Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:
Flames Flames recall Gillies

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...?tid=282300716

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies on an emergency basis from the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League. The Flames also announced that goalie Mike Smith is listed as day to day with an upper body injury.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

good.

but I was hoping it was going to be Rittich
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emergency means no using IR right? Couldn't remember the CBA.

I would have also liked to see Rittich but I can understand Treliving wanting to keep the older, better stats guy behind in Stockton as a steadying presence. It's a shrewd call to keep him playing confidently while Gillies sits on the Flames bench. I don't anticipate Jon getting more than 1 start if he gets any net time at all - he's the emergency backup and will be played as such.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Can Gillies even start, as the emergency backup?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

There was talk that Smith's injury could be a concussion. Although earlier in the season his shoulder was visibly bothering him. Have we heard anything more specific than an upper body injury?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Can Gillies even start, as the emergency backup?
I don't see why not. I think the emergency call up is more for being compliant with roster numbers by allowing the team to be above the limit in emergency situations. Whether the team decides to play the player or not would be up to them I would think.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Yes, although, the only difference is that Smith would have to be out for a week if he was placed on IR.

For goalies, it doesn't really matter that much because you can always do an emergency recall if you only have 2 on your regular roster.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it matter whether it is an emergency call-up or not right now?

I thought the call-up limit mattered only after the trade deadline?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Does it matter whether it is an emergency call-up or not right now?

I thought the call-up limit mattered only after the trade deadline?
I think it lets them call up Gillies without having to put someone on waivers.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
good.

but I was hoping it was going to be Rittich
In (extremely) limited play last year, Gillies did everything he was asked to do at the NHL level and posted an impressive win in his first NHL game.

Gillies - 1GP (60 mins), 1.00 GAA, .964 Save %
Rittich - 1GP (20 mins), 3.00 GAA, .900 Save %

Goalies are tough to understand, and some amazing AHL goalies never translate to the NHL - while some mediocre AHL goalies develop into solid NHL goalies.

It's a position that is all about seizing the moment, and Gillies definitely did his part last year.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith is day to day - Lack is going to get at least two games unless he completely implodes, so it's entirely likely Gillies never sees the ice.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

I would have also liked to see Rittich but I can understand Treliving wanting to keep the older, better stats guy behind in Stockton as a steadying presence. It's a shrewd call to keep him playing confidently while Gillies sits on the Flames bench. I don't anticipate Jon getting more than 1 start if he gets any net time at all - he's the emergency backup and will be played as such.
I think Treliving's plan for Rittich is keep him in the AHL as a back-up and lose him for nothing. Absolutely nothing that has taken place would make me think anything otherwise. We'll see if he's right about Gillies and Rittich in the next few years. Seems like a waste to me.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stockton doesn't play till Friday and Saturday. Chances are Gillies backs up Lack in Detroit and then heads down to back up Rittich on Friday and then Starts in Stockton on Saturday.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I think Treliving's plan for Rittich is keep him in the AHL as a back-up and lose him for nothing. Absolutely nothing that has taken place would make me think anything otherwise. We'll see if he's right about Gillies and Rittich in the next few years. Seems like a waste to me.
Rittich is still an RFA this summer.. so the clock isn't ticking.. hopefully one of Gillies/Rittich graduates next season to the NHL.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Treliving's plan for Rittich is keep him in the AHL as a back-up and lose him for nothing. Absolutely nothing that has taken place would make me think anything otherwise.
Right, because we all know Treliving has the IQ of a turnip and is bound to do the most stupid thing imaginable for the most stupid reason we can think of.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

F U Upshall ...
Old 11-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Stockton doesn't play till Friday and Saturday. Chances are Gillies backs up Lack in Detroit and then heads down to back up Rittich on Friday and then Starts in Stockton on Saturday.
Part of the decision could well have been about who Huska planned on starting next game. If it was Rittich, he'd probably rather he wasn't travelling more than necessary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #18
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see Gullies get a start but riding pine is the likely option. Gulutzan has been vocal about liking Lacks effort in practices so its only fair he gets the net after waiting patiently for starts.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Part of the decision could well have been about who Huska planned on starting next game. If it was Rittich, he'd probably rather he wasn't travelling more than necessary.
Into the second season and it's quite clear that the plan is for Rittch to be back-up or 1b with no more than a third of the starts regardless of stats and results. Would love to hear a reasonable argument otherwise but can't fathom what it would be.

Being too hard on Treliving? Sure, maybe Rittich gets traded before we lose him for nothing but seems pretty clear he's not in the future plans of the club.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Into the second season and it's quite clear that the plan is for Rittch to be back-up or 1b with no more than a third of the starts regardless of stats and results. Would love to hear a reasonable argument otherwise but can't fathom what it would be.

Being too hard on Treliving? Sure, maybe Rittich gets traded before we lose him for nothing but seems pretty clear he's not in the future plans of the club.

Over last season and the start of this season Rittich has started 35 games while Gillies has started 47 games. That’s pretty even and considering that Gillies younger and had no prior professional experience I can see the rationale for thinking he may need slightly more starts to develop as opposed to Rittich who is older and already had experience with the rigors or professional hockey. It also wouldn’t surprise if the organization sees greater upside in Gillie than Rittich.

There is more to the story than save percentage alone.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote