Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #1341
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I was mixed up - that's the location I referred to as the Heritage one. But it was the Southland/Acadia one I was thinking of
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #1342
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yup the Willy's were
- On 32nd Avenue by London Drugs
- On Macleod and 39th
- On Heritage where there is now a Popeye's (formerly Taco Time)
- There was also on one on 16th avenue just past 14th Street but it was the first to close
- And there was one in Red Deer

I dearly miss it. Those fries were amazing and the burgers were top notch.
The one on 32nd was where Fatburger is now.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #1343
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I don't recall a Willys by Fairmount and Southland, do remember the RL burger though. would be odd to have a Willys there with the heritage location so close.
I think it was not there long, but it was there- We used to grab burgers from there when I was working pumping gas nearby-looong time ago
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #1344
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So many Deer Run references in here. I used to love going to the Rose Garden for brek next to the Stir Crazy in the Deer Valley Mall, that and trips to Dicks Collectables and Big K Music(which was crazy over priced) to buy Green Day and Tragically Hip Cassetes. We R Video and Video Update were favorites as well.
Then there was the Deer Run pub crawl. Start at Capers (later iterations included Cloud 9, Spadz, and the Brass Monkey to make a few) I think it was called Spadz when my band played its first ever gig there, then a trek to the St George and Dragon (or Winkin Owl before and after), old Filos for the best pizza in the south, the light house for cheap drinks and cheap pool, and then there was also the pool hall next to the Subway.. anyone remember what that place was called?
Oh man and Blimpies, best sandwich franchise around at the time!
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #1345
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The one on 32nd was where Fatburger is now.
Yup it was the last one to close in Calgary. The Red Deer one lasted a touch longer I think
Old 01-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #1346
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the disco View Post
So many Deer Run references in here. I used to love going to the Rose Garden for brek next to the Stir Crazy in the Deer Valley Mall, that and trips to Dicks Collectables and Big K Music(which was crazy over priced) to buy Green Day and Tragically Hip Cassetes. We R Video and Video Update were favorites as well.
Then there was the Deer Run pub crawl. Start at Capers (later iterations included Cloud 9, Spadz, and the Brass Monkey to make a few) I think it was called Spadz when my band played its first ever gig there, then a trek to the St George and Dragon (or Winkin Owl before and after), old Filos for the best pizza in the south, the light house for cheap drinks and cheap pool, and then there was also the pool hall next to the Subway.. anyone remember what that place was called?
Oh man and Blimpies, best sandwich franchise around at the time!
Forgot about the Blimpies subs, I remember the one on 14th Street and 14th avenue or so by 7-11. they didn't really last all that long, did they. Also Yellow Submarine up by Mt Royal college, quite like it as well.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #1347
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Forgot about the Blimpies subs, I remember the one on 14th Street and 14th avenue or so by 7-11. they didn't really last all that long, did they. Also Yellow Submarine up by Mt Royal college, quite like it as well.

they had one of those sweet pacman sit down machines there.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #1348
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The dude that ran that one was weird. He always made me feel like I was inconveniencing him but buying a sub there.
There was also one up on Centre street approaching the bridge.
The Deer Run one was the last to go.
I know way too much about Calgary fast food history.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #1349
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I think it was not there long, but it was there- We used to grab burgers from there when I was working pumping gas nearby-looong time ago

Their fries were soooo good. Hot with just enough grease and a perfect amount of salt.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #1350
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Willy's fries were good. But I'd put Five Guys up against them (or any others I've had in this city).
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #1351
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Blimpies was good when they sliced the meat to order, but they went downhill fast.

Yellow Submarine was my favourite sub place in the early 90s. They had crazy huge subs. I think they were 18 inches.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 AM   #1352
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Willy’s at least around 1993, was at Heritage and Fairmont...and not in the Taco Time now Popeyes, but in where the Money Mart is.

More then once ate there, the seating area was sunken a bit with slanted glass and skylights, and still there on Google street view.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #1353
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What was the name of the big pool hall on the second floor of the building at the corner of 10th Ave and 1st St SW, above where Vicious Circle used to be? I want to say Diesel but not sure if that's correct. We used to go there all the time.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #1354
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Don’t think a Big Boy. Willys Drive in was further up McLeod, which was anA and W drive in in early 80’s maybe what thinking. Billy McIntyres before the Keg by the old Chi Chis.
Another restaurant I used to frequent but we used to go to the location by the University, where the Kilkenny is now. Great back ribs and burgers. They used to have something on the menu called "The World's Biggest Burger", or something like that. A bunch of us tried to eat it one night after hockey. Great times.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #1355
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
What was the name of the big pool hall on the second floor of the building at the corner of 10th Ave and 1st St SW, above where Vicious Circle used to be? I want to say Diesel but not sure if that's correct. We used to go there all the time.
Diesel is correct.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #1356
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I washed dishes at Chi Chis and St. Huberts (bbq chicken chain from Quebec, like Swiss Chalet).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #1357
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
St. Huberts (bbq chicken chain from Quebec, like Swiss Chalet).
makes me a little sad that this has to even be explained

is an iconic restaurant in our family at least. I'm sure you washed our dishes more than once

there is a location in the old train station adjacent to the Bell centre- my son and I hit that one up on one of our MTL hockey road trips
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #1358
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
makes me a little sad that this has to even be explained

is an iconic restaurant in our family at least. I'm sure you washed our dishes more than once

there is a location in the old train station adjacent to the Bell centre- my son and I hit that one up on one of our MTL hockey road trips
When in Montreal two summers ago we made it a point to go to St. Hubert's. Soooooo good.
St. Hubert's and Swiss Chalet competed directly and then divided up the country and basically agreed to stay out of each other's way.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #1359
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I washed dishes at Chi Chis and St. Hubert's (bbq chicken chain from Quebec, like Swiss Chalet).
I was a busboy at Chi Chi's in high school. We may have met each other much earlier than when we thought!

Also, St Huberts sauce was the best. I miss it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #1360
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I was a busboy at Chi Chi's in high school. We may have met each other much earlier than when we thought!

Also, St Huberts sauce was the best. I miss it.
I quit after getting in trouble for eating too many freshly made tortilla chips. It was a hard job - there until 3:30 am on the weekends. The deep-fried ice cream was a big draw.

At St Huberts I got my big break and was promoted to line cook. Their dipping sauce was much better than Swiss Chalet.

Last edited by troutman; 01-10-2019 at 10:06 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time