Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #621
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what happens when you think you are bigger than the sport.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #622
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Signs contract, doesn't like obligations in contract, acts like a baby, gets reprimanded by employer.

Nothing to see here folks.
As much as you would probably want to believe there is nothing to see here, there will be a lot more to this story in the coming days/weeks/months and you, like I will be following developments. Why? Because like it or not, one thing McGregor is good at and that is generating news and interest.

Jeez, the whole non showing at the press conference has resulted in more attention than if the actual proper conference had taken place. Nothing to see indeed.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #623
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Mayweather like. He said he wanted to be his own boss. Posting pictures with captions like mayweather. Any publicity is good publicity.

People will buy the ppv whether they are a fan or want to see him get his *ss laid out.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #624
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Nothing to see indeed. Connor being Connor again. Always the attention seeker, and quickly becoming the boy who cried wolf. He's also just proven he's a crybaby. If that makes anyone watch a PPV then good on him; he's doing his job. I'd rather see a five-round masterpiece than watch Connor pose on Twitter. And there are plenty of other fighters with warrior spirit who can deliver.

Yawn.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #625
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

But the thing is. Like it or not. You are an example of his success.

Regardless of whether you hate him or not, as much as you can claim not to be. He has grabbed your attention. You want to see him beat ... badly. Attention seeker he is indeed. And your attention he has sought .... and got.

So, as far as you are concerned, and me, and many others, it's a simple case of mission accomplished for McGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
People will buy the ppv whether they are a fan or want to see him get his *ss laid out.
Exactly. He doesn't care what people think of him as long as they think of him.

Last edited by Bagor; 04-22-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #626
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked his rant. Makes sense to me.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #627
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
But the thing is. Like it or not. You are an example of his success.

Regardless of whether you hate him or not, as much as you can claim not to be. He has grabbed your attention. You want to see him beat ... badly. Attention seeker he is indeed. And your attention he has sought .... and got.

So, as far as you are concerned, and me, and many others, it's a simple case of mission accomplished for McGregor.

Exactly. He doesn't care what people think of him as long as they think of him.
The thing is - this only actually works if he's the best.

If Diaz beats him again then no one will care - because we would have seen him beat twice already.

This worked for Mayweather because he actually was unbeatable. He could talk that game, and have you hoping to see him beat, but then nobody could actually do it and then on to the next one.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #628
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.#

This line kind of pissed me off. There's a lot of great fighters that made the UFC what it is today, or at least what it was when it was really good. Won't start that debate again, but I liked the UFC of a couple of years ago, before the WWE type crap crept in more and more, on the backs of fighters like Conor.

He did manage one thing that I never thought possible and that's to make me cheer for a Diaz.
schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #629
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the great things about what some call the WWE type crap is that because of that some fighters are getting payed. Even the trickle down effect is worth it, it might not be Conor or Gsp money but if it's better, then I'm in favour of it

One thing also to remember is that there is a lot more coverage of it. There might have been the same promotion and crap going on before but there was so little coverage of it that it never crossed our paths like it does. Let's face it the coverage for Conor and Ronda has did wonders for the fight game in regular non fight media. It's only understandable that it would then take these headlines and run with them as it's easy hits and this we are over-saturated with it.

I understand Conor's point, the amount of media that him and Ronda doing is so much more then any fighter has ever done. But that's also why he's the cheddar. The only thing I disagree with is now that he getting the $$'s you want to pull back on what got you those dollars without taking less $

For myself I love hype, I've been renting PPV's nonstop for 14 years and I love getting excited for a fight or even getting my money's worth from the buildup long before the fight night even happens. If you take this weekends fight for example, since DC pulled out I have very little interest in it. I'll rent it and might get to witness some great fights and get my moneys worth.... but the great thing about a Conor fight or even a Sonnen fight before that, I got my $50 worth long before the weigh ins happened on Friday

To each their own for every GSP i hope we have a completely different fighter as well, as long as it's themselves I'm all for it. When they are fake like Tate then I can do without. I'll rather have Jones being himself now rather then the fake Jones before trying to win over fans

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 04-22-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #630
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its great the fighters make more money, but seriously McGregor is out to lunch here. Of course if he wants to be the big star he has to do the heavy lifting. Be careful what you wish for!

The other thing is that he couldn't find time away from training for a presser 3 months out from the fight? Come on. You consider yourself world class at something then you can spare time three months before it takes place.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #631
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #632
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #633
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #634
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #635
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Kid i work with is down in Vegas for UFC 197

Last edited by Violator; 04-24-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #636
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #637
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty boring main event after some other good fights. Like 25 minutes of circling, with the odd kick/punch thrown in.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #638
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones looked rusty, should probably be happy that Cromier couldn't go.

Might mouse is a machine.

Pettit just doesn't look like the same fighter since the loss to Dos Anjos.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #639
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Conor says he's back for UFC 200

http://www.tsn.ca/mcgregor-back-on-c...c-200-1.477793

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/...74735912968192

Quote:
After a whirlwind week that saw the Dubliner claim to be retired and get pulled from his main event rematch against Nate Diaz for failure to fulfill promotional duties, the 27-year-old featherweight champion tweeted early Monday morning that he will be fighting in Las Vegas on July 9.
The UFC has yet to confirm McGregor's tweet.
The featherweight champion suffered his first loss in the UFC at the hands of Diaz back in March. McGregor was scheduled to fight lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos, but the Brazilian was forced to pull out with a foot injury. Diaz stepped into the main event at UFC 196 and secured a second-round submission victory over the Irishman.
UFC president Dana White said McGregor was "obsessed" with a rematch and the organization granted him his wish on its landmark event.

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #640
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon27

Still nothing official from the UFC however.

Maybe it gets done, but like I said you don't play hardball with Dana White and win very often. In their minds they've moved on from McGregor on that fight card.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote