Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default On the Bright Side Discussion: Kylington’s Progression

This team is driving us all nuts and we are all frustrated as hell with how Jekyll and Hyde their play has been this season.

On the bright side, I have really noticed Kylington’s play has taken a noticeable step forward lately.

Wondering if anyone else has felt the same way and how you expect things to shake out moving forward with our defensive core, specifically next seasons outlook?

Can Kylington carve out a larger role here if we move out some other defensive pieces?

Apologies if some feel this isn’t thread worthy but I think a bit of positivity about a guy who I think is sometimes lost in the shuffle here can’t be a bad thing considering we are facing 9 days of a bad taste in our mouth.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a chance to waive him in the offseason and them trade him for an AHLer during preseason.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sounds like a chance to waive him in the offseason and them trade him for an AHLer during preseason.
It’s called on the bright side discussion bud hahah.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

He keeps getting better with experience. He'll have a larger role on the team next year.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve always thought he had potential and have never wanted him to be a part of a throw in for a trade. I get that Valamaki has always been viewed as the best defensive prospect we have. However with all his injuries he has had, I wouldn’t count it as an absolute he will be the dman we hope he can be. Valamaki has a long journey ahead still to become the heir apparent top defenseman on this team.

Hence I can see with more minutes and progression, Oliver being a solid number 2-3 dman. With as much potential as Andersson. Especially being how soft the NHL has become, with an emphasis/reliance on speed and agility. There was a reason at one point he was considered a top 5 draft pick at one point. .
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was at the game and he definitely stood out in a very positive way
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, Kylington has definitely raised his game a level or two, over the last number of games. His skating is so sweet, and his confidence is growing steadily. Fewer high risk defensive plays, and more sound decision-making.

Great to see.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Kylington supposed to be a high first round pick in his draft year? Loved that the Flames took a chance in him.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Wasn't Kylington supposed to be a high first round pick in his draft year? Loved that the Flames took a chance in him.
Top 5 rated mid season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Top 5 rated mid season.
And even heading into the draft, I think they were still expecting him to go around 15th-20th.

Steal of a pick.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
This team is driving us all nuts and we are all frustrated as hell with how Jekyll and Hyde their play has been this season.

On the bright side, I have really noticed Kylington’s play has taken a noticeable step forward lately.

Wondering if anyone else has felt the same way and how you expect things to shake out moving forward with our defensive core, specifically next seasons outlook?

Can Kylington carve out a larger role here if we move out some other defensive pieces?

Apologies if some feel this isn’t thread worthy but I think a bit of positivity about a guy who I think is sometimes lost in the shuffle here can’t be a bad thing considering we are facing 9 days of a bad taste in our mouth.
Yeah less brain fart, more impact.

Noticeable in his own zone and in creating in the offensive zone.

If they sign one of Brodie or Hamonic, promote Andersson, can either of Valimaki or Kylington play the right side?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC Kylington played the right side more than the left up until he was drafted.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great thread!

I am hopeful that Kylington can continuing moving up the depth chart. Ideally, in the very near future, he, Andersson and Valimaki would all be in the top four. This will be of particular importance should one (or both) of Brodie/Hamonic not be here next season.

Kylington increasing his reliability is also necessary because I think that Flames' management needs to follow the Stamps' example Huffnagel has set with respect to making hard decisions. Specifically relevant to this discussion is a difficult decision to be made about Giordano. In my mind, it's time for one of two things to happen: trade Gio to a contender while his value is still there, or keep him for his leadership, but move him down the depth chart.

I'd really like for the second of those two things to happen, because I think Gio could be like a Chara on this team. But for it to happen, the continued emergence of Kylington is required.

If I'm being completely honest, given his early season play, I wasn't that optimistic about Kylington becoming almost another Andersson. But he is slowly and consistently showing improvement. If he could develop like Andersson has, we'd be laughing.

Incidentally, also thanks for the blunt "Jekyll and Hyde" comment--this is definitely my biggest frustration this season as well. The Flames are like drop-in ice time: you never know who's going to show up.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is valimaki expected to start skating? Any news?

Good thread though.. he's been solid all year
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Nah.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am wondering if we should have Hanifin and Andersson play top pairing minutes and have Gio start having Kylington play as the RD with him (if we don't re-sign Brodie). If we do re-sign Brodie, then have him and Kylington swap time with Gio on the 2nd pairing. I've been really impressed with him as of late. Honestly think that it would be a terrible idea to move on from him since he's one of our best skaters on the team.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Now that you said it out loud watch him be the one traded.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #18
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Kylington comparable to DeAngelo in New York?

Both fell in the draft for "personality" reasons, and both play a similar style. DeAngelo is a couple years older, it would be great if Kylington could follow his progression
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #19
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

honestly, i thought that the flames had their core for the next ten years on the roster since last year, with Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington and Valimaki.

Glad that Calgary has held onto Kylington as he is a kid that, while slow to develop, has so much potential and as his confidence increases that ability that once made him a top 5 player will continue to come to the surface
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #20
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kylington dropped from his initial top 5 ranking but he was still predicted to have been taken between 15-24. Many scouts considered him to be one of the steals of the draft when the Flames took him. He slid primarily because of an off year Playing between the two Swedish clubs that season, as well as an injury. There were some concerns to his defensive game but from my recollection many were ok with it due to his skating ability and good stick/gap control. It was just his strength they were mostly iffy about.

I’d be curious to see if he is ever given a chance to quarterback the power play in the future. As that was one of the major pros to his game in the past. The ability to move the puck and make decisive offensive contributions with confidence. I hope they keep him and allow the young D core to grow together. As stated there is no guarantee Valamaki will recover or make an impact yet either.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post: