Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #1761
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya - I would just caution that you'll need more than just backing, you'll need a waterproofing system. Don't let some Kijiji guy tell you you're fine with just tile on hardi board (concrete board) for a shower.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #1762
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Ya - I would just caution that you'll need more than just backing, you'll need a waterproofing system. Don't let some Kijiji guy tell you you're fine with just tile on hardi board (concrete board) for a shower.
Kerdi membrane works nice, and the last one I did I used a roll on membrane and was very happy with it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #1763
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have any recommendations on Frosted/Privacy Glass installers for decks?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #1764
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a decent painting company/contractor? I need a stairwell in my house painted as it's way too high for me, and I don't trust ladders (more specifically, I don't trust ME on ladders). How much do painters even cost?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #1765
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To steal your knowledge for an upcoming project of mine, I need to repair an area in the tile that is coming loose (suspecting some mold repair here). The idea is to cut out the effected area, remove mold and replace and re-tile the wall. Would cutting out a section forever cause issues with waterproofing?

I'm hoping to cut this out between studs, and not be ripping the whole wall... or the whole shower.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #1766
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
To steal your knowledge for an upcoming project of mine, I need to repair an area in the tile that is coming loose (suspecting some mold repair here). The idea is to cut out the effected area, remove mold and replace and re-tile the wall. Would cutting out a section forever cause issues with waterproofing?

I'm hoping to cut this out between studs, and not be ripping the whole wall... or the whole shower.
It is certainly possible to patch repair tile as you described, but overall feasbility depends on what the waterproofing system is in place with the rest of the tile and how well you want it to last.

Chances are if one section is compromised, there was some shoddy waterproofing to start with (read, none - not uncommon as proper waterproofing seems to be more of a recent trend for whatever reason), and the rest is likely having mold growing as well and likely to fail as well.

If you want quick and dirty. Cut out between two studs, sister in some additional stud pieces and then affix some Densglass backing to the new 2x4s, then tile. This will buy you some time, but I'd suggest just doing the whole thing rather than incurring expenses twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #1767
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is certainly possible to patch repair tile as you described, but overall feasbility depends on what the waterproofing system is in place with the rest of the tile and how well you want it to last.

Chances are if one section is compromised, there was some shoddy waterproofing to start with (read, none - not uncommon as proper waterproofing seems to be more of a recent trend for whatever reason), and the rest is likely having mold growing as well and likely to fail as well.

If you want quick and dirty. Cut out between two studs, sister in some additional stud pieces and then affix some Densglass backing to the new 2x4s, then tile. This will buy you some time, but I'd suggest just doing the whole thing rather than incurring expenses twice.
This is perfect, thank you!

This will be a temporary solution, and a little 'spruce up' to our bathroom before we circle back and gut it. It'll eventually be a large standing shower, but we have other larger projects in the home that need to be done first. Ideally, I only have this together for 5 years max. Right now, it's a moldy (no shower fan yet in this 60's home) and needs to be re-grouted. This somewhat loose tile will be addressed as an extra measure (and removing that useless soap tray)

I'll be installing a niche in there too, so studs will be braced. You think that negates the sistering, or still a good idea there? Thinking it'll be a wide niche, so spanning 3 studs.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #1768
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I'll be installing a niche in there too, so studs will be braced. You think that negates the sistering, or still a good idea there? Thinking it'll be a wide niche, so spanning 3 studs.
The sistering was more so to provide something to screw your backing into, rather than shoring up the structural integrity of it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #1769
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The sistering was more so to provide something to screw your backing into, rather than shoring up the structural integrity of it.
Perfect! Good to know, I was thinking 'flex' cracking my new stuff to the old. This is great stuff, I'm sure I'll be bugging people here more when I bust open that area.

Any tips on mold removal with the tub still in?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #1770
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a small patch on a couple studs when I re-did my bathroom. I used the spray(can't remember which one) and it got rid of it. But I didn't have very much.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #1771
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had a small patch on a couple studs when I re-did my bathroom. I used the spray(can't remember which one) and it got rid of it. But I didn't have very much.
That's what I was hoping for.

FTR, if there's damage that goes beyond what a spray can clean up, the tubs coming out.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #1772
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be prepared to spray, wait a day and spray again. You may have to do it a few times, but you can watch it disappear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #1773
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too much about the mold. I mean, if you expose, say, 20% of the mold in the patch you do fix, then there is still a bunch back there, and if they have access to moisture, they'll continue to live there.

Undisturbed, they're not much of a health hazard in the wall cavaties. But when I do run into it, usually treat it with some diluted bleach (spray and let dry couple times) and then top with spray can Killz

Last edited by Ducay; 07-09-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #1774
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of tubs, who should I call to get this beast removed?

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #1775
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably not as heavy as it looks. Use some lock jaw pliers on that pipe coupler, and have a friend help lift it out.

I somehow managed to sell mine for $50 to some renter on Kijij who thought she was going to install it herself in her rental place. I did not want to know how that was going to turn out, I just wanted it gone.

Strangely it looks to be the same tub I had, and the same toilet! You have my bathroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #1776
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on my assumption of the perspective in that picture, the brass pipe is for the overflow? If you haven't already, most tubs (I've seen), the main drain's flange (the thing with the grate) is threaded and that is what holds the main drain to the tub. Usually you can just undo that, and undo the overflow (again, similar connection, you should be able to undo the tub completely from within the tub.) and then lift it out.

Now if that brass pipe is the main drain pipe - unless you can easily get at the coupling nut, I'd use a hacksaw or reciprocating saw on the brass pipe. (assuming that it is upstream of the coupling) and then undo the coupling when you have nice clean access to it. I'd rather be safe and F-up the brass pipe that goes into the garbage rather than the coupling you may need to ultimately remove.

Last edited by Ducay; 07-10-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #1777
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's probably not as heavy as it looks. Use some lock jaw pliers on that pipe coupler, and have a friend help lift it out.
I gave the lock jaw pliers a go last night and it won't move, although it is a bit awkward to reach.

Quote:
Strangely it looks to be the same tub I had, and the same toilet! You have my bathroom.
1950s Montgomery Special. The bathroom upstairs was all pink from the tub to the walls. The downstairs bathroom is all blue from the tiles to the toilet. Replacing both!

Quote:
I somehow managed to sell mine for $50 to some renter on Kijij who thought she was going to install it herself in her rental place. I did not want to know how that was going to turn out, I just wanted it gone.
wow $50 and they took it away. That would be awesome. The best case for me is if I can find someone interested in scrap metal pick-up and come and get it.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #1778
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Based on my assumption of the perspective in that picture, the brass pipe is for the overflow? If you haven't already, most tubs (I've seen), the main drain's flange (the thing with the grate) is threaded and that is what holds the main drain to the tub. Usually you can just undo that, and undo the overflow (again, similar connection, you should be able to undo the tub completely from within the tub.) and then lift it out.
You are right. The brass pipe is the overflow, and this picture is looking from above down to the drain coupler.

I tried removing the drain normally with one of those drain removal tools and it wouldn't budge. Either it's a one piece drain to the coupler, or the threads are brutally seized.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #1779
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cement board needs a membrane but according to the building code, green board is an adequate backing in residential shower and tub applications. I'd be wary in a shower where a potential plugged drain could lead to standing water against the wall tile. In a tub however, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to install tile directly on green board.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #1780
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys!

This is great to hear about the mold, as that has been my main concern with repairing these tiles. Now I'll have to cross my fingers there isn't any rot that is inaccessible without a demo.

I'll double back here once things are ripped apart to get advice on what materials I should ultimately re-build with - but I always lean to 'overbuild' as a home DIYer.