Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #2721
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player
 
oldschoolcalgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Exp:
Default

I don't think many people "hate" Bennett (except in GTs, where everyone gets hated)

its more of an acceptance that Bennett will never reach his potential in Calgary, which doesn't mean that he won't do that somewhere else.

While people can argue that he has not gotten first line minutes, he's certainly been tried out with the top units on more than a number of occasions and has never risen to the opportunity.

Take a guy like Mangi; he started out on the bottom line, but through his play in games and presumably practice, he was given a chance to move up the lineup. And to his credit, he has done just that. Mangi wasn't gifted squat.

I don't think Bennett has done anything to suggest he 'deserves' to move up the lineup.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #2722
Harry Lime
First Line Centre
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
If the leafs are using a combination of matthews, marner, tavares and nylander as pairs in their top six that leaves hyman and kapanen as the third man on the top two lines. I dont see Bennett passing either one of those two to earn a spot on the top two lines
The latest discussion seemed to be around Bennett being a part of a trade for Kapanen. Bennett is as far above the bottom 2 leaf LW, as marner and nylander is above Bennett.
__________________
"Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they can have an excuse to drink alcohol." - Steve Martin
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #2723
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Honestly, the dislike for this player that a few posters have is getting to the point where I have an immediate impulse to defend Bennett, even if momentary negatively might be warranted.
This is basically the epitome of the downfall of online human interaction, as an aside.

*Be genuine, don't try to counter or overcorrect discussion. It has a further dividing effect not a correcting one.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-17-2020 at 09:39 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #2724
DeluxeMoustache
 
DeluxeMoustache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I don't think many people "hate" Bennett (except in GTs, where everyone gets hated)

its more of an acceptance that Bennett will never reach his potential in Calgary, which doesn't mean that he won't do that somewhere else.

While people can argue that he has not gotten first line minutes, he's certainly been tried out with the top units on more than a number of occasions and has never risen to the opportunity.

Take a guy like Mangi; he started out on the bottom line, but through his play in games and presumably practice, he was given a chance to move up the lineup. And to his credit, he has done just that. Mangi wasn't gifted squat.

I don't think Bennett has done anything to suggest he 'deserves' to move up the lineup.

Yeah being the best player in the playoffs, point per game even, didn’t warrant any kind of look.

You do know Mangiapane is a bottom six player right now, right?

Mangiapane is on a 9 game streak with zero points on the second line.
Bennett got 7 minutes with Johnny and Monny one day. A long time ago.

You know that when Lindholm agreed to play Center, they agreed to give him a dozen games. Tell me again about the great opportunities Bennett has gotten

I know, I know. Bennett takes lazy penalties, often stick infractions like that trip against Toronto.

Great insight
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #2725
TheSquatch
Crash and Bang Winger
 
TheSquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah being the best player in the playoffs, point per game even, didn’t warrant any kind of look.

You do know Mangiapane is a bottom six player right now, right?

Mangiapane is on a 9 game streak with zero points on the second line.
Bennett got 7 minutes with Johnny and Monny one day. A long time ago.

You know that when Lindholm agreed to play Center, they agreed to give him a dozen games. Tell me again about the great opportunities Bennett has gotten

I know, I know. Bennett takes lazy penalties, often stick infractions like that trip against Toronto.

Great insight
I've thought Mangiapane was a driving force in the last few games I've seen, I did not see the Toronto game, but I'm at the point where I consider Mangiapane and Dube as more valuable to the team moving forward than Bennett. Not the Bennett we hope for, but the Bennett that is - the guy who coughs up the puck pretty often with dumb passes, and who still thinks that the toe-drag is gonna work, I mean, it's gotta work eventually, right? That's Bennett. He's a big strong kid with no vision and a penchant for trying to do too much at the wrong time in both zones. The Bennett we want is a big strong bashing crashing net presence with a nice touch on the puck, but.... that just ain't him. Wish it was. We all wish it was. Has Backlund had opportunities or not? Can we agree that Backlund has a good wrist shot but basically no "touch" on the puck? Or does he need another season or two to really show it?
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #2726
Karl
Franchise Player
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
I've thought Mangiapane was a driving force in the last few games I've seen, I did not see the Toronto game, but I'm at the point where I consider Mangiapane and Dube as more valuable to the team moving forward than Bennett. Not the Bennett we hope for, but the Bennett that is - the guy who coughs up the puck pretty often with dumb passes, and who still thinks that the toe-drag is gonna work, I mean, it's gotta work eventually, right? That's Bennett. He's a big strong kid with no vision and a penchant for trying to do too much at the wrong time in both zones. The Bennett we want is a big strong bashing crashing net presence with a nice touch on the puck, but.... that just ain't him. Wish it was. We all wish it was. Has Backlund had opportunities or not? Can we agree that Backlund has a good wrist shot but basically no "touch" on the puck? Or does he need another season or two to really show it?
No. I would say Backlund has an average wrist shot.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #2727
Ped
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
If the leafs are using a combination of matthews, marner, tavares and nylander as pairs in their top six that leaves hyman and kapanen as the third man on the top two lines. I dont see Bennett passing either one of those two to earn a spot on the top two lines

Add to that Engvall, Johnsson, and Tymashov - all who have outscored Bennett this season.


If the Leafs want Bennett, it's not for his scoring, although I'm sure obviously they'd hope the potential exists still.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #2728
Karl
Franchise Player
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Add to that Engvall, Johnsson, and Tymashov - all who have outscored Bennett this season.


If the Leafs want Bennett, it's not for his scoring, although I'm sure obviously they'd hope the potential exists still.
And they (plus Hyman and Kapanen) except for Tymashov have been better than Bennett too.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #2729
Samonadreau
#1 Goaltender
 
Samonadreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Paradise
Exp:
Default

Its been a tough season for Bennett with his injury and production woes, but I still maintain he's a decent 3rd liner and better then that in the playoffs. Add to that the Lucic-Ryan-Dube line clicked on day 1 and its been a steady diet of 4th line for Bennett. Not sure why he doesn't get more love for being the only skater that showed up against the Avs last playoffs.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:07 AM   #2730
trieu8
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

We need Benzo for the playoffs. He steps up during that time of season.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #2731
kyuss275
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Its been a tough season for Bennett with his injury and production woes, but I still maintain he's a decent 3rd liner and better then that in the playoffs. Add to that the Lucic-Ryan-Dube line clicked on day 1 and its been a steady diet of 4th line for Bennett. Not sure why he doesn't get more love for being the only skater that showed up against the Avs last playoffs.

Yes he was the best player for the flames against the avs, but that is not saying much. I do like his physical play come playoff time, but i get the sense some of you think come playoff time he becomes the next Wendal Clark. Come playoff time he looks like what you want out of your 3rd line player. He certainly does not become the skill of a 1st line player.

I would like him for the playoffs this year, but if he needs to be put in a package to get a true top 6 player for the playoffs, they have to do it.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #2732
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

As spotted on twitter,

He is being outscored by Curtis Lazar.........who has half the games played as Sam.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #2733
Monahammer
First Line Centre
 
Monahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Albert (Calgary-Jr.)
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
As spotted on twitter,

He is being outscored by Curtis Lazar.........who has half the games played as Sam.
Glad to see lazar put it together. I thought we should have kept him to replace hathaway

Bennett cant even do that :/
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #2734
savemedrzaius
First Line Centre
 
savemedrzaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Leafs don't have the cap space to take on Bennett's cap hit.

He's a bottom sixer so no way the Leafs are willing to trade Kappy or Johnsson for him. And the bottom 6 guys are all on cheap contracts for the most part so it wouldn't make sense to deal them away.

Leafs could use his jam but I think backup is a more pressing concern for the Leafs so I don't see it happening.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016