Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #2041
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It is good to see Raonic finally healthy and playing well. How has Isner been lately?
He's had a pretty good season in 2018, he won the Masters 1000 tourney in Miami beating Alex Zverev in the final. With his big serve, he's a dangerous opponent on grass. I don't expect to see many rallies past 5 shots in the Milos - Isner match on Wednesday.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #2042
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Interest stat I saw, this is Nadal's 35th major QF total.....Roger didn't make 36 in a row did he?
Fed's streak was 36 QFs in a row, 53 total

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Roger_Federer

this is like the longest sports page on all of Wikipedia
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #2043
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interest stat I saw, this is Nadal's 35th major QF total.....Roger didn't make 36 in a row did he?
Well we know that won't happen again for Roger who skips one major every year despite being 100% healthy to play in it
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #2044
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Fed's streak was 36 QFs in a row, 53 total

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Roger_Federer

this is like the longest sports page on all of Wikipedia
I mean of course I know this, just some GOAT debate needling is all.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #2045
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Well we know that won't happen again for Roger who skips one major every year despite being 100% healthy to play in it
when Rafa's 4 kids are born my guess is he'll take a long look at that summer/fall hard court schedule and start booking family vacations instead...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #2046
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016395016632090624

Go get 'em, Gaby!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #2047
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Zverev's first 3 full years in grand slams is not different than Federer's first 3 full years.

Zverev
2016 (Age 19)
AO: R1
FO: R3
WI: R3
US: R2
Year End Rank: 24

2017 (Age 20)
AO: R3
FO: R1
WI: R4
US: R2
Year End Rank: 4

2018 (age 21)
FO: QF
WI: R3
US: ?
Current Rank: 3

Federer
2000 (age 19)
FO: R4
WI: R1
US: R3
Year End Rank: 29

2001 (age 20)
FO: QF
WI: QF
US: R4
Year End Rank: 13

2002 (age 21)
AO: R4
FO: R1
WI: R1
US: R4
Year End Rank: 6

It didn't look like Federer was going anywhere!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...02.wimbledon15

Of course Federer would not lose at Wimbledon again until the 2008 classic against Nadal.

Sure, I agree it is not substantially different when looking at Zverev compared to Federer. The thing I would counter would be that Roger was making major QFs and R4s with much more ease compared to Zverev by age 21.

Federer: 6 vs Zverev: 2

A ranked player, especially a top 5 player at a major, such as Zverev, should be making the second week of the event as they are playing far inferior players. Zverev's game has not evolved at all since his big jump up the rankings and he's become quite predictable.

I would imagine we won't see a Federer like shift in his results until he puts in the work to add more to his repertoire.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #2048
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Subliminally under-minding clay is one of Roger's greater accomplishments actually. Fans generally don't like clay tennis, but Roger has made it socially acceptable to just straight up trash it. Genius move really.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #2049
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
He's had a pretty good season in 2018, he won the Masters 1000 tourney in Miami beating Alex Zverev in the final. With his big serve, he's a dangerous opponent on grass. I don't expect to see many rallies past 5 shots in the Milos - Isner match on Wednesday.
Last week, this is a match up I had ear marked as the best possible outcome for Milos to advance to another Wimbledon semifinal. He's beaten Isner in the last match they've played and now has a substantially better all around game than the american.

The fact that Raonic is willing to come forward as much as he does against a weak base liner like Isner is enough to give him the edge for me. Milos also has a far superior 2nd serve and should be able to exploit Isner in that regard provided he isn't in full on Ace mode.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #2050
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A fan gets Rafa to sign a Federer hat after his victory over Vesely...

Old 07-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #2051
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Subliminally under-minding clay is one of Roger's greater accomplishments actually. Fans generally don't like clay tennis, but Roger has made it socially acceptable to just straight up trash it. Genius move really.
Federer fans are the only ones who don't like clay, I don't know why he was a very good clay court player, probably around 10th best ever.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #2052
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN just had a poll on which surface makes for the best tennis to watch

Grass 46%
Hard Courts 35%
Clay 19%

Seriously, nobody likes clay because it's grindfests of extended rallies that end with unforced errors. It's tedious and not really enjoyable to watch. People like action, people like winners, people like shotmaking. People don't like matches that are as exciting as watching two backboards playing against each other.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #2053
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ESPN just had a poll on which surface makes for the best tennis to watch

Grass 46%
Hard Courts 35%
Clay 19%

Seriously, nobody likes clay because it's grindfests of extended rallies that end with unforced errors. It's tedious and not really enjoyable to watch. People like action, people like winners, people like shotmaking. People don't like matches that are as exciting as watching two backboards playing against each other.
Lol ESPN is American and when was the last time an American won the French? North Americans suck on clay and are generally good on grass so the poll is flawed. Ask Europeans I assume Clay comes out on top and Hard would be the worst.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #2054
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simon just won the 3rd set against Delpo and with darkness setting in they are going to finish tomorrow. Winner faces Nadal, hoping for at least 2 more hours of grueling tennis for both men
Old 07-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #2055
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you watch the clay 1000 events in Europe? Embarrassingly weak attendance, sometimes you can literally count the number of fans. Clay tennis is just boring, it's not a slight against Nadal for winning 11 clay majors, it's the reality. And it's getting worse since more guys (like alleged star Zverev) are becoming baseliners who don't have the shot variety to do anything but stand back there and blast away. It's just not compelling enough. Even if Felix becomes the next Nadal and dominates clay, I'm not gonna change my opinion on this. Players consistently winning matches with more errors than winners simply isn't fun to watch.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #2056
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
A fan gets Rafa to sign a Federer hat after his victory over Vesely...
You sure that's not a RaFa hat? the other guy's not even allowed to wear that monogram anymore
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #2057
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Federer fans are the only ones who don't like clay, I don't know why he was a very good clay court player, probably around 10th best ever.
which 9 guys in history (aside from Rafa of course) would you put money down on beating prime Fed on dirt?
Old 07-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #2058
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me grass is too boring because the serve is such a weapon that serve bots are almost impossible to break. The courts at Wimbledon look beautiful but to me it only favors big hitters/servers. There doesn’t seem to be the same strategy involved with clay where you can’t hit through an opponent. Watching Nadal at the French is like watching a chess champion the way he is 2-3 moves ahead of opponents running them side to side and wearing them down. Watching Federer at Wimbledon his matches are over in 90 minutes there is no drama no excitement, no extended rallies he just goes in serves 4 times finishes his serve in 90 seconds and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong a large part of the reason is because Fed amazing and a great player that no one seems able to challenge him at Wimbledon yet.....
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #2059
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
which 9 guys in history (aside from Rafa of course) would you put money down on beating prime Fed on dirt?
Rafa, Bjorg, Kuerten, Djokovic, Lendl, Muster, Villas, Wilander, Courier and ya know maybe even Thiem all above or would be a very fun debate they were better than Federer on clay. Federer is currently 14th best win % on clay and 26th for most titles. Obviously he had a huge road block most others didn't.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #2060
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To me grass is too boring because the serve is such a weapon that serve bots are almost impossible to break. The courts at Wimbledon look beautiful but to me it only favors big hitters/servers. There doesn’t seem to be the same strategy involved with clay where you can’t hit through an opponent. Watching Nadal at the French is like watching a chess champion the way he is 2-3 moves ahead of opponents running them side to side and wearing them down. Watching Federer at Wimbledon his matches are over in 90 minutes there is no drama no excitement, no extended rallies he just goes in serves 4 times finishes his serve in 90 seconds and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong a large part of the reason is because Fed amazing and a great player that no one seems able to challenge him at Wimbledon yet.....
I mean holy ####ing hell if you don't think Roger does this on grass too...