Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will the workload look like in Calgary this year
Rittich 50/30 70 31.67%
Rittich 45/35 75 33.94%
Even 38 17.19%
Talbot 45/35 27 12.22%
Talbot 50/30 11 4.98%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #21
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plan on even, but ride the hot hand when possible.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm a little more concerned about Talbot giving up the first shot of the game. That was funny when he was an Oiler. Not so much now.
Can’t be any worse than what we got from Smith the first half of the year.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is almost an impossible question to answer at the moment.

I guessed a 50-30 split for Rittich, but in reality, the Flames are very much entering the season on a gamble.

Rittich has never been a starter - physical and mental fatigue is a thing, and so is the pressure from being a starter.

Talbot has been a starter - a really good one at that, albeit the sample size wasn't really very long. He crumbled under the pressure (I would argue that the Oilers are a goalie graveyard due to their lack of structure and defensive ability). I am not surprised that Talbot crumbled in Edmonton, but can he recover his game?

Now I called the goaltending situation a gamble, and there is little argument that it is anything but a gamble. However, I do like this 'gamble'. Rittich has shown a lot of promise last year, and I do think one can reasonably expect at least a bit of a resurgence with Talbot. Maybe he rebounds just enough to become a reliable backup, maybe he rebounds enough where he ends up wrestling the starter's role away from Rittich (and I believe this organization is hoping that Rittich becomes that starter this year).

It is the old story of the 'young prospect' (not that Rittich is very young, but hasn't had much of an NHL career yet) vs. the old veteran (though Talbot hasn't exactly had a lengthy run as a starter, but he was exceptional for a while and carried a sad sack of a team on his back for a long enough stretch to make me a believer). I think you don't have to be very optimistic to view this the goaltending situation as generally positive, but it isn't without question marks either.

Given the Rittich's performance last season, Talbot's likeliness (IMO) of rebounding at least to a satisfactory level, the prospects like Parsons (blue chipper in my opinion), Gillies (who actually looked better than I thought in his NHL games, AHL stats be damned), Zagidulin (who I know nothing about, really) and Schneider (who just has a funny way of unexpectedly exceeding expectations), I like the terms of these contracts. I didn't include Wolf since he is arguably too far away, but even then you never know as the guy he replaced and was backing-up is now in the NHL after all. I also approve of this move given either the acquisition costs or the contracts being handed out for proven starters at the height of their games, and even then there were question marks on nearly all of them.

I think given Rittich's age and upswing in his development, he is going to end up playing ~50 games. Anything can happen, but I believe that this organization WANTS Rittich to be that starter, and I think he can be. It is up to Rittich to reward the Flames for believing in him, and it is also up to Talbot to wrestle as many starts away from Rittich due to his own performance. Should be interesting to see what happens in net, but I will be surprised if the Flames don't see at least middle-of-the-pack type of numbers in SV% this season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think the split should be determined by play but I'd give Rittich game 1.

That being said, I don't think Peters has that much faith in BSD, so I wouldn't be surprised if Talbot ends up as 1A
Based on what, exactly? I know people really feel;t that Rittich got the short end of the stick last year, and that he deserved a lot more starts than what he was given. But given the fact that he was playing in only his second full NHL season, and playing with a seasoned starter with more than a decade of experience it becomes crystal clear why the coaches split the workload the way that they did. Rittich started more games last year than he has in his entire professional playing career. This, to me, speaks much more directly to his usage than any supposed preferential treatment on the part of the coaches.

I voted a 50/30 split with Rittich taking the majority of starts. The Flames appear to have been easing him into a starting role, and the time for him is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #25
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm expecting the team to ride the hot hand and to take a "winner's net" approach to workload allocation.

Talbot has more experience, has had more success in the league, and is betting on himself with this contract. I'm betting on him too and think he ends up earning more work than Rittich over the course of the season. I went 45-35 for Talbot.

I kind of hope I'm wrong as it would.mean another step forward for Rittich, which would ultimately be best for the team. But it's nice to have two goalies that can reasonably be expected to give quality starts more often than not.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I went with a 50-30 split.

David Rittich is being groomed to be the team's number one, Talbot is there for short-term insurance.

Odder things have happened though. Maybe Talbot grabs the ball and runs with it, has a career rejuvenation and earns a contract extension.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #27
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Talbot wins the net more than loses it. Therefore gets more games. I'm still not completely sold on Rittich, there's just something missing for me when I watch him play.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #28
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got to admit I was a bit upset while reading through this thread. Seems like many posters are not very high on the best Flames goalie since Kipper. But thinking about it, Talbot has nothing to lose while Rittich has everything to lose. Talbot has way more experience being a full time starter. But it was on a terrible team without any real defenceman, I am really curious to see what he can do behind Gio. He can steal the job for sure, but only if Rittich crumbles. BSD is in a different position now and we cannot be really sure if he can handle it. But I expect he would improve again, not by much, but something like 50 games, 30 wins with 91.5% is not far-fetched. Actually anything less than that would be a disappointment for me.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #29
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default QOTD: Goalie Split

I have a feeling that overall goaltending will still be the team’s Achilles heel throughout the season. Easy to see the world through rose coloured glasses in the summer, but historically having question marks in goal has not worked out in this franchise’s favour.

Probably a 50/30 split for Rittich and Talbot, where an especially shaky performance gets you yanked for the other guy.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #30
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe it will be to ride whomever is hot and the split will be determined by that. Win and you stay in.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #31
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I have a feeling that overall goaltending will still be the team’s Achilles heel throughout the season. Easy to see the world through rose coloured glasses in the summer, but historically having question marks in goal has not worked out in this franchise’s favour.

Probably a 50/30 split for Rittich and Talbot, where an especially shaky performance gets you yanked for the other guy.
At some point we have to give Rittich some credit don't we?

Last year 5 on 5 Rittich was ...

13th in save percentage
12th in differential to expected save percentage
28th in low danger
13th in medium danger
5th in high danger
13th in goals saved above average

This isn't a floundering keeper, he moved into the upper half of the league last year.

Big question is that knee injury and how much that made him "average" the rest of the way. Before that he was top five in almost everything.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #32
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went 45/35 Rittich but, like many, wouldn't be surprised by that being reversed in Talbot's favour.

I really like BSD and I am content the 1-year contract given to Talbot but when the Flames are next engraved on the cup I think either Gillies or Parsons will be the number 1 and Rittich will be the 1B/ backup. And I don't think it is a distant future.

Possibly this should be in the hot takes thread.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote