Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #21
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You could absolutely do a story line on Darth Bane and the founding of the rule of two.
Yes please.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know who would make an amazing Bane? Tom Hardy.

He even looks like Bane, he's certainly built like Bane who was discribed as huge and muscular due to a life working in mines.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #23
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id love to see Mark Strong as a Star Wars villain.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #24
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering how long it will be before people complain about Johnson ruining their childhood. Probably won't happen after Last Jedi, probably will after the first installment of this new trilogy.

I'm not familiar with his work really other than watching Looper and the episodes he's directed of Breaking Bad. He's apparently good at what he does. Hopefully that's enough for SW fans.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah it's weird. Like we all know theyre taking over the world, but theyre making it fun to watch so....
They are doing what they do selling childhood nostalgia to adults and the next gen of children.

Less evil that google/Facebook/Amazon
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm wondering how long it will be before people complain about Johnson ruining their childhood. Probably won't happen after Last Jedi, probably will after the first installment of this new trilogy.

I'm not familiar with his work really other than watching Looper and the episodes he's directed of Breaking Bad. He's apparently good at what he does. Hopefully that's enough for SW fans.
Looper was great, but my favorite movie of his is called Brick. It's a detective story that takes place in and around a modern high school, but the characters all speak in 40s-style noir dialogue. Very cool and unique movie.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #27
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Looper was great, but my favorite movie of his is called Brick. It's a detective story that takes place in and around a modern high school, but the characters all speak in 40s-style noir dialogue. Very cool and unique movie.

Brick is stunningly amazing and one of my top 5 movies of all time.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #28
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very interested to see what happens with this. I’m going to assume that we’re looking at an entirely different era in the timeline, as it would be sort of weird trying to get invested in a whole new trilogy that takes place around the same time as the others. Vader, Palpatine, Luke, etc. are the apex characters of their time, so we need to either do a major fast forward or a rewind to have the characters and events seem truly important.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

One of my favourite movies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #30
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to see a new story, new characters, new planets, new everything. Star Wars is already starting to feel stale to me (I never thought I would say that.) There;s a whole galaxy to play in.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #31
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #32
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I want to see a new story, new characters, new planets, new everything. Star Wars is already starting to feel stale to me (I never thought I would say that.) There;s a whole galaxy to play in.
It's an interesting challenge for the people making this next set of movies - what makes a movie a Star Wars movies if you don't know any of the characters or settings? Is it the X-Wings and Tie Fighters that make it a SW movie? Jedi and Sith? Lasers and lightsabers? The sounds and the score? The opening crawl? What if the new movies only have some of these things? Can you imagine a SW movie where not one laser is shot, not one lightsaber is ignited, no one uses or mentions The Force?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #33
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's an interesting challenge for the people making this next set of movies - what makes a movie a Star Wars movies if you don't know any of the characters or settings? Is it the X-Wings and Tie Fighters that make it a SW movie? Jedi and Sith? Lasers and lightsabers? The sounds and the score? The opening crawl? What if the new movies only have some of these things? Can you imagine a SW movie where not one laser is shot, not one lightsaber is ignited, no one uses or mentions The Force?
I think you would definitely have to stick to Star Wars lore to a certain extent (the Force, lightsaber duels, sound effects, music score, etc..). But you could easily take all that stuff and write a brand new story arc around it with new characters, ships, and planets in a different part of the galaxy.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can put any movie archetype in the universe and it will work.

Rouge One was a Heist Movie / war movie
The OT is the heros Journey, So are the new ones
You could make a Rom Com, a thriller, a buddy comedy, a murder mystery, a horror, or whatever type of archetype of movie and then add in the stars wars elements.

The stale part of Star Wars and most super hero movies is the Creation Myth and the heroes journey. Being different while being in the same universe is why Thor Ragnarok is so well received.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Wait, didn't TFA have all new planets, all new characters etc.

They even went out of their way to kill off a major character.

There is a whole galaxy out there, unfortunately its tied together on a metaphysical level, that no matter what pervades every story, and that's the war on the Force plane.

The human's are really the backstory to the battle between good and evil controlled by an energy field that binds the galaxy together and is always either out of balance or losing its balance.

Plus the Star Wars storyline is always about the fate of the galaxy on the whole, part of its charm is the massive costs and risks to the participants.

Also laser swords man, laser swords.

I would still love to see a beyond old republic story to the start of the Jedi Order and the break between the Jedi that lead to the founding of the Sith.

Plus it would be cool to see lightsabers that were hooked up by a cable to a battery back pack.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you can put any movie archetype in the universe and it will work.

Rouge One was a Heist Movie / war movie
The OT is the heros Journey, So are the new ones
You could make a Rom Com, a thriller, a buddy comedy, a murder mystery, a horror, or whatever type of archetype of movie and then add in the stars wars elements.

The stale part of Star Wars and most super hero movies is the Creation Myth and the heroes journey. Being different while being in the same universe is why Thor Ragnarok is so well received.
Ha, you could even make a Christmas special!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
"rian johnson" , "star wars"