Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #3161
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems the ideal solution would have been to rename 'Sarcee' from Glenmore to 16 ave Nw (approx 9km) 'Tsuu T'ina Trail' and leave the entire ring road as Stoney. As it is, they are getting ~13km of naming rights...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #3162
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't matter how they rename the roads, we mostly will refer them with the original name. I still call 22x the 22x, not the Spruce Meadows Trail sponsored by Atco Energy whatever crap it is. Same as say I will tell my friends to meet me at the Cineplex at Chinook rather than the Scotiabank Theatre....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #3163
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Doesn't matter how they rename the roads, we mostly will refer them with the original name. I still call 22x the 22x, not the Spruce Meadows Trail sponsored by Atco Energy whatever crap it is. Same as say I will tell my friends to meet me at the Cineplex at Chinook rather than the Scotiabank Theatre....
Don't forget poor Marquis of Lorne, who had a trail until those bastards went and completed Stoney and ripped the name right off the green signs.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #3164
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tsuu'tina Trail eh. Can't wait for the headache that is typing it into google maps or trying to get Google to understand what I'm saying.

Would have been far too logical to name the entire ring road one thing, or name each section its own.

Can't wait for some out of town schmuck who has to go from Stoney, to Tsutina, to Sarcee, onto the TCH, back onto Stoney, then to the Sarcee in the NW.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #3165
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Paramount Famous Players, you mean.

Last edited by timun; 08-13-2019 at 05:06 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #3166
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Tsuu'tina Trail eh. Can't wait for the headache that is typing it into google maps or trying to get Google to understand what I'm saying.

Would have been far too logical to name the entire ring road one thing, or name each section its own.

Can't wait for some out of town schmuck who has to go from Stoney, to Tsutina, to Sarcee, onto the TCH, back onto Stoney, then to the Sarcee in the NW.
I dunno, in theory it sound since to have it all be one name, but then you run into "go northbound on Stoney", but is that Stoney east or west? And if you have to specify, then you have 2 road names. Each leg would be fine with a separate name, with the exception of the NW, they all have logical change points.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #3167
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, in theory it sound since to have it all be one name, but then you run into "go northbound on Stoney", but is that Stoney east or west? And if you have to specify, then you have 2 road names. Each leg would be fine with a separate name, with the exception of the NW, they all have logical change points.
Referring to it as lockwise and counter-clockwise would be logical. But that'll never catch on here. It works for the M25 in London quite nicely though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #3168
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two Stoney Trail at Country Hills Boulevard intersections.

Wanna go east on Stoney? Take the north exit. Wanna go west? Take the south exit.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #3169
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There are two Stoney Trail at Country Hills Boulevard intersections.

Wanna go east on Stoney? Take the north exit. Wanna go west? Take the south exit.
Stoney actually has a few "duplicate" intersections. Country Hills, Deerfoot, 16th Avenue/Trans Canada, and eventually Glenmore.

One of my peeves is when a traffic report talks about an accident at Stoney and Country Hills, for example, but neglects the state the quadrant. An important detail.

Yet on a non-traffic news story they do the opposite. "An incident in the city's southwest!" despite that being a ridiculously vague and useless descriptor in a city this size. And then it ends up being half a block off of centre street downtown...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #3170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, "accident at the onramp of Stoney at 16th ave" is not very helpful.

They could have gone with 2 names though. One for the west and north, and one for the east and south.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #3171
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might as well keep it the naming as confusing as Crowchild.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #3172
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Stoney actually has a few "duplicate" intersections. Country Hills, Deerfoot, 16th Avenue/Trans Canada, and eventually Glenmore.

One of my peeves is when a traffic report talks about an accident at Stoney and Country Hills, for example, but neglects the state the quadrant. An important detail.

Yet on a non-traffic news story they do the opposite. "An incident in the city's southwest!" despite that being a ridiculously vague and useless descriptor in a city this size. And then it ends up being half a block off of centre street downtown...
You think that's fun? Try being a 911 Operator, and getting people to tell you exactly where on Stoney they are...

"I'M ON STONEY! THE ONLY ONE IN THE CITY! STOP WITH YOUR STUPID QUESTIONS AND JUST GET HERE NOW!"
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #3173
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wait for "Im at the intersection of Stoney and Sarcee, and the suspect is traveling in the direction of Stoney and Country Hills".
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #3174
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

Thankfully they won't have to worry about that as they can stay on the ring road (Stoney/Tsuu tina) all the way from wherever they are starting in the south to Sarcee in the north. They never have to take Sarcee (south) or the TCH once the road is complete.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #3175
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

New southwest ring road connections done, but you can't use them yet

Lines painted, lights installed, but no driving on Southland Drive, 90th Avenue extensions until 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...city-1.5345183

Just something to torture anyone living in and around the area before we all sigh and head towards a gridlocked 14th street.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #3176
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were a kid and lived in the area that'd be my new favorite place to play. Street hockey, skateboarding bike ramps...it'd be like an amusement park.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #3177
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Just something to torture anyone living in and around the area before we all sigh and head towards a gridlocked 14th street.
I see the city websites are still claiming that construction will be done this year.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #3178
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #3179
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kinda silly they won't open the connector, but I suppose they might be concerned about the traffic on 90th.

Also, lol @ thinking this is closed to cyclists and pedestrians.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #3180
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
New southwest ring road connections done, but you can't use them yet

Lines painted, lights installed, but no driving on Southland Drive, 90th Avenue extensions until 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...city-1.5345183

This is great news. The city has actually gotten pretty good at building roads the past few years, planning not so much.