Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #1161
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Is having a bottle of booze at work smart?

Prescription medication is prescribed by a professional. The effects of THC are more in line with the effects of alcohol, so it needs to be treated as such. Apart from being smokable it doesn't have a lot in common with tobacco.

I agree that it's a little overkill, IMO, but let's not get carried away judging the company for treading on liberty here.
Many Canadians have a medical prescription for marijuana, why should they fear for their jobs when the product is TOTALLY LEGAL to possess?
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #1162
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Is having a bottle of booze at work smart?

Prescription medication is prescribed by a professional. The effects of THC are more in line with the effects of alcohol, so it needs to be treated as such. Apart from being smokable it doesn't have a lot in common with tobacco.

I agree that it's a little overkill, IMO, but let's not get carried away judging the company for treading on liberty here.
When people can get prescriptions for a bottle of scotch, then your parallel here might have even a modicum of validity.

Medical professionals are prescribing cannabis, which is the point Poster was making.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #1163
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'd imagine if the employees had a prescription they wouldn't be in hot water. It's likely recreational cannabis the search was after.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #1164
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Many Canadians have a medical prescription for marijuana, why should they fear for their jobs when the product is TOTALLY LEGAL to possess?
Some jobs you can't even take a lot of prescription drugs while performing your duties. Shocking, I know.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #1165
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
Speaking of random. We had a random drug search/inspection though our office today. They had a dog and everything. Our policy is no Cannabis allowed on site and I guess they are taking it seriously, which is good as there would be serious safety issues at our field sites, but this is the first time ever for me at a corporate office space.

Did they give any kind of explanation? Is it in their employee handbook that random searches can take place. If they busted someone did the dogs tear their throat out, or did they ask for a perscription?

Just curious.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #1166
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of random. We had a random drug search/inspection though our office today. They had a dog and everything. Our policy is no Cannabis allowed on site and I guess they are taking it seriously, which is good as there would be serious safety issues at our field sites, but this is the first time ever for me at a corporate office space.
Is that a thing? Can you just rent drug-sniffing dogs? Is it by the day or the hour?

Do they do children's birthday parties?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #1167
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I admit I was a bit liquored up when I ordered and didn't do a lot of research but I ordered 6 grams of Strawberry Ice as it was one of the few things available. To my surprise I received 6 containers. The entire 6 grams could have fit in one container. Seemed so wasteful. Anyone got tips on what's the best weed to order and is there a way to order in quantities other than one gram?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #1168
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't that open up the business to all sorts of legal issues from the employees? Were the drug sniffing dogs used in private with some disecretion or did the business just have these dogs go up to employees as they were working with their colleagues?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #1169
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is that a thing? Can you just rent drug-sniffing dogs? Is it by the day or the hour?

Do they do children's birthday parties?
Yes and yes. You can also hire bed bug dogs. Cancer dogs. Search dogs. Avalanche dogs. And certain chemical sniffing dogs.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #1170
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I find that dubious. I guess it depends on office policy but are employees not allowed to have perfectly legal substances in their backpacks? Pack of cigarettes? Bottle of wine picked up at lunch to bring home after work for the weekend? Cannabis to smoke on the way home (assuming a public transit or walking commute)?

I’ve been carrying some around in my purse for over a month. Mostly out of laziness to just not take it out and leave it in a cupboard at home. But I’d be pretty choked if I was at work and suddenly got fired for having a legal substance just stored in my purse.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #1171
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I find that dubious. I guess it depends on office policy but are employees not allowed to have perfectly legal substances in their backpacks? Pack of cigarettes? Bottle of wine picked up at lunch to bring home after work for the weekend? Cannabis to smoke on the way home (assuming a public transit or walking commute)?

I’ve been carrying some around in my purse for over a month. Mostly out of laziness to just not take it out and leave it in a cupboard at home. But I’d be pretty choked if I was at work and suddenly got fired for having a legal substance just stored in my purse.
Lots of offices have rules surrounding this when they have people in safety sensitive positions. If you don't you can open yourself up to a ton of liability if something were to happen.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #1172
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Medical professionals are prescribing cannabis, which is the point Poster was making.
One of the things I find confusing is medical vs recreational pot.

Are they the same, I seem to think that sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #1173
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
When people can get prescriptions for a bottle of scotch, then your parallel here might have even a modicum of validity.

That's not the point I was interpreting at all, what with the tobacco and legal possession references and all.

I would assume it would be no issue if they can provide records that their cannabis is prescribed. They would probably need to justify use at work (which probably isn't a thing).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #1174
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
One of the things I find confusing is medical vs recreational pot.

Are they the same, I seem to think that sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.
They're the same in the sense that they are both marijuana, but medical stuff tends to have a higher CBD content, with a lower THC content (sometimes none at all).

You can still buy high CBD rec stuff, but it's usually about 50/50 with THC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #1175
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
They're the same in the sense that they are both marijuana, but medical stuff tends to have a higher CBD content, with a lower THC content (sometimes none at all).

You can still buy high CBD rec stuff, but it's usually about 50/50 with THC.
That’s not exactly true. With a prescription you can just order what you want from the provider of your choice. Could be 21% THC 0% CBD.

When people say ‘medical’ it doesn’t mean anything. Using CBD means something.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #1176
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Some jobs you can't even take a lot of prescription drugs while performing your duties. Shocking, I know.
Not sure why you felt the need to be snippy. Especially when it’s more likely that MOST jobs you are allowed to take MOST prescriptions.

Show up Fit for work with no impairment. Most places I’ve worked that has been the rule. We do bottle draws in the office...
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #1177
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reefer Madness at NASA

Quote:
NASA has decided to conduct reviews of SpaceX and Boeing, the two companies the agency hired to develop astronaut-transportation systems that would allow the United States to fly crewed missions from its own launchpads for the first time since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

The reviews, scheduled to begin next year, will assess not the companies’ technical development or their progress, but rather their workplace safety culture. Why? Reportedly, because SpaceX CEO Elon Musk smoked some weed and drank whiskey on a podcast two months ago...

...The Rogan podcast was recorded in California, where recreational use of marijuana is legal. But the federal government still considers marijuana a controlled substance, like heroin and cocaine. And NASA’s contracts with SpaceX and Boeing for the commercial crew program require both contractors to “maintain a program for achieving a drug-and alcohol-free workforce” and conduct “preemployment, reasonable suspicion, random, post-accident, and periodic recurring testing of contractor employees in sensitive positions for use, in violation of applicable law or federal regulation, of alcohol or a controlled substance.”
I wonder if any Canadian companies have similar policies, or do contract work for U.S. government agencies.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #1178
daaznfob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
That’s not exactly true. With a prescription you can just order what you want from the provider of your choice. Could be 21% THC 0% CBD.

When people say ‘medical’ it doesn’t mean anything. Using CBD means something.
Also you can claim the pot on your benefits with medical

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
daaznfob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #1179
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess there's some quality control issues in Ontario, where people are getting moldy product.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #1180
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our company policy specifically stats that Cannabis is not allowed on any company property or at any company functions, this even includes our holiday party etc. that is hosted at a private venue. The rule for alcohol is slightly different stating that alcohol is allowed at certain events (again...holiday party etc.) and of course its standard for both alcohol and drugs for being "fit for work" and such. Our field crews have zero tolerance for both as it should be as it would be a huge safety concern.

Process wise for the dog, they had HR and security come through the floor first saying what was going to happen and asked that we step away from our office or desk while the dog came through. Our Director went through with them as well for our team. It this time, I am unaware if the dog found anything onsite of if they did, what actions were taken.

I am personally fine with this policy. Legal or not, there is no reason you need to bring pot to work as it can't be consumed there and I think work places should be able to restrict anything that could cause accidents or possibly even death in a work situation.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote