Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Forsberg's Lacrosse style goal

I think the NHL needs to look at these goals with more scrutiny... video reviewing all of them.

I think Forseberg's goal last night should stand because he makes no contact with his stick on the goalie up high... but, for example, Carolina's Svechnikov goal against Calgary should be reviewed and should be disallowed because his stick hits Dave in the head. If, at any time, your stick goes higher than the crossbar or makes contact with the goalie's head - the goal should be disallowed.

JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fine with both, the reason Dave gets hit in the head is that his head is below the bar, ergo it's not a high stick.

Pretty soon someone's gonna figure it's dangerous to have metal blades on your feet and some segment of the fanbase will demand that hockey be played in shoes for everyone's safety.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No. Let’s not punish fun and creativity.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides, by the way the rules are written you can high stick with a follow through right? So its not even a penalty?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

High stick on follow through of a shot is not a penalty
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Its a phase. Like rock & roll or the smart phone. Eventually the kids will get tired of creative ways to play the puck and keep their sticks on the ice. Like my Dad and his Dad before him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely a bit of a game changer for goalies and defenseman. I've noticed recently that the flames stack a guy on the far post when there's an opponent behind the net; not sure if that's a safe guard against these goals, or if that's always been a strategy and I just haven't noticed before.

It's entertaining when guys figure out new and creative ways to score, so I don't think we should be policing it too closely.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cant be a high stick after the goal unless someone is hit in the head. The play is technically over as soon as the puck crosses the goal line, which would be before the stick goes above the cross bar...
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It's definitely a bit of a game changer for goalies and defenseman. I've noticed recently that the flames stack a guy on the far post when there's an opponent behind the net; not sure if that's a safe guard against these goals, or if that's always been a strategy and I just haven't noticed before.

It's entertaining when guys figure out new and creative ways to score, so I don't think we should be policing it too closely.
This happened in 1996.

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
I'm fine with both, the reason Dave gets hit in the head is that his head is below the bar, ergo it's not a high stick.

Pretty soon someone's gonna figure it's dangerous to have metal blades on your feet and some segment of the fanbase will demand that hockey be played in shoes for everyone's safety.
Below the crossbar has no impact on whether or not a penalty is called for highsticking a player in the head.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great goal by Forsberg and he was doing it in full speed. The guy has a tonne of skills. I don't think the league should make up any more rules to stop creativity in scoring any goals IMO. It's tough enough as it is these days to score on big goalies with huge pads. If the stick is not above the crossbar, let it be.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I say get rid of the crossbar rule. Make it shoulder height like everywhere else on the ice. Crossbar is too hard to determine and taller players get an advantage here.

As far as making contact with the goalies head. Is the risk for goalies really that high? Velocity of the stick is low when compared to a slap shot so concussion risk is negligible. Goalies also have a cage so a little tap to the mask won't hurt them.

Let's not go changing rules to eliminate a very exciting play. This type of goal generates millions of views across social media platforms. These types of plays are what helps grow the game.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I say get rid of the crossbar rule. Make it shoulder height like everywhere else on the ice. Crossbar is too hard to determine and taller players get an advantage here.

As far as making contact with the goalies head. Is the risk for goalies really that high? Velocity of the stick is low when compared to a slap shot so concussion risk is negligible. Goalies also have a cage so a little tap to the mask won't hurt them.

Let's not go changing rules to eliminate a very exciting play. This type of goal generates millions of views across social media platforms. These types of plays are what helps grow the game.
I don't think goalies are in danger. On the other hand, flicking a stick at someone's head is going to make them flinch and be less able to make a save. I supposed the argument would be a little like how the Sean Avery distraction by waving his stick in front of goalies' faces was eventually made to be illegal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #14
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think goalies are in danger. On the other hand, flicking a stick at someone's head is going to make them flinch and be less able to make a save. I supposed the argument would be a little like how the Sean Avery distraction by waving his stick in front of goalies' faces was eventually made to be illegal.
I still can't believe Brodeur didn't feed him the business end of his blocker for that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Below the crossbar has no impact on whether or not a penalty is called for highsticking a player in the head.
Eh, possibly correct in some pedantic way, but utterly irrelevant. As noted, it's not a "high stick" because it's part of the shot. If you are the shooter, you can crank a guy in the head on your follow through.

The rule I was referring to however is the one about high-sticking the puck into the net - 80.3 Disallowed Goal – When an attacking player causes the puck to
enter the opponent’s goal by contacting the puck above the height of
the crossbar, either directly or deflected off any player or official, the
goal shall not be allowed. The determining factor is where the puck
makes contact with the stick. If the puck makes contact with the stick
at or below the level of the crossbar and enters the goal, this goal
shall be allowed.
A goal scored as a result of a defending player striking the puck
with his stick carried above the height of the crossbar of the goal
frame into his own goal shall be allowed.

So I mean, by the rules, this is not a high-sticking play, period.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #16
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this becomes common place then I would have a problem with it, because it would feel like a "cheap" goal, but so far it's still extremely rare.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #17
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I've couldn't agree more here. This is what we need in the game. Sorry, i've been advocating for this for years as that's the rule growing up in Minor Hockey and then it changes once Junior hits.

Anyways, back to the high sticking. No. Don't change the rule and keep letting the guys come up with more creative and exiting plays. If a goalie chooses to throw his head into the stick to stop the puck, then it's a good play by him if it stays out. Fully protected.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine this is the Game 7 Stanley cup OT GWG.
Would that change how we look at these goals then?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Nope, it would be considered the goal of the year.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Not for me. And it really shouldn't for anyone else. They have a good read on things in the NHL. For instance, as awesome as Whites Headbutt goal was, it was called off. It was put in above the crossbar. Generally, these lacrosse wrap around goals, the puck is below the crossbar before it goes in, so no issue.

League needs to not cowtail to every whine and cry from fans.
Same with Chuckys hits. Something need to just be left alone.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote