Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Dubois is a hell of a player. He’s an easy 4 in a re-draft.

I’m just thankful he didn’t end up in Vancouver or Edmonton.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #42
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still Laine. Love Tkachuk but Laine having one poor season doesn’t dismiss everything else.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tkachuk is clearly far superior to Laine in basically every way at the present moment. Doesn't change that Laine was the consensus #2 in 2016. But Tkachuk probably makes a good case to change that today.
Laine has the best release in hockey along with Ovi. He had some struggles in the latter half of the season but his shot is superior to Tkachuk's.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd say Tkachuk's skill at deflections and in front of the net outweighs Laine's shot quite a bit. And Matthews has a much better release.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd say Tkachuk's skill at deflections and in front of the net outweighs Laine's shot quite a bit. And Matthews has a much better release.
I see a lot of Leaf games here and Matthews does not have a better release than Laine.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #46
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally I think he does, that drag to bring the puck closer to his body and then the smooth flick he does is incredible for changing the angle on the goalie. Wish I could pull up a video but I'm on mobile

I live in Ottawa, I see a ton of games too

Last edited by TheScorpion; 08-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #47
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I see a lot of Leaf games here and Matthews does not have a better release than Laine.
I actually have to disagree here, Matthews shot is ridiculous.

And his stick is so short he basically shoots from his feet.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 08-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #48
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the question is, would I trade Chucky straight up for Laine? I don't think I would, so I guess I take Chucky over Laine, although that shot Laine has is really hard to give up on.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #49
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think Laine is still ahead, even after last season. However, one more repeat of near PPG Tkachuk and awful Laine puts Tkachuk ahead. What Tkachuk brings in terms of intangibles and grit is tough to beat.

I still can't believe both Edmonton and Vancouver passed on Tkachuk.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #50
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the intangibles and grit, tkatchuk was a complete non-factor in his 2 playoff runs.

Laine is a 30 goal scorer in a down year for him. Is there toom for growth in his game outside of scoring? Absolutely. I don't know enough about the player to comment on his drive and motivation to get there.

I think I'd be down for a laine for tkatchuk 1 for 1,not that it's even the question.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #51
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine every single time. I like Tkachuk, but Laine could be a generational scorer with the right support.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
For all the intangibles and grit, tkatchuk was a complete non-factor in his 2 playoff runs.
No. Not a complete non-factor.

Tkachuk was awesome in Game #1 of the first round this year, and he was also very good in Game #2; while I suppose this is splitting hairs a bit, clarity in language is important, and Tkachuk is still only 21-years-old. I have no concerns whatsoever about his ability to play in big games. Sometimes it takes players a while to figure it all out—Tkachuk is just way too smart and skilled to not improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-19-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

For how much "better" he is, Laine is only 10 points ahead of Tkachuk 3 years later, with 13 games in-hand (they have the same point per game rate over 3 years).

The only thing Laine does better than Tkachuk is shoot the puck, and that's hard to beat. He's a monster on the powerplay. You need goals to win, so it's basically saying "the only thing Laine does better is the more important part of the game."

That said, I see no reason for Winnipeg or Calgary to be even remotely unhappy with the player they got. Matthews is in a class by himself. Laine, Tkachuk, and Dubois are all in the same tier of player imo. Keller, McAvoy, Sergachev in the next. Jost, Chychrun, DeBrincat after that, etc.

The best thing about the 2016 draft is that we not only got one of the top 4 players drafting at #6, but that BOTH Edmonton and Vancouver completely flubbed their top 5 picks. What a wonderful day that was.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #54
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see an argument being made that Tkachuk is a better player than Laine.

I could see an argument that Debois is actually more valuable than either of them.

Laine may have the highest ceiling of the 3, but I think he has the lowest floor too.

I think the 2-4 picks are all highly debatable, and I'm happy to have one of them.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #55
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I actually have to disagree here, Matthews shot is ridiculous.

And his stick is so short he basically shoots from his feet.

I totally disagree. While AM has a more accurate shot Laine and OV are in a class of their own when it comes to lethal wrist shots.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si....-winnipeg-jets
Old 08-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #56
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love Tkachuk but I'd still take Laine. You just can't teach that shot. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes on an Ovi type streak of Rockets..
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #57
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many goals will Tkachuk and Laine score this year?

Laine had a rough year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get back to 40+ goals this year if he doesn't miss any time in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches 50 and does it a few times over his career.

Tkachuk... well, if you follow his trend, he'll have exactly 43... unfortunately trends don't work out that way. He'll get another 30-35 goals, he'll put up more assists, and he'll agitate and draw many penalties. I've seen enough of Tkachuk to know that we want him to stay in Calgary for his entire career. He is the type of player who contributes heavily to a winning atmosphere.

I wouldn't balk at having Laine though. You don't want to turn down pure goal scorerers, but I don't watch enough of him to know what his entire game is about. So it's hard for me to say which player I would have rather drafted at #2 based on what they've done so far. Based on potential I'd still go with Laine. It is still too early in their careers to definitely say one way or the other who will be better or more accomplished. My money is still on Laine, but who knows what will happen over the course of their careers.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Keith was a 50-goal scorer. Matt is more of a playmaker but he still has incredible hockey sense in tight. 40 should be easily attainable and I honestly don't think 50 is out of the question.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Now I prefer Tkachuk

At that draft? I would’ve rather had Laine.

If you look back at those threads I was a pretty big Tkachuk supporter. I was hoping we’d trade up to 4 to get him (we almost did). I wanted one of Dubois or Tkachuk but preferred Tkachuk. Tkachuk has blossomed into everything I hoped he would. You could see his potential in Marner highlight videos lol. Oh man those silly arguments that he was a product of Marner/Dvorak!

It was hard to go wrong that draft even though we didn’t land in the coveted top 3. The ledge after that had some potential star or core players.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #60
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
For how much "better" he is, Laine is only 10 points ahead of Tkachuk 3 years later, with 13 games in-hand (they have the same point per game rate over 3 years).

The only thing Laine does better than Tkachuk is shoot the puck, and that's hard to beat. He's a monster on the powerplay. You need goals to win, so it's basically saying "the only thing Laine does better is the more important part of the game."

That said, I see no reason for Winnipeg or Calgary to be even remotely unhappy with the player they got. Matthews is in a class by himself. Laine, Tkachuk, and Dubois are all in the same tier of player imo. Keller, McAvoy, Sergachev in the next. Jost, Chychrun, DeBrincat after that, etc.

The best thing about the 2016 draft is that we not only got one of the top 4 players drafting at #6, but that BOTH Edmonton and Vancouver completely flubbed their top 5 picks. What a wonderful day that was.
Agree with everything here except your view on Debrincat. He is much better than Chychrun, Jost, Sergachev, and Keller. He is almost right up there with the big dogs. Huge steal by Chicago.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i <3 matthew tkachuk!!