Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #201
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
I don't believe this is about greed. I think it is about sticking it to the white man.
Well, from past articles prior to the vote, it was mentioned that Big Plume thought he had done well with the negotiation for future generations, and was fully behind in the plan and confident about the result. Word is he was shocked at the result....so after a few weeks of dusting himself off, he does have to stick up for the band's decision to save the band and his own face or he'll be punted as band leader. This after he proclaimed when he got elected 4 or so years ago that the road would be built and would also secure the band's future financially at the same time. He's done neither.

As mentioned above, the "guarantee" reasons he's publically using for it falling apart are dubious at best (and I think he knows it). Using the last resort in blaming the other party for last minute changes/vauge agreement wording is complete BS, after the fact that he gave it the green light for weeks before, but he has no choice now but to stand up for his band and appear strong.

Is the press conference just for PR so that he'll get some bleeding heart support? Who knows, but not sure what good it would do..its just for the appearances within the band. I guess there is a chance it may be a cover too, as I said, appear strong outwardly, and then if and when he comes secretly crawling back to the province in the next few weeks to ask them to keep the same deal but re-word in someway it so he looks like he's "won", he can again, save face.

If its done its done..the city rightly is moving ahead and getting its already drafted Plan B plans, probably firmed up in a couple months. If he or the band wants to reconsider what they're passing up on, they have a very short window to come back to the province, and stop crying over spilt milk...there's no blame to be assigned here as he's trying to intimate.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #202
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
If he or the band wants to reconsider what they're passing up on, they have a very short window to come back to the province, and stop crying over spilt milk.
The sound bite that was aired on QR77 had him saying "We are in no hurry- we are Tsuu T'ina."

Somebody should tell him that while they might not be in a hurry; their only customer is.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #203
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of activity at the Deerfoot and Stoney Trail intersection. Exit signs are on leaning in the ditch waiting to be put up over the road. Could see that final NW section complete soon!!

Also, I see that the Tuscany bridge is nearly complete and have droves of workers there every day. However, a few seconds up the road at the Crowchild bridge, it seems work hasn't been done there for months other than they're apparently putting another structure between the two bridges. (Future LRT bridge?). There's rarely folks working on it and makes me wonder if they're all over focusing on the Tuscany one.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #204
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell is up with the Shaganappi exit? Can only exit onto Shag North??
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #205
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
Lots of activity at the Deerfoot and Stoney Trail intersection. Exit signs are on leaning in the ditch waiting to be put up over the road. Could see that final NW section complete soon!!

Also, I see that the Tuscany bridge is nearly complete and have droves of workers there every day. However, a few seconds up the road at the Crowchild bridge, it seems work hasn't been done there for months other than they're apparently putting another structure between the two bridges. (Future LRT bridge?). There's rarely folks working on it and makes me wonder if they're all over focusing on the Tuscany one.
The rest of the ring road (NW and NE) is supposed to open in November, somewhere I heard they are aiming for Nov 1, but I don't know that for sure.

Tuscany interchange is getting close to done, should be open this summer sometime. At crowchild, the city's decision to extend the LRT means that they are now building the full buildout there, with no traffic lights. The extra bridge underway is for the LRT, another construction tender just closed last week for the other four remaining bridges that will need to be completed (Stoney southbound to Crowchild Eastbound ramp over Crowchild trail; and one each for the EB lanes, WB lanes, and the LRT over the Northbound Stoney to Westbound Crowchild ramp). The detour is going to be in place at least another year, unfortunately.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #206
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
What the hell is up with the Shaganappi exit? Can only exit onto Shag North??
The original plan was to have no exits, at least until the rest of the interchange is finished in the future. The ramps serving the north were added to aid the residential communities north of Stoney.

All the grading is complete to finish all the ramps and flyovers sometime in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #207
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The rest of the ring road (NW and NE) is supposed to open in November, somewhere I heard they are aiming for Nov 1, but I don't know that for sure.

Tuscany interchange is getting close to done, should be open this summer sometime. At crowchild, the city's decision to extend the LRT means that they are now building the full buildout there, with no traffic lights. The extra bridge underway is for the LRT, another construction tender just closed last week for the other four remaining bridges that will need to be completed (Stoney southbound to Crowchild Eastbound ramp over Crowchild trail; and one each for the EB lanes, WB lanes, and the LRT over the Northbound Stoney to Westbound Crowchild ramp). The detour is going to be in place at least another year, unfortunately.
Holy crap! I had no idea Crowchild had so much more to do. Where's the LRT extending to?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #208
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
Holy crap! I had no idea Crowchild had so much more to do. Where's the LRT extending to?
The Tuscany station will be pretty much right where Rocky Ridge Road currently intersects Crowchild.

Here's the latest update from Alberta Transportation for the Crowchild Stoney Interchange.

Tuscany LRT Station page from the city's website.

Tuscany Interchange update.

All the Calgary ring road information.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 08-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #209
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The original plan was to have no exits, at least until the rest of the interchange is finished in the future. The ramps serving the north were added to aid the residential communities north of Stoney.

All the grading is complete to finish all the ramps and flyovers sometime in the future.
Not a fan of that because it pretty much renders the Ring Road useless to me.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #210
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Not a fan of that because it pretty much renders the Ring Road useless to me.
I don't really understand the reasoning either. It wouldn't cost that much (compared to the cost of the whole project) to have paved all those ramps.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #211
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really understand the reasoning either. It wouldn't cost that much (compared to the cost of the whole project) to have paved all those ramps.
It really just makes me shake my head. For anyone in Edgemont, Hamptons, Sandstone and the west end of Hidden Valley they either have to drive to Sarcee or Beddington.

And I thought they were anticipating the extra traffic with the Ring Road when they widened Shaganappi between Edgemont Blvd. and Hidden Valley Dr.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #212
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The best part of that map is the link they added to the Deerfoot/Glenmore construction that will begin next year. Now they have to get on fixing their mistake at Deerfoot/Anderson/Bow Bottom
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #213
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
mistake at Deerfoot/Anderson/Bow Bottom
That one was actually fixed up as much as they could do a few years ago. The length of the weave was pretty much doubled.

I know, because I can type twice as many words on my blackberry while a do the weave there as I used to.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #214
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It really just makes me shake my head. For anyone in Edgemont, Hamptons, Sandstone and the west end of Hidden Valley they either have to drive to Sarcee or Beddington.

And I thought they were anticipating the extra traffic with the Ring Road when they widened Shaganappi between Edgemont Blvd. and Hidden Valley Dr.

I know it cost money but would it not have made sense to build an overpass at Country Hills and Shaganappi? That is a pretty major intersection and they have lots of room to build it. They add a few lanes (that seem to take forever to get done) but for a few extra bucks they should have added an overpass.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #215
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That one was actually fixed up as much as they could do a few years ago. The length of the weave was pretty much doubled.
They fixed it up as much as they could do cheaply. The road still goes from five lanes to two, including the merge off of Southland, in less than a kilometre. Deerfoot should have been at least three lanes through a long, long time ago.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #216
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

And when the Stoney/Shag interchange is complete, the existing entrance to Sherwood will be relocated to the north to 128 Ave north.

Quote:

tigger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #217
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I know it cost money but would it not have made sense to build an overpass at Country Hills and Shaganappi? That is a pretty major intersection and they have lots of room to build it. They add a few lanes (that seem to take forever to get done) but for a few extra bucks they should have added an overpass.
yeah, I thought that's what they were doing initially. It does seem silly.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #218
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are they starting up on the interchange at 37th and Glenmore anytime soon? Didn't I read that right after the TT voted down the ring road they already had a plan for 37th interchange and were going to start ASAP?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #219
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

^ Probably just fast tracking the design and construction of it. They probobly had a pretty good idea of what they wanted, so that part of the process won't have to be done.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #220
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup. They still have to do the public consultations and the like. At best, they might break ground late next year? Probably 2011, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: