Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #521
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I swear the entire TSN crew was cheerleading for Edmonton.
I had to watch most of the game with the sound muted
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #522
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Feel bad for Reilly, the guy is a warrior.
He’s an absolute beast. Hard guy to dislike even when he plays for Edmonton.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #523
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jason Maas should have listened to the advice of his coaches.

He’s all ears..
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #524
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Maas is on right now. He KNEW the score! he wanted to get a quick stop go down and score a touch down. He looks pissed! hahaha

Has no regrets......
To me the reason that this is such an awful approach is that there are so many things you need to go right:

Field goal + no big finch return + force a two-and-out + no screwup on their own return + long touchdown drive in a minute.

Going for it on 3rd down, you really only need two things to go right: 13 yard touchdown pass + defensive hold (to get to OT); or 13 yard pass + 2 point convert + defensive hold (to win in regulation). Either of those seem far more likely than the above scenario.

Even if you turnover on downs, the following is more likely than that field goal scenario: force a two-and-out + no screwup on their own return + slightly shorter touchdown drive in a minute.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #525
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maas is getting torched on twitter.

Pete Carroll: "dumbest play call in football history"
Jason Maas: "Hold my beer"
@The_Dojoe
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #526
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did they say anything about Calgary’s challenge on the broadcast? I’ve never seen them call that “ ball was out to another receiver before contact” before. I was 100% sure that challenge was going to be successful given the replay at the stadium.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #527
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
He’s an absolute beast. Hard guy to dislike even when he plays for Edmonton.
agreed, he had the ball taken out of his hands by his coach and must be choked right now even though he is a classy guy who wont throw maas under the bus....
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #528
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Did they say anything about Calgary’s challenge on the broadcast? I’ve never seen them call that “ ball was out to another receiver before contact” before. I was 100% sure that challenge was going to be successful given the replay at the stadium.
command center makes up rules as they go along. so useless
Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #529
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
command center makes up rules as they go along. so useless
The new CFL commish has to do two things:

1. No more challenging penalties.

2. One 9-team division.

Get rid of those two headaches, and you have instant credibility.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #530
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Actually the ONLY thing that makes sense with that call is what Suitor suggets...that Maas had to be thinking it was a 6 point game.

Thats the only way that decision makes any sense what so ever and even then it is highly questionable.
He will never admit it but this has to be it. Mathematically he went against all odds there as the FG didn't accomplish anything but automatically give the Stampeders the ball back with better field position and the Eskimos needing to force a punt and still score a TD. Even if they got the punt on a 2 & out they would have had to drive likely 60-70 yards in less than 40 seconds when they were in the red zone with a manageable 3rd down. Mind boggling incompetence by one man in the organization paid to know better.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-19-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #531
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I agreed with the officials making up some reason not to call illegal contact. I have never, ever seen that excuse used in an illegal contact replay over the two seasons they have made it reviewable. That has to be some loophole they tried find as it took them five minutes to find that excuse.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #532
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the fact that the esks have a new GM this year who will likely want his own guy in there, means that Maas might be looking for a job soon.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #533
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Great western final weather.

Great game.

We were in section L at the north end. The vast majority of the game was played in the south end. 60 total points scored, 55 of them scored st the south end - I’m going to have to watch my recording to see what happened.

That FG call was awful, there are only two possible explanations, either Maas thought they were only down 6, or Maas had money on Edmonton to cover.

Lots of drops for both teams, I don’t know if the wind was a factor in that. The flags at the north end of the stadium were pointing a different way every time I looked at them. Bags, balloons, and streamers that the wind had picked up were constantly swirling around.

Didn’t hear much from the vocal esks fans behind us from about the middle of the 2nd quarter.

I was surprised how few esks fans were at the game, saw a few scattered around, but definately no large pockets. No busses come down from Edmonton this year?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #534
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Also I agreed with the officials making up some reason not to call illegal contact. I have never, ever seen that excuse used in an illegal contact replay over the two seasons they have made it reviewable. That has to be some loophole they tried find as it took them five minutes to find that excuse.
How can you agree with the CFL making a call like that for the first time all year in the Western Final? That a penalty all year long until tonight.

I think it’s the right call, but the right call hasn’t been made all year. Unless the play is on a receiver whom the ball was thrown to, you shouldn’t be able to challenge. They need to make that a rule, but you don’t adhoc it in a Western Conference Championship Game.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #535
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the Jason Maas after the game interview. He owned up to his mistake and he showed his total confidence with his defense. Unfortunately at the same time he did not show any confidence with his offense. He knew the score and his reasoning was get the 3 points then let his defense get them back the ball. Problem was his decision on that drive was very inconsistent. Wouldn't be easier to try to get the FG points on the first 3rd gamble then let his defense do the work and try to get the offense another chance? Maybe he doesn't have any confidence with his kicker.
Still, that was a bad call. He should gambled the 3rd down instead of kicking a FG. Then hope for the Eskimos offense to score a TD and go for OT. Too bad for him game is over and he cannot change the outcome of the game now. At least he did not blame anyone but himself. I couldn't say the same thing if that was Chris Jones.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #536
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How can you agree with the CFL making a call like that for the first time all year in the Western Final? That a penalty all year long until tonight.

I think it’s the right call, but the right call hasn’t been made all year. Unless the play is on a receiver whom the ball was thrown to, you shouldn’t be able to challenge. They need to make that a rule, but you don’t adhoc it in a Western Conference Championship Game.
I don't agree with it. It looked to me like there was contact before the pass so I don't even know how they could say the contact was after the pass. They have never used that loophole before in the past few years so to use it in a big game like this I can only assume they were trying to give the Eskimos the benefit of the doubt and keep the game close which is BS.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #537
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo and run game were awesome. Good job with hitting them with Finch. Messam played well.

Receivers, not so great. Jorden with 3 drops. Parker with a huge drop. Daniels invisible. Hopefully they step up next week now.

OL was solid; good running lanes, good downfield blocks, good protection.

DL was good; good to Reilly couple of times. Other times I'm sure the esks were holding, shut down Gable as well.

LB awesome as always.

Secondary was up and down; Wall has really struggled all year and I'm willing to bet Walker was his assignment on that blown coverage. Evans had a really good game. Campbell was good too. Bell was mediocre as usual. Smith was outstanding.

STs were above average.

Let's finish it this time.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #538
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't agree with it. It looked to me like there was contact before the pass so I don't even know how they could say the contact was after the pass. They have never used that loophole before in the past few years so to use it in a big game like this I can only assume they were trying to give the Eskimos the benefit of the doubt and keep the game close which is BS.
Even if that is the rule, the Eskimos cornerback was still holding on to Daniels past 5 yards and the ball has not left Bo's hand, so even that part of the ruling is shady. The right team emerged victorious, but they need to get Glen Johnson out of the Command Centre.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #539
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Jason Maas should have listened to the advice of his coaches.

He’s all ears..
Old 11-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #540
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry Jones has his column out...

Asked if he was surprised by the Maas decision to go for the field goal, Stampeders coach Dave Dickenson dodged it.

“Decisions are always going to be questioned,” he said. “Every coach has a reason. I’ll let their guys answer that question.”

Eskimos quarterback Reilly dodged it, too.

“I put faith in our coaching staff to make the right decisions. I’d never question that,” he said.

“Me, personally, I’d have liked to go for it,” said receiver Vidal Hazelton. “But I believe in our coaching staff. And whatever call they make, we’re going to run with it.”

“To me, it was a classic,” said Dickenson. “To start they took a very big chunk out of us and looked like they were going to run away with it. Then our players came back and I felt like we were in control. Then all of a sudden it came down to the last play.

“They looked like they had our number. We just said ‘Let’s fight. Let’s make sure we fight.’ I thought we could come back. I think you saw our real team in the last three quarters and it’s a good team.”

There’s no taking away from the Stampeders season or their win. But that call by Jason Maas with third and four on the 13-yard line is going to live on in Edmonton Eskimos history.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/footba...monton-eskimos