Shams Charania.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1712861
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote