Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #261
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I guess Optik is like other HD providers in that it's only 720p so component is sufficient, but still..

Handshaking issues? My Starchoice HD PVR used to do that a few software revisions ago, wouldn't handshake properly every few days, but that's since been resolved.

The more I hear the less I'm liking this, with Shaw my Internet is Internet, no special hoops I have to jump through, if I want to QoS my own traffic so I can have a torrent running and still be able to play games I can do it.

They shouldn't have to have a special router with their own QoS to ensure service, they should run it completely separate like Shaw phone.. my Internet can go completely down and my Shaw phone still works fine. If it was separate I could saturate my Internet and not have any impact on the TV.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #262
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The STBs also have optical audio out.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #263
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Up to the day I took the shaw off my tv I still had daily black screens and sound drops. So maybe it worked out for you bit not all of us ( I was cable btw not sat)

btw these special hoops you speak of, again, no idea where this info is coming from. your creating your own problems for optik and then denouncing it because of them. i run torrents, stream netflix, all while recording HD and im still north of 11 Mb download with everything running smoothly.

Last edited by theonlywhiteout; 02-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #264
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
i run torrents, stream netflix, all while recording HD and im still north of 11 Mb download with everything running smoothly.
We may bicker like an old married couple... but we do have this in common... haha
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #265
photon

Exp:

Quote:
( I was cable btw not sat)
As I said I'm on Starchoice or Shaw Direct now, so a different box altogether.

Quote:
btw these special hoops you speak of, again, no idea where this info is coming from. your creating your own problems for optik and then denouncing it because of them. i run torrents, stream netflix, all while recording HD and im still north of 11 Mb download with everything running smoothly.
The special hoop is having to run their router, so I can't run a router that I think is appropriate.

I realize that with their special router the TV service will never suffer as they adjust the QoS for that, but with any Internet connection if there are torrents running that are saturating the connection, and then I try to load up and play an online game, the ping will be through the roof. The router I have I can setup my own QoS so that my torrent can be using 100% of my connection and everything else will run smoothly. I can't do this with Optik. Unless they give you access to play with the QoS rules, which I doubt.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #266
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can only lead you to water, photon. I understand your hesitations and get it... but you're really going to have to take it for my word that bandwidth, and especially pings, are not an issue on optik
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #267
photon

Exp:

All things being equal of course not, but in situations where QoS is required then all things are not equal.

It's not a Telus Optik thing, it's a network thing, if you saturate a link then the link is saturated, which means adding more things to it means everything slows down. That's one of the whole points of QoS.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #268
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Component? Component is limited to 720p and is analog, HDMI is digital, will support 1080p at higher refresh rates, and is the only way of carrying high def audio (though I doubt the PVR supports any high def audio, I don't think they are transmitted even).
Component can go up to 1080p 60hz.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #269
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Companies say that component is preferred because of HDCP compliance. They don't want to support people who call in and say HDMI is not working with their receiver or tv. The HDCP spec is incomplete as is the implementation. It's easier for telus to just say 'Just use a component cable'.

Shaw now recommends HDMI and ships the DCX 3400 with an HDMI cable.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #270
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
Component can go up to 1080p 60hz.
I guess if the connectors are good enough quality and if the tv itself supported it it would work.

Relevant only for consoles though, since broadcast tv is 1080i max and Blu-ray limits component to 720p/1080i.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #271
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Component doesn't display 120hz?

This is the first I am hearing of it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #272
photon

Exp:

If a TV displays 120Hz, the TV is doing interpolation or interleaving on a lower frequency source.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #273
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess if the connectors are good enough quality and if the tv itself supported it it would work.

Relevant only for consoles though, since broadcast tv is 1080i max and Blu-ray limits component to 720p/1080i.
Bell TV On Demand movies have 1080p. I'm not sure if it will do it on component cables though.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #274
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If a TV displays 120Hz, the TV is doing interpolation or interleaving on a lower frequency source.
So what you're telling me is, if I have a tv connected via component, the signal is coming in at 60hz and the tv is 'upconverting' (for a lack of a better term) it to 120?

If it's connected via HDMI, the signal is coming in at 120 and the tv isn't doing much?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #275
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So what you're telling me is, if I have a tv connected via component, the signal is coming in at 60hz and the tv is 'upconverting' (for a lack of a better term) it to 120?

If it's connected via HDMI, the signal is coming in at 120 and the tv isn't doing much?
In either case the TV is upconverting to 120Hz (if it's a 120Hz TV). Broadcast TV uses either 720p60 or 1080i60. As Vulcan points out I didn't know some providers are providing on demand stuff at 1080p30 or 1080p24. Blu-ray are maximum 1080p24 or 1080i30, or 720p60.

As far as I know no normal video source puts out 120Hz, the only one I could think of that could do it would be video games, and I don't think even the PS3 puts out 120Hz in games.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #276
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what exactly is the difference between component and HDMI?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #277
photon

Exp:

Component is analog, HDMI is digital.

Component uses 3 coaxial cables to transfer the video information, the brightness of the image, and the difference between the brightness and red and blue.. the green isn't sent, it's reconstructed from the other info.

HDMI transfers the information digitally. HDMI also allows transmission of audio information, Ethernet, and larger colour spaces, 3D, and much higher resolution (like 4096 x 3112)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #278
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i cant wait for cat5 cables to replace all that junk.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #279
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
i cant wait for cat5 cables to replace all that junk.
Yeah, HDBaseT can't come soon enough imo.
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #280
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Pause live TV from the non-PVR boxes.
Previous channel can now do up to 5 channels - (I don't have any details on how this works yet)
Does anyone know if this update was supposed to make pause live TV possible from the Xbox?
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote