Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
So awesome that legendary U of A coach 87 year old Clare Drake is being admitted.

Pioneer in modern concepts , principles and tactics that are prevalent in modern NHL coaching today.

Brilliant man and way overdue.
agreed. I was wondering if he was ever going to get in.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #22
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I am good with Selanne and Kariya getting in. Recchi is a stretch and a flat no for Andreychuk.

Andreychuk played in the high scoring 80's, almost all of them, yet no 100 point seasons, only 2 90 point seasons, and 2 80 point seasons. You did not game plan around Dave Andreychuk, at no point was he in the conversation for best player or even top 5 player in the NHL. He was a stat accumulator. If his career ends in 1993-94 he has 908 points. From then through 2005-2006 he averaged 39 points a season getting 430 of his points.

Mark Recchi at least had 3 one hundred points seasons and was much closer to a PPG player, but like I said, he is borderline too.

Glad to see Kariya get recognized. Everyone always points to Lindros for having his career ruined by concussions, but people seem to forget that Kariya's was too.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I am good with Selanne and Kariya getting in. Recchi is a stretch and a flat no for Andreychuk.
While I understand the sentiment about Recchi, namely that he benefited from playing with better players, do you really think it's plausible to keep out the NHL's 12th all-time leading scorer? I don't think it's a stretch, I think he was always a lock to get in eventually.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
It's about time Dave Andreychuk got in.
disagree. the kind of guy who shouldn't get in. it's the hall of fame, not the hall of guys who played for a long time.

he was a good player for a long time. that's it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #25
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You must be joking. Paul Karina twice scored +100 points in an era of stifling defence and an emphasis on obstruction. He suffered through several injury plagued seasons as a result of the NHL's refusal to implement their own rules, and he was easily one of the most dynamic and skilled players of his era.
Right - the defence was so stifling that his first 100 point season he was one of ten other 100 guys and 5 others were withing 5 points of 100. - His second 100 pt season came on Selanne's wing. And for all those 100 pt season - made the playoffs only 3 times with the ducks and only six times overall. Doesn't spell winner to me. Sure, he won the Byng twice - but even watching Gaudreau win it felt a little hollow. Skilled & Dynamic - did he change the way wingers were perceived? Change how wingers play the game? Break any records?

10 years from now people will remember Kayria's career like they do Bernie Federko's.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Pretty weird statement for someone who gave us one of the most memorable moments in Stanley Cup Final History.

Whenever I think of a Stevens hit, I think of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JC7xyBuHrc

See - Kayria isn't even the most memorable hit!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fleury and Vernon have a decent chance of getting in next year. Brodeur is the only lock of the 2018 eligibles. Fourth could be Moginly.

Last edited by Nsd1; 06-26-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #28
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Dave Andreychuk is the prototypical Hall Of Very Good player.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Right - the defence was so stifling that his first 100 point season he was one of ten other 100 guys and 5 others were withing 5 points of 100. - His second 100 pt season came on Selanne's wing. And for all those 100 pt season - made the playoffs only 3 times with the ducks and only six times overall. Doesn't spell winner to me. Sure, he won the Byng twice - but even watching Gaudreau win it felt a little hollow. Skilled & Dynamic - did he change the way wingers were perceived? Change how wingers play the game? Break any records?

10 years from now people will remember Kayria's career like they do Bernie Federko's.
Kariya was one of the best players in the league in his prime. That's really how I think the induction criteria should be based on. Statistical milestones should be weighted lower.

If you want to talk about his legacy to the game, look at all the small asian players drafted this year. Two of Japanese descent went in the first round alone. Not to mention him building a fanbase in Anaheim.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #30
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not one player on that list is not worthy of the hall.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #31
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

For someone who makes the statement 'does anybody even remember Kariya's time in the NHL', you sure seem to know quite a bit more about him than you let on.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Erm, Kariya is definitely a HHOF calibre player, but I find the "built a fanbase in Anaheim" argument rather specious given attendance in Anaheim declined every year he was there, except for his last. Winning the Stanley Cup is what built a fanbase there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

This is the Kariya hit I remember the most
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #34
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Kariya was one of the best players in the league in his prime. That's really how I think the induction criteria should be based on. Statistical milestones should be weighted lower.

If you want to talk about his legacy to the game, look at all the small asian players drafted this year. Two of Japanese descent went in the first round alone. Not to mention him building a fanbase in Anaheim.
So, if you are the best player in the game for two years, that makes you HHOF material? Even if all you win is a couple of secondary trophies. In Kayria's era, I don't think anyone puts him the top 10 players - Lidstorm, Selanne, Jagr, Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Sundin, Stevens, Hasek, Yashin, Modano, Fleury, LeClair - Sure, he could play with the best of them, but so could a lot of other guys. I don't think that makes one a HHOFer.

Did he build the fan base in Anahiem - Or did that really start in Year 2 when Selanne showed up.

I don't think his ethnic background got play beyond his draft year or the year they went to the final. Those two kids of Asian background probably never got to see him play. But does being an inspiration to kids of your background make you a HHOF? If so, then Fleury fits the bill - Metis backgroud. But then so does Allan Bester (Jewish goalies unite!).
Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #35
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
For someone who makes the statement 'does anybody even remember Kariya's time in the NHL', you sure seem to know quite a bit more about him than you let on.
Hockey Database .com - It's all in there. The guys on the selection committee should have taken a look.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #36
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome
Kariya was one of my favorite players growing up
Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #37
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Not one player on that list is not worthy of the hall.
Only Selanne

And Andreychuk can go f#@k himself

Last edited by ricosuave; 06-26-2017 at 02:55 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #38
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Dave Andreychuk is the prototypical Hall Of Very Good player.
It's tough - where do you draw the line on longevity.

Even if you don't have a great top end (best season he was 4th in goals and 9th in points), you have to have some reward for being able to play at a high level for a very long time.

Even if he wasn't great at his peak the 640 goals have to be rewarded and are very impressive.

What I also find funny is that we keep hearing this about Andreychuk today but Recchi wasn't much different.

Andreychuk - GP:1639 G: 640 P:1338 P/G:0.82
Recchi: GP: 1652 G:577 P:1533 P/G:0.93

Recchi had a higher peak and better points per game but also had the benefit of playing with prime Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Eric Lindros, & Sidney Crosby.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-26-2017 at 02:48 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right - the defence was so stifling that his first 100 point season he was one of ten other 100 guys and 5 others were withing 5 points of 100.
Isn't it 12 guys over 100, and 19 with 95 or more?

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ers-stats.html
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #40
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I thought Alfredsson would make it in
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote