Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #1441
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we inventory all of the gifts that Tides has given to every band that currently opposes TransMountain and the LNG projects??
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #1442
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is the band getting money from the oil companies and Tides at the same time?
If so that's a nice little scam.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #1443
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Can we inventory all of the gifts that Tides has given to every band that currently opposes TransMountain and the LNG projects??
We used to easily be able to, but of course Trudeau removed the requirement of bands to publicly disclose financials.

Now we have to dig through US tax filings to try and find where the money is flowing.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #1444
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
These guys must have gone to the Quebec school of shake downs.

U of FUPayME
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #1445
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

They're following the Suzuki model.

Get a bunch of money from US foundations, build your 8 million dollar mansion on land that you share with an Oil Company

https://fairquestions.typepad.com/re...-thousand.html

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #1446
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting column from Don Martin re Pipelines

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...ment-1.4248624

Quote:
This was the week international investment in Canadian energy transportation went palliative following multiple bouts of protracted suffering.

The industry obit will detail how a few chiefs, bestowed with the ceremonial title by their ancestors, finally proved there's no way to move oil, bitumen or natural gas from the ground to the ocean.

TransCanada had the perfect pipeline playbook to connect northern B.C. natural gas fields to the $40 billion coastal LNG plant at Kitimat. There was unanimous agreement by all 20 elected Indigenous bands on the right of way, including the Wet’suwet’en First Nation where this week’s blockade ballooned into international protests.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #1447
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Welcome to Canada!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #1448
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

What an absolute and unmitigated disaster. Shell won’t put up with too much BS here. I tend to believe their investment was lukewarm at west.

Found out yesterday they’re selling all of their stuff not related to shale plays. Not shocking, but not good either. ExxonMobil also is looking to exit pretty much everything too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #1449
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently a deal was reached this evening for road access.

Quote:
They have agreed to allow the company access to do pre-construction work as specified in the interim injunction order for the time being, following arrests on Monday.

"We are adamantly opposed to this proposed project and that will never change, but we are here to ensure the safety of our people," said Chief Na'Moks who attended Thursday's meeting.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/s...link-1.4973598
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #1450
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Pre-construction work means very little when this pipeline was approved for construction, and agreed to by the bands along the route.

The bottom line is that they're breaking the law and ignoring a court order.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #1451
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I said it before and nobody seemed to really agree, but I do believe this, but at some point the Canadian government is going to need to step in with a much more forceful “this is happening, get used to it” strategy here. Like moving in the army or something to get construction done. Eventually it is and will come to that I think.

It’s in the best interest of the majority of Canadians, so, fata off. If that requires mobilization of armed forces or permanent RCMP, then so be it. We live in a country ruled by regulations and laws. Not NIMBYism combined with foreign influence.

These groups have taken extortion (sorry, consultation) to a new extreme and so you cannot placate this ideology or behaviour. It is worth strong arm tactics and looking “mean” in order to salvage what’s left of Canadian energy investment.

Also, I can’t really help it, but I legitimately want bad things to happen to people in Victoria / on the island now. I know that’s awful, but I do. They’ve absolutely destroyed this province. I kind of hate them now for being so ignorant about it all, and for being so extreme in their hypocrisy.. I’m sure I’ll get over it and these feelings will eventually settle down, but they’re kind of just a bunch of dicks. If they get a lot poorer or destroyed economically, that will make me kind of happier.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 01-11-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #1452
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not with this government never.

Look I can think of two times that the army intervened, Oka, and there was one in BC that I can't remember the name was and the Army didn't go in and do much but stand around.

Plus the government doesn't want to give a public relations battle win to the protesters.

Plus we shouldn't be using an instrument like the army to restore civil order unless the protestors are really violent or lives are in danger.

At this point, the next step is in the hands of the pipeline company.

If this new project is deemed to go through another review, they should simply pull the plug, kill the economic packages to the tribes along the route, and walk away.

It sucks for them, but right now, what's the cost to them of a new NEB assessment, or of sitting on their butts waiting?

If these pipeline companies just kept walking way and investing elsewhere we might get some feeling of urgency from the various governments.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #1453
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

We need to start hearing from all the bands that have signed off on the pipeline and recognize it as a way forward in economic growth with the rest of the country. These people matter too. I've heard just about enough from the hereditary chiefs.

I agree that the Government is going to have to push hard to get these through, they're letting these issues fester. A key sign that you've effed up is when both sides hate you and think you're on the other side. People will get over these projects almost instantly once in they're in the ground silently and invisibly generating value for the country (which includes all these FN bands). What people won't get over is the massive divestment and plummetting tax revenue to help us weather the upcoming recession.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #1454
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If these pipeline companies just kept walking way and investing elsewhere we might get some feeling of urgency from the various governments.
They are. And by the time the Government realizes anything about it either it will be far, far too late or that Government wont even be in power anymore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #1455
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Pre-construction work means very little when this pipeline was approved for construction, and agreed to by the bands along the route.

The bottom line is that they're breaking the law and ignoring a court order.
And arrests were made and the court order enforced. Provided the RCMP continues to ensure the court orders are followed I think the government is doing its job on this one. If it ends in bullets being fired it hurts the prospects of TMX.

I do think this is the last Privately built major pipeline. The government will have to do the lifting now which is really sad.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #1456
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Notley says she doesn't know??? She's wasn't prepped??? This is the NDP's pride and joy and yet she doesn't have an answer - good grief!

Quote:
Q: We've had two years with a provincial carbon tax. What kind of decline in fuel consumption have we seen in Alberta in those two years?

A: I would have to get back to you on that. Because, of course, it's related to economic activity as well. So you've got a lot of different things going on at the same time.

Q: Do you know if we've had a decrease in car emissions during that time?

A: I honestly can't tell you right now because I wasn't prepped for that. What I can say is just yesterday, through our CLP [climate leadership plan], we had our second and third auctions for renewable energy. And in doing that, we've now managed to bring in enough renewable energy — electricity — to power 300,000 homes in Alberta, to create 1,000 jobs, and to do so less expensively than anywhere else in North America

In the last 12 months, through our climate leadership plan, and the carbon pricing it generates, we've tripled the amount of renewable energy being used in Alberta in 12 months. As opposed to the amount of renewable energy being used in Alberta over the previous 20 years. So we're doing some good work there.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...deau-1.4952511
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #1457
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Notley says she doesn't know??? She's wasn't prepped??? This is the NDP's pride and joy and yet she doesn't have an answer - good grief!
Well the goal was never to actually reduce anything. Hello "revenue neutral" --> increased general tax revenues.

EDIT: Oh and something something social license.

Last edited by chemgear; 01-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #1458
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there even data available yet? Maybe for two years ago but I would not be surprised if there was any data available for last year.

Pretty hard to analyze data that may not exist yet.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #1459
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're never going to parse out what is related to carbon tax vs economy in general.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #1460
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't get the sense from that quote that there is no data, just that Notley doesn't have the information on hand to provide at the time. Here's hoping they do follow up with it, assuming it is available.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote