Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #1421
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Dana White has already confirmed that GSP will fight Robert Whittaker in his next fight. Likely in Perth Australia in February.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #1422
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Dana White has already confirmed that GSP will fight Robert Whittaker in his next fight. Likely in Perth Australia in February.
St Pierre ain't going anywhere near Australia. Whoever he fights, whatever weight he fights at next will probably be in Montreal.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1423
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Dana White won't be making this call. It's GSP deciding what to do.

The way GSP stood in the middle of the ring and looked around after the fight, he's done what he set out to do.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #1424
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ya I don't think GSP will be doing that, Whittaker comes to the GOAT's home court or there is no fight. This card did better in Canada than Mayweather/Mcgregor. UFC knows GSP in Montreal needs to happen at least one more time in his career at least.

Last edited by Beninho; 11-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #1425
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, I just can't see the UFC taking their biggest PPV draw and put him in a timezone where the fight would either have fans watching in the middle of the night in North America, or the fighters fighting in the middle of the night.

Only way that happens is if someone in China hands them such an enormous cheque that they really dont care.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #1426
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

GSP almost looked/sounded like he expected to lose, he doesn't look like he wants that Middleweight Title.

I'm actually thinking he'll take the fight against Whitaker (wherever it may be), lose, and then promptly retire.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #1427
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
GSP almost looked/sounded like he expected to lose, he doesn't look like he wants that Middleweight Title.
Interesting.. didn't see that at all and think I'd be safe assuming the general sentiment is the opposite. He wanted that middleweight title badly, George has always been about legacy, building his resume so to speak. Only Randy Couture, BJ Penn and Connor McGregor have been two division champs, GSP added himself to that elite group Saturday night. He wanted another division title.

Now the bigger question is if he has much interest in keeping it. Think the plan is to go down and get the 170 title again, becoming only the 2nd guy to be a double champ (along with Connor). This could then set up a title fight between GSP and McGregor at 170. George would then drop the middleweight title setting up a superfight for the middleweight strap with Connor.

That superfight lets GSP add a huge name to his wins and gives Connor the potential to be the only three division champ in UFC history.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #1428
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Let me clarify, I don't think he wants this title after the next fight; I think he wants to do one defense (whether successful or not) and then retire. I agree, he did this fight to build his legacy and be a champion in two different weight classes. Whitaker is probably going to annihilate him; this would be a "passing of the torch" situation to the new crop of fighters. I think he would be comfortable losing the title; it would ensure a nice payday and his legacy would still be intact.

However, I do expect the fight to take place in a more neutral place than Canada or Australia. Probably the US somewhere.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #1429
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/...ght-at-ufc-218

Frankie Edgar injured, out of Max Holloway fight at UFC 218.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/...-jimmie-rivera

Dominick Cruz out of UFC 219 fight with Jimmie Rivera.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #1430
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone has heard of Hakeem Dawodo but he trains at Mike Miles (among other gyms) here in Calgary. He signed with UFC last week.

My wife went to Mike Miles for the last ~15 years and my two older sons took classes there for the last 1.5 years. He's a great guy. Looks like his first UFC fight will be in early 2018. Always fun to root for a local.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #1431
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fight of the year contender in progress right now on the 218 undercard. Medeiros/Oliveira. What a WAR!
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #1432
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eddie and Justin's was even crazier.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #1433
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

GSP vacates MW title. Robert Whittaker is the new champion and will defend against Rockhold in Australia at UFC 221

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/...puted-champion
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #1434
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Edmonton bans combat sports for a year while they look into the Tim Hague situation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ague-1.4440597
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #1435
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default The MMA Thread v2

Doesn’t appear to be too many people watching 222 tonight. While not a ton of great names, it’s been a pretty good card.

Dern is the future, but has holes in her game

O’Malley is gonna be something. Super dynamic and fun to watch. While he got a gift from his opponent for not being able to stand up, what a warrior for fighting on a broken foot, regardless if it’s on your back

Ortega is the real deal. Wow. Calm and sublime. Seems like a genuinely good guy too. It’ll be hard for most to not be able to get behind him.

Now wondering how long Kunitskaya will last against Cyborg...

Edit - well that was short lived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by manwiches; 03-03-2018 at 10:40 PM.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #1436
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed tonight's card as well.

Had no idea what O'Malley's opponent was doing there...even his coaches were telling him to stand up after O'Malley hurt his foot. Loved that post-fight interview as well.

Feel bad for Frankie for losing his title shot, I wonder where he goes from this.

I thought Dern won rounds 1 and 3. She is very reckless and she has a lot of work to do though.

223's card is looking really good. Hopefully Tony and Khabib can make it to the Octagon this time because that's the fight. I'm most looking forward to. I'm also pumped for the Rose-Joanna rematch as well.

Stipe-DC in July with Holloway-Ortega, Nunes-Cyborg, Johnson-Dillashaw, and the Romero-Whittaker rematch all planned for this year too. It's been a really fun time to follow MMA right now for me.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #1437
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@arielhelwani:
According to multiple sources, UFC has earmarked July for its next show in Canada. Currently, Calgary is the frontrunner to host the event (7/28). Nothing finalized at this moment, though. Could this be it, Calgary? Will the post-149 promise finally come to fruition? Stay tuned.

When it comes to locations for UFC events, nothing is locked until it’s announced. It’s as fluid as ever. But they definitely want to go to Calgary, and I’m sure that’s exciting for those who have been waiting since the 149 event fell apart.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #1438
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferguson out due to injury, Holloway will replace him vs Khabib for the real 155 lb title. Not an April fools joke.

https://twitter.com/user/status/980577727882387466
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #1439
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's up with Connor McGregor? The day after Dana White said Connor will 100% fight in the UFC in 2018, he throws a guard rail at a bus with other fighters on it??? WTF?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #1440
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

There's a warrant out for his arrest?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote