Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #221
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Possibly the best catch ever in the BBL last night:

Who the hell geolocks a video in Australia?

Sick catch though.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #222
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia was caught cheating in Cape Town
Old 03-25-2018, 02:59 AM   #223
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Pretty crazy.

Steve Smith pretty much admitted he and the "leadership group" decided to do it because they needed an edge in the game cuz the ball was reverse swinging.

I believe the coach (Darren Lehmann) knew about it too.

Steve Smith will probably take the fall and be removed from the team.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #224
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What bugs me the most is how they made the youngest member of the team do the cheating. Bancroft is still to blame but he must have felt like he had no choice.

Smith and Warner have stepped down for the rest of this test and I'm guessing they won't play in the 4th one. Smith has destroyed his legacy and will never be captain again both internationally and in the IPL.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #225
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know it's bad when the Prime Minister is calling them out:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...0895f826957c85
Old 03-26-2018, 06:06 AM   #226
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. The PM is likely secretly happy this is distracting from his useless government.

I'm really embarrassed and am hoping for lengthy suspensions and leadership changes however the more I think about it there is a lot of overreacting, such as the calls for lifetime bans. Like baseball, ball tampering has been part of the game for years with an attitude of it's only cheating if you get caught. The ICC clearly doesn't consider it a big deal with only a one match suspension.

If anything good comes of this I hope it is more clarity around the ball tampering rules. For example why is sucking on a candy and then rubbing sugary saliva on the ball considered okay?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #227
ClubFlames

Exp:

Rabada celebrates too hard - 2 game suspension.

Smith admits to cheating - 1 game suspension.

I guess ICC uses the same wheel of justice as the NHL.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #228
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Rabada celebrates too hard - 2 game suspension.

Smith admits to cheating - 1 game suspension.

I guess ICC uses the same wheel of justice as the NHL.
Well Rabada did have his suspension revoked in the end.
It comes down to them setting up the rules the way they did - contact with an opposition player is vague, and would cover a tap during celebration or something more intentional.
Ball-tampering is too weakly punished by ICC, but I expect Cricket Australia to come down hard, especially with all the backlash.

However, if you step back and look at the big picture - this is not the first instance of a player/team using a foreign object to change the condition of the ball. it may be one of the more blatant, but it is not an unique event.
The main factor here that makes this worse is the captain/coach/leadership group co-opting the most junior player into the cheating. They tried to hide the evidence, but then made a full admission. Other cases, players have denied everything or only come clean much later.

For me, you have to sack the coach and strip the captaincy and vice-captaincy - the leadership team should no longer be leading, plain and simple. That is down to the coercion used on a junior player - abuse of power should mean removal of power position.

As for suspension beyond 1 game, up to and including life bans, this is a very tricky situation, precedent setting in fact. What does this event have that makes it warrant an unprecedented punishment? Would Smith, Warner, etc. take the case to court for future earnings if banned long-term, given the lack of precedent?

All I can say is that what they did was wrong in so many ways, poor sportsmanship and they should face discipline. And also that I am so glad I am not the one deciding the discipline to be levied, as it is close to a no-win situation.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 04:33 AM   #229
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith and Warner have been suspended for 12 months while Bancroft will be out for 9.

Seems a little harsh, I wouldn't be surprised if there are appeals.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #230
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Smith and Warner have been suspended for 12 months while Bancroft will be out for 9.

Seems a little harsh, I wouldn't be surprised if there are appeals.
If they were to appeal, they would need to wait until the public backlash cools down. Appealing now they may have a case in law, but the court of public opinion would destroy them. Sponsors are already fleeing, so the best course of action is likely to cop the ban, show genuine remorse, and fade into the background in the short term. That way in 6-9 months they can start positioning themselves for recalls for the Ashes.

I think this is the first action, and then a deeper review may bring more changes. IMO to clean up the image of the team, Lehmann has to go, and you either bring in a well respected foreign coach or an ex-Aussie player with a strong presence and reputation. My ideal choice would be Gillespie, due to his coaching track record in County, or Gilchrist as he is the poster-boy of sportsmanship from the past generation of players. Maybe even the pair of them, with Gilchrist cast as more of a mentor and Gillespie the traditional coach.

I think there has been a gradual decline of ethics and behaviour over time, which has led to the situation that the team is now in. It isn't like 2-3 players decided overnight to cheat. I think there needs to be scrutiny at all levels and an emphasis on professional, sportsmanlike conduct.

What this also does now for other teams is show a clear statement of intent - whether you think the penalty is too severe, too lenient, not enough players penalized, what it says is that this is serious and warrants real punishment. ICC needs to revisit rules and other associations now need to either punish as severely or look like they condone the practice.
So Faf should lay off the mints
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #231
ClubFlames

Exp:

Darren Lehmann steps down as coach for the Aussie team. Pretty emotional press conference.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #232
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would think that more knives will come out in the coming weeks. Probably a lot of blame to go around, and I think Lehmann resigned knowing that more dirt was going to come out on him.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #233
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Kiwis are trolling us now.

I'm still of the opinion the suspensions are too harsh and in terms of cheating, match fixing > PEDs >>>> ball tampering. I did grow up as a baseball fan though where ball tampering is a part of the game and the only crime is getting caught.

Also, it looks like Warner is being set up as the bad guy in this with stories emerging of him being a loose canon and a bad team mate.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #234
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Kiwis are trolling us now.

I'm still of the opinion the suspensions are too harsh and in terms of cheating, match fixing > PEDs >>>> ball tampering. I did grow up as a baseball fan though where ball tampering is a part of the game and the only crime is getting caught.

Also, it looks like Warner is being set up as the bad guy in this with stories emerging of him being a loose canon and a bad team mate.
His PR team was a bit slow as his tearful apology press conference didn't happen until today.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:25 AM   #235
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
His PR team was a bit slow as his tearful apology press conference didn't happen until today.
The Warner press conference was a bit of disaster. He tearfully read a prepared statement and refused to answer questions.

I don't expect any one here to know who Warner's PR rep, Roxy Jacenko, is but that explains a lot about why he is losing the PR battle.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #236
ClubFlames

Exp:

This is pretty hilarious.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #237
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any news on how to (legally) watch IPL 2018 in Canada? I know that a couple of years ago, Willow.tv carried the matches. Not finding a definitive answer this year.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #238
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Any news on how to (legally) watch IPL 2018 in Canada? I know that a couple of years ago, Willow.tv carried the matches. Not finding a definitive answer this year.
+1 on this request. I've been trying to see if some games are on Sportsnet again, but can't find anything so far.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #239
ClubFlames

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the contract with Sportsnet ran out in 2016.

As for legal online stream, Willow TV has to carry it. They did last year.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #240
ClubFlames

Exp:

https://www.cricketgateway.com/

You can register and watch Live streaming on Cricket Gateway. They are the official digital streaming partner for IPL 10.