Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I say you do whatever works for you. If it is feeling like a grind to you then it will probably eventually come through as that in your writing.

Do what you like best, shorten it up to only the parts that interest you and/or have some other people do them from time to time.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #22
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wanted to add my voice here as I read every one. For me they are the best game summaries anywhere for the reasons listed above. I actually prefer the subjective views and opinions more than the stats but that’s just me.

Thanks Bingo for keeping these going. Huge dedication on your part.

Hopefully we can get a few volunteers here to share the duties.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really appreciate them, thank you for all the ones you've done so far. Personally, I normally gravitate towards the Odds and Ends (this is often the most unique content), but I imagine that is one of the more time-intensive. The middle sections (Stars, Save, Heel, Clutch) are also fun but GDT/PGT normally hashes that out pretty thoroughly.

Being a parent is tough at the best of times, let alone two athletic kids in older age categories. I couldn't imagine coming up with an in-depth analysis for every game. "X was awesome/terrible!" is typically the peak of my contribution. Thank you Bingo!
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #24
apiquard
Draft Pick

I don't post often (or at all really), but have always enjoyed the Game Takes.
I'd say I've read all but a handful since I started following the forum.
I don't get to watch (or listen) to every game, so it's always been a good source to find out how the game went. Even when I do watch the games (or catch some highlights), the balanced point of view is always welcome. Keeps me from getting too high after a win, or too low after a loss (unlike the GT or PGT which tend to lead to the exact opposite).

I appreciate all the effort that you (and those who have helped you along the way) have put in to writing these over the years.

I would definitely miss them if they disappeared, but you need to do what is best for you and your family.
apiquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'll be honest, I hardly ever read them. I try to follow the game in the Game Thread and when it's over I check out the PGT. That's usually enough for me.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Game Take is usually the first post-game coverage I read, followed by FlamesNation, Herald/Sun, TheWinColumn. Kudos for putting a quality read up very quickly.

Agree with the others on the "Odds and Ends" section, I actually skip down to read this part first.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Odds and ends are great, keep those.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #28
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read them. Its a breath of fresh air to see sensible commentary on the game that night instead of the reactionary panic + doom and gloom in even the most lopsided flames wins during the GT or PGT
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #29
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have read every one of them for years. They are part of my daily staple and have enjoyed them all.
I do understand how tough it is to manage this load though and fully understand the time commitment. Do what is best for you. Maybe a weekly summary vs a game x game summary would alleviate the pain and still give you a chance to excersize your writing chops?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read most of them even if I don't post in the thread or thank all of them. That said family come first so whatever decision is made is fine with me.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Possession stats and odds & ends.

Love them.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #32
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the Game Takes for the same reason others have mentioned - they are an even keeled dispassionate summary of what really happened in the game. Personally I’m not so interested in the stats - looking at them a game at a time doesn’t mean much to me.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t give you any advice on what to do Bingo. I have enjoyed reading them and want to
thank you for that. I will keep coming back to the site regardless and will read them whenever one is posted.

Maybe Scorp would be willing to take on the occasional game?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #34
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I have read every one of them for years. They are part of my daily staple and have enjoyed them all.
I do understand how tough it is to manage this load though and fully understand the time commitment. Do what is best for you.
exactly my thoughts, the game takes are a voice of reason here
you don´t get to high after wins, you´re never to low after a loss
for me it would be a big loss, but as lot´s of people allready said
you have to manage your time and of course it´s family first
Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #35
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just post Gaskals ATL report on there instead and call it a night.
squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #36
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

have you thought about pulling your kids out of their activities and having them write the game takes? this would leave you lots of free time to do......
Old 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #37
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like reading them occasionally. They are better than what is in the paper the next day.

But if i was in your shoes, i would hit pause on them for a while. You don't have to kill them forever, but take a break for a few months. See where it lands us.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #38
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like the game takes and pretty much always read them, but I totally understand the limited number of hours in the day. It's a take on the game that is different than what I see in the traditional media.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #39
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I read them always when I wasn't able to watch the game.

When I watch the game I read them sometimes, just to see if I saw what you saw, as watching can be subjective.

I think the amount of detail could be toned down. The detail takes a lot of effort and the puck possession stats in particular matter not to why I read -- I want to get an impression of the flow and the highlights. The good and the bad.

The last part of the Game Takes has always been the best part, the somewhat random insight and commentary, that's the real value when I read, sometimes I just skip to that.

Overall, you put more effort in writing than any journalist publishes. So maybe make it easier and keep going.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #40
SweepToTheCup
Draft Pick

I read almost every one. I think it's the best analysis around. Love the odds & ends and stats. Thanks regardless!
SweepToTheCup is offline   Reply With Quote