Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #101
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If by rumblings, you mean the soccer folks behind the operation telling me directly, yes I have heard rumblings. I know who the owner is, I know where they will play, I know how the PDL team fits into the grand scheme of things, and I met with people involved with the league to talk marketing back in January. Don't want to say anything in case things change between now and an official announcement. But all things mentioned in the previous post are still the case.
Any rumours about a Victoria or West Coast team? We have a PDL team already established here so that's what kind of caught my eye about this post.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #102
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Is Hellard Field on a "major atrey"?
Yes, but it's not Hellard Field. No way the minor football lets soccer move in, especially since they were the ones who raised the $10 million to get it built, and rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Any rumours about a Victoria or West Coast team? We have a PDL team already established here so that's what kind of caught my eye about this post.
Victoria does not seem to have the ownership group ready, although they have beefed up their PDL ownership group and corporate support, and may be one of the 20 markets in discussion with the league.

The original eight teams that have been floated for a while now, and are starting to get mainstream attention due to the CSA AGM coming up this weekend are as follows:
- Fraser Valley area (Surrey)
- Calgary
- Edmonton
- Winnipeg
- Hamilton
- Ottawa
- GTA (York)
- Halifax

I was expecting Saskatoon as well but it looks like they won't be a part of the original group of teams.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #103
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 new professional (likely CPL) clubs announced today. Calgary is included. Add them to the already announced Hamilton and Winnpeg, and the existing Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton, and there's the 8 founding CPL clubs. Port City is the Fraser Valley entity, who is currently rumoured to be Surrey or Langley.

Canada Soccer @CanadaSoccerEN
14m14 minutes ago

Four groups have been accepted for professional club membership at the 2018 AMM. They represent Halifax, NS, York Region, ON, Calgary, AB and Port City, BC. #CanPL

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/s...29820932272128

Last edited by shermanator; 05-05-2018 at 12:58 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #104
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is the Field at Currie Baracks still there or could they not use MRU and build bleachers? Both are great fields.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #105
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Is the Field at Currie Baracks still there or could they not use MRU and build bleachers? Both are great fields.

Currie Barracks? Not sure there’s ever been a field there, but there’s the Carrol fields adjacent but they’re nothing special.

My Royal field 1, oh what a delight that field is. Don’t know what sort of capacity they College is willing to offer, with both Cougars teams use.

I read in a development thread, there was a private soccer dome application for the SE corner of Westbrook Mall. THAT!, would be an awesome place for a new facility. ~10,000 seats, prime location with adjacent public transport.

One can dream...
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #106
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Currie Barracks? Not sure there’s ever been a field there, but there’s the Carrol fields adjacent but they’re nothing special.

My Royal field 1, oh what a delight that field is. Don’t know what sort of capacity they College is willing to offer, with both Cougars teams use.

I read in a development thread, there was a private soccer dome application for the SE corner of Westbrook Mall. THAT!, would be an awesome place for a new facility. ~10,000 seats, prime location with adjacent public transport.

One can dream...
due to NIMBYism that project was cancelled I believe

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #107
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Sun has picked up the stadium and ownership scoop. Note that the stadium will require no public dollars.

Quote:
A group from Calgary was approved for professional club membership by Soccer Canada on Saturday, paving the way for them to potentially join the Canadian Premier League. The league is set to debut as a professional men’s soccer league in the spring of 2019, and will serve as a Tier I league.

Allison said the stadium renovation would be financed by Spruce Meadows.

“The club will (be) commencing in 2019, be playing out of Spruce Meadows and will be owned by Spruce Meadows Sports and Entertainment,” Allison said. “We have existing facilities that will be modified, I would say. It would be renovations to bring a very unique and distinctive ambiance to the game.”
http://calgarysun.com/news/local-new...ows-next-year/

Last edited by shermanator; 05-06-2018 at 03:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #108
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Edit: fata

Last edited by CofR; 05-06-2018 at 03:29 PM.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #109
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spruce Meadows??

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #110
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Very excited by this, especially the Spruce Meadows location! (biased because I live near it - wouldn't be ideal for someone in the north)
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #111
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Spruce Meadows??

There's lots of space for the stadium and parking, Spruce Meadows already has groundskeeping experts, and it would provide a beautiful setting. Not to mention being fully privately funded.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #112
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
There's lots of space for the stadium and parking, Spruce Meadows already has groundskeeping experts, and it would provide a beautiful setting. Not to mention being fully privately funded.
Too far for me to drive and no transit link means I will never go. Fail if true

Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #113
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Presumably there would be shuttle buses from the end of the south LRT line.

Won't things smell a bit horsey down there?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #114
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There are a lot of reasons why the location makes sense, but given half the city is essentially cut off from easy access, that location is going to result in an uphill battle. That said, I doubt it is any worse than the McMahon area is.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #115
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s a good location. Transit gets you pretty close and they regularly run shuttles to Spruce Meadows through the year for all kinds of events. The parking is good there and it’s right off the ring road when that’s completed as well. Add to this that Spruce Meadows is already accustomed to hosting large crowds and running events and I think it’s a great choice. Far better than something like McMahon and it seems more upscale than I expected.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #116
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just found out that Spruce Meadows is not actually within city limits, so my apologies, I guess I've been lying all along.

I don't like the location myself, but it has it's pros and cons.

To focus on the pros, the fact that an owner is willing to build a stadium on land they own without the taxpaying public paying a dime is a huge win. Also, being a short drive from Somerset / Bridlewood station means opportunity for shuttle busses, which Spruce Meadows already does. Also being on the eventual SW ring road makes the commute from the NW easier when that happens. Has the potential for some nice views as well.

Finally, it cannot be overstated how much of a benefit the right-sized soccer specific stadium is to this club. It will be the key to this league in getting to sustainability. That, and a kick ass supporters group.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #117
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I like that it's privately funded and I do like the Spruce Meadows setting, but the location means it's basically prohibitive for alot of people. It will cost families a long commute and gas to see a game. For myself, it's unfortunately going to be prohibitive to be a season ticket holder simply because it's so far away (as much as I want to be).

I will still hold out hope for an inner city stadium or one that is actually in city limits on a major artery. But this is a good start regardless.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #118
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t mind the location, since it is right next door. I’m excited for Spring 2019. The support will have a boost being the year right after he World Cup, too
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #119
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly we need a north side team too. Then we can get a real derby going.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #120
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I echo a lot of the sentiments. I love that it isn’t McMahon and that it will be built with private dollars. Spruce Meadows is a great facility for a lot of different events, and I’m excited to see what they put together for a little stadium.

But that commute is going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. I’ll definitely be checking it out, hopefully frequently, but something north of Glenmore would have had me considering season tickets.

From my home in the NW, it’ll be pretty close to even if I calculate minutes in the car vs. minutes of soccer being played. The Ring Road should help eventually.

Despite that rather large negative, I’m still pretty excited. I am guessing that it’ll be a fairly TV-driven league, so even if I can’t get there for every match, it’ll still be possible to follow home and away matches.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: